News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 564     0 

LuminaTO

Flirting with Rafael

Well I told him I read about himthrough that article.

Also, he looks better in person, especially with these dark eye glasses, he's really tall, Oh did I mention I also met his wife?

Louroz

Pulse Front Photos

I had to share a few photos I took tonight. Next time I'll take a tripod for better quality.
For those who haven't been down, run don't walk and check this installtion out. It's great fun and the vibe down there is terrific!

Seeing the World in a New Light

Great start to the inaugural LuminaTO festival!

We are only a few days into it, however there is a certain “buzz†in the city, people have embraced the festival with open hands. From Pulse Front at the Harbourfront Centre, to the floating artworks in downtown office buildings, the numerous world premieres, to the stunning opening of the new Lee-Chin Crystal at the ROM.

Toronto has seen the world in a new light!

The best LuminaTO installations I've seen so far are the "Homographies, Subsculpture 7" by By Rafael Lozano-Hemmer in the Design Exchange/TD Centre and the art in the containers out by L'art Boat at the Parliament Street slip.

From the website:

Homographies is an interactive installation featuring robotic fluorescent light fixtures controlled by computerized surveillance systems. As people walk under the piece, the light tubes rotate to create labyrinthine patterns of light that are "paths" or "corridors" between them. In Homographies the "vanishing point" is not architectural, but rather connective, as it is determined by who is there at any given time and varies accordingly. This gives a reconfigurable light-space that is based on flow, on motion, on lines of sight.

- I wish it was a permanent installation!

Good news! It shows how popular Luminato is. (I only got to go to one paid ticketed event, as the shows I wanted to see sell out by the time I find someone to go with).

Luminato light show on for another week
Staff

June 7, 2007

Luminato's Pulse Front, the world's largest interactive light installation, has extended its run for another week at the Harbourfront Centre because of popular demand, its organizers said yesterday.

The installation by Mexican Canadian Rafael Lozano-Hemmer uses 20 robotic searchlights, 200,000 watts of power and displays up to 20 metal sculptures positioned along Toronto's harbour. When a participating spectator grabs a sculpture's handle - equipped with a biometric sensor - the individual's pulse is converted into throbbing beams of light in the sky.

The light show, visible from up 15 kilometres away, will run through to June 17.

I wonder how many years until that's possible. 'Probably less than we think' as the old saw goes...

L'Art Boat

Has anyone taken this L'art Boat thing from Parliament to Harbourfront (or the other way)? How long does it take? Is there usually a line-up or a wait? Do you think it will be really crowded tomorrow (Saturday). Does it leave on time?

My parents are in town tomorrow and I'm thinking it might be an interesting thing to do, but only if it's a reliable service and not so packed to be uncomfortable...

I've heard there's no actual art to see from the boat (which sort of defeats the purpose). However, I guess it's a good scenic way of getting from one LuminaTO zone to the other.

simply Dan and I arrived about 10 minutes before one was to leave and it was already at capacity, so I'd arrive even earlier. I think I read they had added extra service though.

Ah, I wonder what the Pulse Front light effects would be if Jayne Mansfield walked by
girlc.jpg

Though maybe if they moved Pulse Front into Nathan Phillips Square...
Jane2.jpg

A few more Luminato photos

It was much clearer tonight so the beams were a little brighter and it was packed down there tonight which was great to see

Enjoy

The Harbourfront was really hopping tonight. A great African band was playing, and drew a huge crowd by the end, and really fit the pattern of lights. It being a beautiful, clear day really helped - the lights were amazing.

I finally got a chance to play with two beams. It is a great piece of interactive art, despite the smelly diesel generators powering them!

The TTC, on the other hand, was not up to the job of handiling the crowds, with the Queen's Quay and Bay tunnel trackage down yet again.

I took the boat yesterday. It is about a 10 minute ride. There is no art on board - just some at the docking station at the foot of Parliament, as mentioned here.

WATERFRONToronto has a few banners up at the docking site, showing what the East Bayfront area should look like in about 20 years. They have another one showing the entire waterfront from Bathurst to Ashbridges Bay.

On our way to the Distillery, the boat was full. We arrived about 30 minutes before the boat was to take off and got a sticker to board at noon. On the return, we arrived about 10 minutes before departure, but was told that the boat was full. Either we had to wait for the next one, or we could take a special shuttle bus which ran every 30 minutes. We walked through St Lawrence Market instead, and checked out Woofstock.

They were taking passenger counts on the boat. I am assuming that these #'s will tell them that they should have more frequent service at next year's LuminaTO.

Back