News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 405     0 

Majestic Court (Markham Ctr, Times Group, 16 + 14s, Kirkor)

I don't think the 90% mediocre rule applies to downtown Toronto anymore. In the King West and King East neighbourhoods, especially, the majority of projects proposed or under construction right now are not only not mediocre, they're actually quite elegant.

It's amazing how far developers have come in the last few years. Even five years ago I was partially envious of the designs that came out of Vancouver but the tables have since turned and, pound for pound, Toronto probably has the most sophisticated condo tower designs of any city in North America, even Chicago and New York.

While I think that most of the developments underway in the 905 are still the pits, there are some architectural bright spots, particularly around MCC. Amacon's Parkside Village, for example, looks very dignified as does the Ironstone in Burlington.

The built form/planning of this development is so wrong; why can't developers of greenfield sites such as this just copy the precedent set in a successful part of the GTA: Wellington/King West/Stewart St/King East?

Instead of large parking spots and huge driveways, why not a narrow laneway between buildings?

recognizing all the critisms on projects in Markham Centre, like some members have said ... if the exact same projects were built in downtown Toronto, the comments would be otherwise very different ...

ie: Battery Park / ZIP / VIBE is great in Liberty Village, but would be crap if built in Markham Centre ... I think I heard similar comments bashing the Heron's Hill project in North York, yet its a similar development concept also by Monarch

Give me a break LV is a lot better then this

were not talking about the quality of the buildings themselves (The ones shown here in Markham are fine) it's how they come together to create a neighborhood.

Just to let you know all I've heard is bashing towards LV's but like I've said before I'd like people to actually go down and visit it themselves because it has a ton of potential.

In any case you're comparing apples to oranges they are in different leagues.

Just to clarify taal ... I have no intentions to bash LV in any way (think its nice myself seeing whats there so far), sorry if that was misleading ... I was saying how the exact same project can be built elsewhere in TO, but where in MC it would totally be bashed ... and in fact many of the previous posts was directed towards building architecture, not the neighbourhood environment context ...

as in one of my previous post, certainly I would not compare the environment context of Liberty Village to Markham Centre, the two are indeed are apples and oranges by the mere fact of their difference in age and history, MC is a brand new development which will take time to establish itself, eventually with cafes and shops

Trust me Solaris, these buildings would get bashed anywhere. Oh and those towers in Liberty Village do indeed suck.

I was saying how the exact same project can be built elsewhere in TO, but where in MC it would totally be bashed

I fail to see your point as LV is being totally bashed over it's inferior architecture so far and surface parking lot

The difference is that Liberty Village is bashed repeatedly, while Markham is bashed once or twice and then not commented on further.

apparently Kirkor IS the architect for this project

November 10 2008 update

exterior walls are completed ~ the beige-coloured blocks on the upper portion of the building seem to contrast quite nicely with the brick on the rest of the building :)

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

an overall plan showing all current developments in Markham Centre, Majestic Court property is on the left portion of this plan, south of Highway 7, west of South Town Centre Boulevard

MC_2008status.jpg

December 13 2008 update

Southeast view from a distance - Liberty's NOA peeking out on the right
IMG_2915.jpg

As per the marketed rendering
IMG_2916.jpg

Certainly provides a good streetwall ~ :)
IMG_2917.jpg

Intersection Corner Feature - aka Lobby + Rec Centre
IMG_2918.jpg

Rooftop Feature
IMG_2919.jpg

West Tower - north elevation
IMG_2920.jpg

anybody have a unit here?. I heard that the quality is pretty poor. You can hear all your neighbors conversations even when they're speaking in a normal tone?.

Back