616     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 979     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 492     0 

London (Ontario) Snaps, Part I

D

Darkstar416

simply Dan and myself decided to take advantage of having a car over the Victoria Day long-weekend and spent a day (and night) in Canada's 15th largest city! Don't get too excited, it's only London, Ontario. We still aren't sure why we went to be honest but managed to have an o.k. time.

The city hasn't changed much at all from when I was last there (about five years ago). It's certainly grown in terms of population, but most of that is on the periphery. The downtown looks mostly the same (with a couple of noticeable exceptions) and many of the businesses and bars have changed names/ownership. I think London is the perfect example of that type of Ontario town that the Quebecois like to make fun of for "rolling up the sidewalks at night" despite being a relatively big and somewhat powerful little centre.

Anyway, without further adieu...

Welcome to London!
DSCN0450.jpg

London is home to the tallest office building in Ontario outside of Greater Toronto -- One London Place.
DSCN0381.jpg

The 1992-completed building is 24 storeys and is considered class-A office space.
DSCN0407.jpg

Close to One London Place is the fantastic Dominion Public Building which was built as a depression-era make-work project in 1936.
DSCN0385.jpg

The building went under extensive renovations about 20 years back and still looks pristine today.
DSCN0449.jpg

London is known as an insurance, banking, medical research, auto parts and university-supported town. Here's an example of London's long-standing tradition as one of the insurance capitals of the country -- The London Life Headquarters.
DSCN0387.jpg

The older part of the London Life H.Q. (as viewed from City Hall.)
DSCN0428.jpg

The horrible City Centre Towers which until recently housed Canada Trust's headquarters (before being taken over by TD).
DSCN0386.jpg

London has plenty of downtown surface parking.
DSCN0382.jpg

London doesn't have too much at this scale (or in this good of condition) so I figured it was picture-worthy.
DSCN0388.jpg

Not sure what's in here now, but always great to see new uses for old buildings.
DSCN0389.jpg

The former Hudson's Bay store in London's downtown mistake -- The Galleria Mall -- is now the central branch of the London Library System. Unlike the original Galleria Mall, the Library does address the street. For more info on the Galleria Mall's slide from grace, click here.
DSCN0390.jpg

HMV left for the suburbs when the Galleria went south, but Sunrise stayed around town...although never bothered to update their signage.
DSCN0391.jpg

The bland, but functional John Labatt Centre.
DSCN0393.jpg

What is that you say? Well it's something called faux facadism (kind of like T.O.'s Jazz project). That's right, it's actually a replica of the Talbot Inn which was razed for the JLC project. Not one original brick was savaged, despite a heritage designation. This was done even though there's an abundance of surface parking lots all over downtown London. Shame!
DSCN0395.jpg

The equally bland Covent Garden Market (and the equally annoying real-London copycat names that this town shoves down your throat at every chance).
DSCN0394.jpg

One of the only things open on a Sunday afternoon (which is more than I can say for St. Lawrence Market).
DSCN0397.jpg

Just a cool sign...
DSCN0398.jpg

What was probably a bank is now a bar (and a nice looking one at that). Although, closed on a Sunday afternoon.
DSCN0396.jpg

An alley behind the market.
DSCN0400.jpg

The Royal Bank Building.
DSCN0401.jpg

Brutalism left no London unchanged.
DSCN0402.jpg

A new downtown conversion project. The old Park Lane Hotel is being turned into a trendy condo. It's called Time Condos and check out those starting prices!!! I'm not sure I believe enough in the rejuvination of downtown London, but if I did, it would be a tempting investment.
DSCN0409.jpg

A side view. Something about this picture makes me think of Baghdad.
DSCN0408.jpg

Another view.
DSCN0403.jpg

A small, but active queer community can be found in London's downtown. As far as we could tell, there's only two bars that cater to the scene (both under the same ownership).
DSCN0405.jpg

The best laugh we had all day...
DSCN0406.jpg

Is that a giant new Taco Bell attached to an old modernist building? Actually, no, it's downtown London's new and hideous VIA Rail Station.
DSCN0410.jpg

A freight train passes through.
DSCN0413.jpg

And then another.
DSCN0414.jpg

An interesting block across the street from the Via Station.
DSCN0411.jpg

Despite the sign, Bud Gowan is still in business!
DSCN0412.jpg

Sort of the Lee's Palace of London -- Call The Office. I saw Swervedriver here once upon a time.
DSCN0415.jpg

While most parking downtown is surface, there are also a few street-killing multi-storeys as well.
DSCN0416.jpg

The backside of the horrible London Convention Centre.
DSCN0417.jpg

If I don't get too bored looking at these pictures and writing about London, you'll get part II tomorrow!

Thanks for the good pictures. It's interesting how things repeat themselves from one city to another. That god-awful "Galleria" was London's version of the downtown mall which turned its back on the city. It wasn't successful as you point out. How many cities across Ontario made that same mistake?

By all means let's have some more pics!

Thanks for the good pictures. It's interesting how things repeat themselves from one city to another. That god-awful "Galleria" was London's version of the downtown mall which turned its back on the city. It wasn't successful as you point out. How many cities across Ontario made that same mistake?

Sarnia, Kitchener (2), Brantford, Guelph, Hamilton, Sudbury, Peterborough, Tillsonburg, Chatham. Chatham's mall is one of the few doing relatively well, as it ended up being the only regional mall in that market. Tillsonburg has a small mall on this concept, always has been anchored by Zellers and a grocery store,and with all downtown malls, wiping out some heritage buildings.

Great pics, but I differ on your assessment of Covent Garden Market (except the name, but it has been the name for London's market for years). It replaced a rather dank market under a parking garage, and I don't mind it - bright, airy and busy, and looks like an old market a bit. Same with VIA's new London station. The interior is quite nice, and it replaced a dank CN station from the 1950s.

Thanks for the report.

I agree with you assesment of downtown London. The old residential areas is where it shines. Cheap by Ottawa/Toronto standards.

What industries are big in London. Insurance has been taken over by the banks. Do they still employ lots of people there?

That One London Place is terrible 90's stlye.

thanks for the pictures. i spent one summer in london for a work term. i didn't know anyone in the city and i was working in a soul-sucking environment at the MTO. ah, memories.

Great pics, but I differ on your assessment of Covent Garden Market (except the name, but it has been the name for London's market for years). It replaced a rather dank market under a parking garage, and I don't mind it - bright, airy and busy, and looks like an old market a bit.
Yah, it does sound better than what it replaced. I just don't think its anything spectacular from the outside, although is quite functional and airy as a market from the inside. It does however seem to be built a bit on the cheap and reminds me in places of the Pacific Mall in Markham.

Same with VIA's new London station. The interior is quite nice, and it replaced a dank CN station from the 1950s.
The interior is fine, although it is missing the one thing all train stations have -- a big board announcing all the coming and going trains. Also, I have no objection to London getting a new Via Rail station, I just think the architecture of the building is more fitting to a power centre. Still, at least they got it right and kept the station downtown. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Londond is a bit of a Via hub as you can catch trains to Windsor, Sarnia, Niagara Falls (via Aldershot) and Toronto all from London.

I believe the old CP Rail station is a bit north of the downtown and is now a Keg Restaurant.

There is something almost Edward Durrell Stone-ish about that "Baghdad" building.

London is home to the tallest building in Ontario outside of Greater Toronto

Nice tour...but Landmark Place in Hamilton is the tallest building in Ontario outside of Toronto.

100main_viewnew.jpg

I meant office building...my bad. It's been edited.

darkstar416 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Londond is a bit of a Via hub as you can catch trains to Windsor, Sarnia, Niagara Falls (via Aldershot) and Toronto all from London.

And Brampton, St. Mary's, Stratford, Kitchener, etc.

And the Greyhound station is just a few blocks west.

Re Covent Garden Market: identical situation w/Kitchener Farmer's Market, right down to the former garage underbelly/current humdrum decorated-shed sequence of events...

Windsor did the same thing -- expropriate a dense downtown nighbourhood to build an Arena, when there were empty lots available everywhere. Difference was, Windsor didn't build it, and it's still empty, 15 years later. I sometimes feel like i'm from a war-torn town, but the war was over bad development, and it wasn't a war, it was just a coup.

The John Labatt's Centre of Windsor can be seen here.

Where is the new Via station? Is it close to where the old one was (which was Richmond and York, correct)?

I remember that prior to it's conversion to bar and restaurant space, a friend of mine was a security guard at old station building at Pall Mall and Richmond. We toured around one night. I especially liked the giant stone pillars in the basement. I believe it's a pool hall down there now, right across from the Ceeps (old CPR hotel).

Ah, memory lane...

The new station is half on its original site and half built into the neighbouring building you see in the picture. I was surprised they tore down the CN Tower which in London was a 14 or so storey black office building with dark windows. The VIA station used to be in the bottom of that office building. I would have thought they would renovate the office building and the ground floor but I guess the office market in London is really soft. Covent Garden Market is a great improvement which works well despite how plain its design and features are. The original Talbot Inn, which was rebuilt as part of John Labatt Centre, sat on the site boarded up for over a decade with most of the block sitting as parking. Unfortunately it stood unmaintained too long to save. An earlier plan by Campeau Developments would have built two office towers, one hotel, and one residential building on the block and would have been early enough to save the Talbot Inn as part of its development but unfortunately that plan went the way of Campeau Developments. The office buildings in that plan were impressive dome and spire buildings of similar height (slightly higher than One London Place) with a hexagonal floor plate. Too bad that plan didn't work out.

I had no idea that they tore down the office tower above the train station! Wow. It always gave arriving in London a quasi-urban feel, having the train station below an office building. Kind of like saying, "we are so pressed for space that we need to have multiple use buildings!" Of course, the entire feelings was shattered walking out and seeing the parking lot next door...

Oh well.

Back