News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 867     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 579     0 

Letters to the Toronto Sun

Like doady said... where does it mention she doesnt support it?

Shes 100% correct in saying its a bandaid approach because that is exactly what it is. Shes demanding more than just one cent.

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Penny plan a Band-Aid solution, McCallion

John Stewart
Feb 27, 2007

Mayor Hazel McCallion supports Toronto Mayor David Miller's campaign for cities to get one out of every six cents of GST that Ottawa collects, but she says that is only a temporary solution.

The real problem, McCallion said yesterday at a summit of municipal leaders in Toronto, is that the municipal property tax bears the burden of social services and health costs that are rightfully the responsibility of senior governments.

Miller launched his $150,000 One Cent Now campaign at a press conference of the Toronto City Summit Conference.

While Mississauga's veteran mayor offered support for any measure that provides more revenue to cash-strapped municipalities, she renewed her long-standing call to "upload" some service back to the provincial and federal levels, where she says they belong.

"It's not the total solution to the problem," said Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion of the one cent campaign. "We should be getting social costs ... off the property tax because that is income redistribution and should never be on the property tax."

I see the Mississauga Brigade is out, fighting the petty semantic war, jumping on anything said here that doesn't give Mississauga and Hazel their due respect.

I wouldn't call "lukewarm" being all that supportive. If you want to get petty, I'll admit, that relative to York and Brampton, Hazel's not very supportive. But isn't it another incremental step that seems to be politically feasible now. Why not work together? Oh yeah, Hazel and co aren't the greatest at that either. :p

Now, please, back to our regular programming of ignorant suburban rants.

lol we are the ignorant ones?

You are the one who overlooked everything in the articles. She SUPPORTS the one cent cause, and at the same time is saying its still not enough.

What is wrong with that? Shes aiming higher. All of the mayors should be aiming for uploading... thats the only way cities will be able to function properly. This one cent boost will help for a little while... but what happens when the social programs so many people rely on require more funding? LEts have another once cent drive?

Why bother when you can eliminate the problem at its source. I have never seen anyone as stubborn as you when it comes to something like this. Bandaid solutions dont work. It has been proven time and time again.

Okay, I think it's time for a serious one-cent discussion in Toronto issues. This was intended to be a light-hearted thread of misguided letterwriters and their ilk, designed to lighten up the day of people who have any sort of love for this city.

Take it elsewhere. Or better yet, trade fun and humourous barbs rather than serious ones. Otherwise, vamoose!

Yeah, who knew that that a light-hearted thread about letters to the Toronto Sun would be forum for people to criticize Hazel McCallion? When I first came into this thread I certainly wasn't expecting it.

I read those letters and I think it is kind of funny how fervently and blindly some people will bash David Miller and Toronto, but then I read the replies here and see how fervently and blindly some people will bash Hazel McCallion and Mississauga also.

But then again it like I had much faith in other people's judgment of municipal politicians to begin with, especially when I see morons like Eve Adams, Rob Ford and Adam Vaughan get elected to their city councils. When I see these letters and the posts here, I can see why these kind of people keep getting elected.

I don't see anything wrong with what McCallion said.

The letters are hilarious though...and kind of scary too.

Miller should take a course on how to run a city, eg. Hazel 101 and Hazel 202. We have a debt free city along with one of the busiest airports in the country.

I have to say it takes balls to come up with something this absurd and attach one's name to it in a public forum for all to read.

"But then again it like I had much faith in other people's judgment of municipal politicians to begin with, especially when I see morons like Eve Adams, Rob Ford and Adam Vaughan get elected to their city councils. When I see these letters and the posts here, I can see why these kind of people keep getting elected."

Ford and Vaughan grouped together? I get it. You playing along. You're spoofing Sun letters by saying rediculous things!

Nice work doady!

I have to say it takes balls to come up with something this absurd and attach one's name to it in a public forum for all to read.

Absurdity that borders on a brilliance of a sort - particularly the airport part.

You have to excuse my snootiness, but your workplace actually subscribes to the Sun?? I spend more time reading off the news screen in my office elevator than reading that paper.

the letters are really funny though, especially the Detroit one.Some people are absolutely clueless eh?

As for forum discussions at newsites, I rarely read them anymore. Just a place for kooks, nutjobs, and extremists from both sides to vent their views in an irrational manner.

You have to excuse my snootiness, but your workplace actually subscribes to the Sun??
Well, no. One of the guys buys it and brings it in. Purchased mostly for the sports coverage. Be snooty if you want, but not all of us are able to work where we would really like to. If you feel like hooking me up with a job in your office; I'm an eager and helpful fellow. As stated, there is no way I'd spend a penny of my money on that paper, but when it's free it provides a few minutes of entertainment during a dull lunchbreak.

I've decided to post this one from today not in a funny, "how stupid!" sort of way like the previous letters, but I still see it as an extension of the same concepts of ignorance and paranoia. It's a common fear and I know the mother simply is looking out for her child's wellbeing, but I can't believe that the world is really as messed up as she seems to think it is.

---------------------

KIDS AREN'T SAFE ANY MORE

Re "Where have all the kids gone?" (Letters, Feb. 25): I will tell you where all the kids have gone. They would love to go out. We, their parents, would love them to go out. As a mother of two boys, I feel guilty every day that my children are not getting the exercise they need. Expending the excess energy would not only benefit them, both physically and mentally, but would also give me time to myself, and time to get that which needs to be, done. This would inadvertently improve their mental health, as well, because there would be less frustration on my part, and therefore a better atmosphere in the home. Yes, they would no doubt love to go out. There is, by the way, relatively no video game playing in our home. They ask to go out all the time. They are not allowed to go out without me or their father. Apparently the perverts of the world have put us all in a prison of our own. There is no way I am letting my children play outside on their own as I used to do every day. Not when young children are being stolen, abused, killed, and dismembered all in the name of a selfish person getting a cheap sexual thrill for one evening. My mother tells me that when she first had my brother (45 years ago), it was commonplace for her to go in a grocery store and do her shopping while my brother sat out front in the stroller. Picture that now. My mother would send me out to play at about 8 a.m. and probably not see me again until 5 p.m. or so when it was dinner time. If I got hungry, somebody's mother would feed me lunch and we would continue playing. She didn't worry. She knew I would be home. We don't know they will be home any more. So, where have all the kids gone? Ask the perverts.

Vicky Campbell
Whitby

(Well said)

My mother tells me that when she first had my brother (45 years ago), it was commonplace for her to go in a grocery store and do her shopping while my brother sat out front in the stroller.
Er, it isn't the perverts I'd be worried about there, it's the mother's wooden-headed narcissism. Leaving a kid outside in his stroller? Reminds me of those whimpering howling dogs tied up outside while their owner takes his time with a Starbucks latte. Besides, toddlers can actually *like* going shopping, i.e. moving down the aisles, seeing the products, etc. Visual stimulation, that sorta thing...

Won't somebody think of the children? There's so many perverts out there!

hlovejoy.gif

Back