News   May 03, 2024
 630     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 302     0 

Low Rise Residential 1: To the 1960's

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Given that the detached house thread started a while ago had a few legs, I thought I would make a thread for some low-rise residential projects around the city that for one reason or other I thought notable. Additions are, of course, welcome. Mods: As I've put in considerable discussion of the architects, etc., I think this is more appropriate to the Buildings & Architecture section than to the "Photos" section, so I hope this is correct.

Early Low-Rise Residential
Toronto is not blessed with a large number of very early apartment buildings, and when I look at these three examples, I can't say that I'm exactly disappointed. These three, the Rosecourt Apartments (1913), Forest Hill Apartments (1931), and the Balmoral Apartments (1929, Stephen Coon and Sons) strike me as being heavy and downcast. Perhaps unfair to pick on the poor little Rosecourt, so very heavy feeling with its crenellated twin towers - it's just ungainly. The Forest Hill does it's work along a commercial part of Spadina in Forest Hill Village admirably, lending a (shall I say it?) vaguely New-Yorkish feel to the strip. But they all strike me as heavy and somewhat unpleasant. Still, death to those who would ever suggest getting rid of these. (They are all on the Inventory).

32RowanwoodAve.jpg

ForestHillApts.jpg

BalmoralApts.jpg

Art Deco
The Star Mansions are an example of Toronto's stripped down Art Deco vernacular, in which the city's architects (in this case, H.C. Roberts, in 1932) barely dipped their toe into a style perhaps too florid for our northern climate.

StarMansions1.jpg

Forsey, Page and Steel's 1938 Park Lane on Eglinton is notable mostly for the fact that Glenn Gould lived here. Of course, it's sleekness is charming as well - why did Eglinton get so many of these?

ParkLaneApts1.jpg

The Garden Court Apartments, also by Forsey, Page and Steel, were completed between 1939 and 1941, and the complex of many buildings was awarded a Silver Medal in the very first Massey Medals in 1950. I love them just for this: their art deco sleekness sharing awards with many modernist buildings, a single awards ceremony capturing two completely different eras.

GardenCourtAK2.jpg

Henry J. Chowan's 1939 Fleetwood Apartments brings some welcome art deco (art moderne?) curves to an increasingly fusty stretch of St. Clair.

FleetwoodApts1.jpg

J. Gibb Morton's Cloverhill Apartments (1940) embody art deco styling without the curves - restrained but I love those corner windows.
CloverhillApts1.jpg

John Parkin / Forsey, Page & Steel's Forest Hill Manor (also 1940) is another good example of the many fine low-rise buildings to be found in Midtown Toronto (Uptown? Whatever).

ForestHillManor3.jpg

Modernist

Peter Dickinson's Benvenuto Place (1953) has stood the test of time well and would need to be included in any discussion of low-rise residential in the city. The Bureau of Architecture + Urbanism said this remains a model for sophisticated urban housing in Toronto, and just so.

BenvenutoPlace6.jpg

I don't know the date of Ava Manor for sure, and it's largely unremarkable, but I love the unusual detail of the circular unit on top. Given it's location, I fantasize that the unit is occupied by a brittle-boned little Jewish woman who has had an incredibly fascinating life. Although her unit (in which she has lived since 1966) is a bit decrepit and in need of repair, it is filled with artworks carefully chosen by herself and Saul (god rest his soul). I want to know her.

AvaManor1.jpg

Rosedale is a the surprising haven of many modernist low-rise buildings, now all protected under the Inventory of Heritage Properties. I don't think I would say that any are outstanding, but given their location they are well maintained, and look pretty much like they did when built. I quite like many of them, and I find it remarkable that they are tucked in amongst all those mansions. Imagine trying to build something like that now! I find it a remarkable episode in our history that Rosedale was once vulnerable to re-development pressures.

TheClifton1.jpg

I know little about the St. George Towers in the Annex, but what collection of low rise buildings wouldn't have a representative from St. George, which has a number of these restrained modernist pieces, of which this is my favourite.

StGeorgeTowers.jpg

Sixties Fabulousness

A few examples of sixties optimism, these from Uno Prii, and on the Inventory of Heritage Properties. 1963 brought us 11 Walmer Road, and 1965 brought us 425 Avenue Road.

11WalmerRd1.jpg

425AvenueRd1.jpg

Some additional sixties things, and I admire the fun things they did with coloured bricks at the time. The LaSalle Towers on Lawton Blvd is one of many 1960's (1950's?) buildings in that area, which saw one of the first great booms of residential architecture outside the core.

LaSalleTowers.jpg

And I love the name "Melba Apartments", given to this fetching black-bricked composition.

MelbaApts1.jpg

This example, combining lovely names for both the street and building (Palazza, on Shallmar Blvd - how can one go wrong with this double dose of happiness) is gently undulating, a bit of restrained yet happy sixties loopiness.

Palazza1.jpg

The Four Thousand, hidden off Yonge near the 401, has a great porte cochere and that undulating roofline. Nicely maintained as well.
TheFourThousand1.jpg

Finally, we have Casablanca, looking as if it is ready for takeoff (perhaps appropriate, with its name), livening the otherwise deadly dull decline near Davenport.

Casablanca.jpg

(continued ...)

Last edited:
This is a great thread, but I think that any building four storeys or higher qualifies as "midrise". Contrary to what many perceive, we actually have quite a few buildings old midrise buildings of 4-10 storeys, including some great midcentury modern examples as well. Unfortunately, we don't have many arterials lined with these buildings, with retail by the street.

The Crescent Road Apartments from 1926 by Charles Dolphin deserve a mention in this thread:

(Photo from TOBuilt)

An OUTSTANDING thread.... I love it, as I too am more than fascinated by all these smaller midrise apartment buildings around the city.

Excellent!!! :) Your efforts and hard work are appreciated!

Park Lane (the Gould building) is on St Clair, not Eglinton--just down from the Fleetwood, in fact.

And an A.P.B. on the Four Thousand: parts of its exterior are getting stuccoed...

Adma is right about the Park Lane - my bad, I have it correct in TOBuilt.

Hipster - your question is interesting - I have never thought of it. It would be easy to verify, by looking at some of the photos in the February 1951 RAIC Journal. If I remember to do this, I'll do it some time.

junctionist - I don't know what to do with mid-rise vs. high-rise vs. skyscraper, etc. It's a hard one, since the terms don't really bear official definitions. At one point I considered moving things that had 12-19 storeys into a new "mid-rise" category, but it could as easily be these buildings as well. I'll consider this, because the change in TOBuilt would actually be quite trivial, and it would be nice to separate out the 4 - 12 storeys from others.

The Garden Court "mansard" (or rather, hipped roof) has the looks of something original--it certainly doesn't detract, and its being set well back has the feeling of something which was meant to provide lip service to neighbourhood decorum. (If one looks around, such "well back" hipped roofs were not uncommon among Toronto's Moderne residential architecture, single family not excluded...)

Vaughan Road and St Clair (Raglan)

I have often thought this area is ripe for intensification of this low rise scale. The southern tip of Vaughan road has many interesting low rise buildings.

Many of the existing units are on quite small footprints and have interesting design elements.
Much of the existing detached housing stock in the neighbourhood is poorly designed, of low quality construction and poorly maintained. The area is fairly well serviced with transportation (St Clair Street car and St Clair west subway)
raglan.jpg

raglan2.jpg

Vaughan.jpg

Vaughan2.jpg

I can't figure out how to get the pictures to appear in full size if anyone could correct it.

Attachments

• raglan.jpg
    raglan.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • raglan2.jpg
    raglan2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Vaughan.jpg
    Vaughan.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,445
  • Vaughan2.jpg
    Vaughan2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,332
The balconies on the Rosecourt are unfortunate, and make the building feel 'heavy'. Are they original? I'm imagining that they would have been wrought iron or something originally?

Tewder - hard to tell if they are original. You are probably right, wrought iron would help.

Jaycola - Vaughan Road is a fascinating stretch of Toronto. It looks like it was heading towards being a commercial strip, but they cut it off at its ends, so the retail that was there is now extremely marginal. Yet, it is quite urban. I love that whole part of Toronto - Cedarvale and Vaughan Road, it's so unlike any other part of the city.

I'll have to go up this summer and take some photos of some of the buildings up there.

I would be surprised to hear that the balconies on Rosecourt are original. I don't think so.

I don't know for sure, but perhaps it is because quite a few of Rosedale's Modernist apartment buildings are low-rise co-operatives, with a low turnover of residents, that they were able to be built? One of my art school teachers, the gay historian John Grube ( 1930-2008 ), used to live in one ( 31 Rosedale Road ), his aged parents lived in another, and a couple of friends now live in one at 149 South Drive - opposite Craigleigh Gardens.

No idea who designed it, but for me the quintessential post-WW2 Toronto Modernist apartment building is the one on the north side of Carlton, just west of Sherbourne. It has a timelessness that reminds me of u2's comment that buildings from "1958" look entirely contemporary to the work our best local talents are producing today.

Back