News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Letters to the Toronto Sun

Very interesting article, indense. The fact that Marsden can actually be printed in a wide-circulation newspaper is telling.

------------------

Today's Toronto Sun-style letter actually comes from yesterday's Globe and Mail!

Toronto the selfish?

-- Mayor David Miller says "Toronto needs to grow" and ex-Mayor Crombie admits "We enjoy the benefits of nuclear power;" yet neither wants to store the resulting waste in Toronto (Not In My Bedrock -- Globe Toronto, March 31). No, no, says Miller, it's not feasible; dump the nuclear waste somewhere else. Has Canada a more selfish mayor and municipality? I think not.

CHARLES HOOKER
Orangeville, Ont

Hmm, since Orangeville is connected to the Hydro One grid, I wonder if it recieves any power from any of the nukes in Southern Ontario (Bruce)? I am sure the unselfish Mr. Hooker and mayor of the town would be more than willing to host a pro rata share of the radioactive waste.

AoD

Before the Highway 9 bypass was built, it would not be uncommon to see special trucks carrying radioactive waste down Broadway, the town's main street. I have a picture of this somewhere....

A fairly large proportion of Orangeville people are former Brampton white flighters (also Georgetown). And the 410 extension is being built just for them.

Originally didn't post this letter because it wasn't part of the usual "Toronto is the root of all evil" trend, but on reflection, it's still UT-related and a pretty unrealistic letter so therefore worthy of a post.

Surprised he didn't demand a five-course meal as well. I'm going out on a limb here, but neing a Sun reader I wouldn't be surprised if this guy also likes to conplain about taxes.

----------------------

Take me and my car

Re “All aboard for speedy train travel†(Paul Berton, Point of View, April 5): I drive the Windsor-Toronto route more often than I like and refuse to take the existing train for the following reasons: 1) It’s expensive. “First class†rail from Windsor to Ottawa costs as much as flying there. 2) It’s inconvenient. I might want to go somewhere when I reach my destination. For that I probably need a car. Renting one is expensive. I might also want to go on my own schedule, or stop somewhere on the way. Trains can’t do that. This is the rail system I think this part of the country needs: Create a train that takes me and my car somewhere, like a “rail ferry.†Make it cheaper point-to-point than driving on your own, and run it at 300+ km/h so you actually get there faster than you would if you drove. This results in no penalty to the user and enables “mass transit for cars.â€

John Fennema
Windsor

(Addicted to our car, are we?)

Re “All aboard for speedy train travel†(Paul Berton, Point of View, April 5): I drive the Windsor-Toronto route more often than I like and refuse to take the existing train for the following reasons: 1) It’s expensive. “First class†rail from Windsor to Ottawa costs as much as flying there. 2) It’s inconvenient. I might want to go somewhere when I reach my destination. For that I probably need a car. Renting one is expensive. I might also want to go on my own schedule, or stop somewhere on the way. Trains can’t do that. This is the rail system I think this part of the country needs: Create a train that takes me and my car somewhere, like a “rail ferry.†Make it cheaper point-to-point than driving on your own, and run it at 300+ km/h so you actually get there faster than you would if you drove. This results in no penalty to the user and enables “mass transit for cars.â€
Not complete maddness. The Chunnel certainly takes passenger cars, and I've always thought it was a great idea for transport trucks to be loaded onto trains, especially those going from one end of the GTA to the other.

From what I've read in the Globe and Mail Comment section, it's not much better. Here is an excellent example that I must pass around:

Don Adams from Canada writes: Will Global Warming make Toronto too hot to live in? GOOD. Maybe then everyone will move out. We've got LOTS of great land in the North... Torontonians can all move there and develop it. We can turn Toronto into one great big garbage dump. Sounds like a good plan to me.

* Posted 19/04/07 at 11:12 AM EDT | Alert an Editor | Link to Comment

AoD

Kinda worries you when you think about how the Globe and Mail defines its "average" reader (if, in fact, the commenst are being made by "readers" of the Globe).

^^ Ha ha! I remember back in the old days of skyscraperpage there was this forumer from Chatham or somewhere who was so pathologically obsessed with Toronto hatred that he had to go see a shrink. Old timers might remember his name.

True story!

Back