News   Aug 07, 2024
 833     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 865     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 528     0 

Long Live - Liberal! Feb Holiday!

For some this is good as it will mean another day off of work.
For some it could be a bit of a draw back. Take this example.....

Joe Ontarion works for a National employer (who has offices across Canada). He gets 3 weeks vacation time, but in addition to this, he gets an additional "lieu day" to take whenever he wants since other provinces (Quebecc, B.C. and Alberta) have one extra provincial holiday than Ontario. That "lieu day" can be taken whenever he wants. Now, that same Joe Ontarion has the same number of days off as QC, BC and AB, so he wont be able to take the "lieu day" when he wants. he MUST take it on the 3rd Monday in February. Not a big deal for some, but less choice for others who would want to take the day off at another time.

Wanna take a day off another time? Well, that's what the THREE WEEK VACATIONS are for! :rolleyes:

And I've never heard of employers giving a lieu day to compensate for holidays in other provinces. Want to take St. Jean Baptiste day off? Move to Quebec? Want St. George's day off? Move to Newfoundland. Though I'd be happy to get time off for both.

That's funny, cuz I have heard of quite a few national companies (and worked for them too) where time of is equalized across the nation. Since some provinces get more holiday days than others, those with less get extra vacation days.

Sure, you can take your vacation days when you want, but when you are used to getting an extra one to take when you want, you dont want to give that up.

That's funny, cuz I have heard of quite a few national companies (and worked for them too) where time of is equalized across the nation. Since some provinces get more holiday days than others, those with less get extra vacation days.

Sure, you can take your vacation days when you want, but when you are used to getting an extra one to take when you want, you dont want to give that up.

Then quit your job. You can ALL THE TIME OFF YOU DESIRE.

Costingtons Manager: Okay, people, we need to cook up a new holiday for the summer. Something with gifts, cards, assorted gougeables.
Costingtons Woman: How about something religious? We had great penetration last spring with Christmas Two.
Costingtons Man: Oh, I know. Spendover, like Passover, less talk, more presents.
[Everyone starts talking at once]
Costingtons Manager: No, no, no! No, it's gotta be warm and fuzzy. Some like, um, "Love Day", but not so lame.

[cut to the Simpsons home]
Marge Simpson: Happy Love Day, everyone!
Lisa Simpson: Come on, Mom, The stores just invented this holiday to make money.
Homer Simpson: Lisa, don't you ruin another Love Day.

Seriously though, why not just make Flag Day a stat holiday? It seems so obvious.

That would be my preference too. It falls on the 15th, so you could go out for a big whoop up on Valentines day and sleep in on the 15th, it's purely secular and had no creepy far right undertones like Family Day, and who doesn't need a break in February?

While we're at it, we should get Remembrance Day off, like they also do in Alberta. Seems awkward trying to do at least one thing to pay tribute to our fallen heroes when I'm pulling my hair out at work.

As for Family Day... why don't we just call it Day Day? It would eliminate any possible bias or cutesey-poo naming that will just sell Hallmark more cards... You can't really sell a "Happy Day Day" card...

As for Family Day... why don't we just call it Day Day? It would eliminate any possible bias or cutesey-poo naming that will just sell Hallmark more cards... You can't really sell a "Happy Day Day" card...

I'd be fine with restoring November 11 as a day off, but there's no concensus, even among veterans, if it would be a good thing. With children in school, there's usually something - an assembly, which is often used by veterans to deliver a message to the young. My elementary school was blessed with having veterans that would come every year and give very moving speeches - so much that they were more appropriate for an older audience though.

"Happy Day Day". You know Hallmark will come out with something with a day like that - and will refer to a 30-year old TV show which I never got.

I just really hate the name Family Day.

Gagliano? Yeah, how Liberal can a holiday get
gag_090207.jpg

remembrance day as a holiday it would just become a massive pre Christmas shopping event really.

We should be borrowing holiday names from the Japanese:

Coming of Age Day
or
Greenery Day
or
Sea Day
or
Respect for the Aged Day
or
Sports Day

Since it's the middle of winter, why don't we make it Hockey Day.

Back