News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Majestic Court (Markham Ctr, Times Group, 16 + 14s, Kirkor)

I might be reaching here, but I think these new Markham apartment block neighbourhoods have the opportunity to evolve into something resembling 1950s apartment block suburbia in Rome.

I am especially encouraged by the ground floor retail and the ground floor entranceways. Right now they may not look very appealing, but give it time to age and weather. If you watch old Italian movies from the 1950s and 60s that were filmed in neighbourhoods like the one I posted, you would notice just how similarly windswept and desolate they are to the area round Majestic Court.

The trick is that we continue building neighbourhoods like this as the suburban standard, rather than the exception and make sure they're all integrated into one seamless mass, rather than existing as a standalone development. This will allow the formation of an urban neighbourhood over time.

Last edited:
June 5 2009 update

Majestic Court today ~

IMG_0962.jpg

I think this is a nice corner feature at the intersection ... final metal cladding going up on those columns

IMG_0963.jpg

Any of you actually bought into any units in this area? I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences or thoughts on the area.

Thanks

The Area

I haven't bought a condo in this area, but live in one of those houses in the surrounding ... my opinion of the neighbourhood is, great area, plenty of shops and daily conveniences, easily accessible parkland, and VIVA Highway 7 makes public transit more convenient (however I still drive in Markham) :)

If you like low-density suburban office parks, dedicated overpasses to parking lots (IBM), 7-lane arterial roads, limited public transit, large big-box and retail plazas filled with generic stores, and a hostile pedestrian environment then this area is great. Sure there are a few nice parks and the Markham Theatre, but don't be fooled by these high-rises developments, it's the suburbs. It offers certain conveniences that appeal to a large portion of the population and if that's what you're after then good for you.

I'm glad to see Markham adopting an urban approach to meet their growth demands, but I wish the Markham Centre plans was a bit more comprehensive by incorporating all the different "neighbourhoods" (ie development blocks like Downtown Markham, SE corner Warden/7, Liberty blocks, etc.). There are a few street connections but they are all pretty much their own entities. The treatments along Highway 7 and Warden are ignored and they are allowed to be massive roadways imposed upon by the Region. I'm really hoping that the Times Group development (SE 7/Warden) "meets the street" a lot better than what has happened as an attempt to possibly tame the beasts that 7 and Warden are, as opposed to turning its back to them.

What are the demographics like in the area? Is it a good mix or are there a lot of young professionals, old families, young families, etc etc. Is it still a large asian community in this area of Markham?

While we like living in urban areas, we find that we simply like the feel of it and the concept. When it comes to shopping and eating, 5 days of the week we are driving out of downtown and to Markham/scarborough anyways. I am considering it because of this, but if prices are not significantly more affordable than north york I would rather live in NY and drive out to eat and shop.

I'm curious about commuting to downtown. Anyone who lives here and travel by Viva and what the experience is like? I think most would drive, but I'm thinking in worst case taking the Viva bus what's the time frame or any tips or different routes they would know.

Thanks.

There's a GO station On Enterprise Blvd, between Warden and Kennedy. You might want to give that a try.

I'm curious about commuting to downtown. Anyone who lives here and travel by Viva and what the experience is like? I think most would drive, but I'm thinking in worst case taking the Viva bus what's the time frame or any tips or different routes they would know.

Thanks.

1 - 1.5 hours - with Viva that is. That's probably your best option ... Otherwise you need to take Viva pink to GO and take a bus in - which takes the DVP, but pink doesn't have the best hours. Either way it would still be the same time frame above - maybe closer to an hour

by the time you drive to park @ Unionville GO station, wait for the train to arrive, and enjoy the approx 40 minute ride to Union Station, the total trip time would be about about an hour time from departure at your home~

What are the demographics like in the area? Is it a good mix or are there a lot of young professionals, old families, young families, etc etc. Is it still a large asian community in this area of Markham?

While we like living in urban areas, we find that we simply like the feel of it and the concept. When it comes to shopping and eating, 5 days of the week we are driving out of downtown and to Markham/scarborough anyways. I am considering it because of this, but if prices are not significantly more affordable than north york I would rather live in NY and drive out to eat and shop.

I have a feeling the demographic is getting younger and getting more asian by the year (If you want the best chinese food this is your place to be). There are several good schools in this area (UHS, St. Justins .... ) but more importantly it feels very safe compared to all the other neighbourhoods I lived in.

Regarding the project itself, i absolutly hate the exterior, looks like a cheap ripoff of tridel's circas right across the street (the circular portion joining the two towers)...
As for the units themselves, a friend of mine took me on a tour of his suite. Besides from a missing leg on the kitchen island, some cabinet problems (A cabinet door got in the way of the fridge door) and a 5mm gap between the laminate floor and cermaic tiles it's not that bad.

Safe?

Compared to what, where have you lived where you felt unsafe?

There are few very places (in york region in particular) that are unsafe - not much to judge this neighborhood by...

I go by this development everyday to work ...

This is not a very livable area - even if you have a car Hi-way 7 is so darn congested most of the time - yes Viva puprle is OK ... but you're no where close enough to the necessitates of life to be able to walk by foot easily.

This area will always suck ... downtown Markham to the east might be a gem in the rough and hense will overshadow this location but this area will be surrounded by commercial developments and not much in terms of retail or anything else interesting.

Safe in comparison to Scarborough (Kennedy and Finch area) and safe as in I can leave my doors unlocked. At the end of the day you're still living in a suburb so yes, you are expected to own a car or two.

Coincidentally I also drive by this area to work everyday and I have no problem getting to work by 9 from warden + hwy 7 to east beaver creek if I leave my house at 8:50. For those of us who live and work around here you will sooner or later find ways around the congestion.

What kind of interesting retail were you thinking of? No, we do not have a prada store around the corner or Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. If you're living in Majestic Court or that area in general, you're in walking distance to a highschool, a pub, dental, convienience store, shoppers, no frills, 3 major banks, FMP which includes the cinema heck the list goes on. What more do you need?

I'm very excited about the DT markham and hope that it will turn out the way they marketed it to be. A gem? Maybe, maybe not.

Safe in comparison to Scarborough (Kennedy and Finch area) and safe as in I can leave my doors unlocked. At the end of the day you're still living in a suburb so yes, you are expected to own a car or two.

Coincidentally I also drive by this area to work everyday and I have no problem getting to work by 9 from warden + hwy 7 to east beaver creek if I leave my house at 8:50. For those of us who live and work around here you will sooner or later find ways around the congestion.

What kind of interesting retail were you thinking of? No, we do not have a prada store around the corner or Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. If you're living in Majestic Court or that area in general, you're in walking distance to a highschool, a pub, dental, convienience store, shoppers, no frills, 3 major banks, FMP which includes the cinema heck the list goes on. What more do you need?

I'm very excited about the DT markham and hope that it will turn out the way they marketed it to be. A gem? Maybe, maybe not.

You work at Warden and Hi-way 7 eh? Who do you work for?

Okay, well comparing it to Kennedy and Finch is a bit of a stretch ... I just mean, there are so many other safe areas (practically anything you can think of) that it's not really something you can claim as a postive that sets this area apart. If you were stating it as a fact then okay.

I'm not sure if I consider No Frills walkable - I guess it is, but it's far enough away that if you have a car (which most will in this area) your going to drive. Anyway, by no means is it a bad area - I just have a feeling this area will lose out with all the focus on the Downtown Markham project ... which again, is walkable too from here, so it isn't that bad.

Back