News   Mar 28, 2024
 683     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 940     0 

Leslie Street Spit

November 29, 2020
IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2774.jpg

Are there any plans to clean up the brick and rebar? I assume it's there to protect the shore line against erosion? But it certainly doesn't make for an attractive or safe hiking/recreation area.

Are there any plans to clean up the brick and rebar? I assume it's there to protect the shore line against erosion? But it certainly doesn't make for an attractive or safe hiking/recreation area.
They have done some cleaning-up over the years and removed lots of rebar but the whole Spit is composed of 'fill' so it is all really composed of rock and concrete covered by a (usually thin) layer of gravel/earth. The section along the lake itself is, of course, subject to wave erosion and action so 'new' concrete gets exposed but it does get polished and smoothed out

EDIT: You may want to read this recent book (I have it on order from TPL).
Accidental wilderness : the origins and ecology of Toronto’s Tommy Thompson Park
Kehm, Walter H., 1937- author.

Last edited:
Holy has this project ever dragged on.

Its small and straight-forward...........

On another note, I do hope Corten Steel's day as the 'in' material is just about over.

I do think it has a place in the pantheon, but its really over-used in my opinion.

They have done some cleaning-up over the years and removed lots of rebar but the whole Spit is composed of 'fill' so it is all really composed of rock and concrete covered by a (usually thin) layer of gravel/earth. The section along the lake itself is, of course, subject to wave erosion and action so 'new' concrete gets exposed but it does get polished and smoothed out

EDIT: You may want to read this recent book (I have it on order from TPL).
Accidental wilderness : the origins and ecology of Toronto’s Tommy Thompson Park
Kehm, Walter H., 1937- author.

The CBC documentary of the same name is a great watch too

Reactions: DSC
On another note, I do hope Corten Steel's day as the 'in' material is just about over.

I do think it has a place in the pantheon, but its really over-used in my opinion.

It's not so bad, in my humble opinion. If there ever was a material to be banished, surely it's spandrel! Especially when it's a different colour than the surrounding vision glass 😒

It's not so bad, in my humble opinion. If there ever was a material to be banished, surely it's spandrel! Especially when it's a different colour than the surrounding vision glass 😒

LOL; no disagreement Spandrel takes priority.

But I'm pretty sure no one thinks Spandrel is an 'in' material; that just doesn't stop uncreative cheapskate developers and 2nd rate architects from its gross over-use.

It does look good! There were lots of people out this afternoon/evening, taking advantage of the nice weather. Some more prominent 'no dogs/wildlife preserve' signs at the entrances would be helpful.

Back