News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Leslie Street Spit

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Jutting out approximately 5km into Lake Ontario, the 'spit' has been under construction for about 50 years. It can thank the St. Lawrence Seaway for it's existence since an expected increase in shipping traffic from the Seaway was the reason the Toronto Harbour Commision originally started building it. It is composed mostly of fill from Toronto area construction sites. Trucks are charged $33 per load to dump their contents here during the week. It is open to the public on holidays and weekends. A paved road extends about 3km out and then you have to cross a small footbridge to access the remainder. There is an automated lighthouse at the tip. 400 species of plants and lots of wildlife, especially birds make their home here. Great place for bike riding or jogging but if you like you can take a shuttle van in the summer which will take you out to the footbridge. Access is at the foot of Leslie St. (wikipedia)

spit1.jpg

spit2.jpg

spit3.jpg

spit4.jpg

spit5.jpg

spit6.jpg

spit7.jpg

spit8.jpg

spit10.jpg

spit11.jpg

spit12.jpg

spit13.jpg

spit14.jpg

spit15.jpg

spit16.jpg

spit17.jpg

spit18.jpg

spit20.jpg

spit21.jpg

spit23.jpg

spit22.jpg

Last edited:
after visiting the spit many years ago and seeing the rebar beach, i had nightmares of diving into the lake and being impaled.

It's a pity infill projects like this and Col. Samuel Smith Park can't use concrete with the rebar removed. It would take more time no doubt but it would be so much more welcoming.

It's a pity infill projects like this and Col. Samuel Smith Park can't use concrete with the rebar removed. It would take more time no doubt but it would be so much more welcoming.

If you look at the newer fill they use I think they NOW do remove the rebar. (I assume the cost of removing it is worth paying due to the price of new steel.) In the most recent fill area (east of the lighthouse) they seem to be dumping rebar-free 'stuff' on top of older fill (with rebar), so I guess in time it will all look as though it's rebar-free.

I've always liked the rebar tangles, but my tastes are influenced by my engineer inclinations. The work the City did this past summer to beautify large sections is professional, but I miss the littered architectural and landscaping residues, and feel like I'm experiencing something more mainstream-mass consumption, and less secret-world. It's how I feel about Bluffers Park: as a kid I remember it as a wilder place, and more interesting for it.

Beautiful pictures androiduk - your composition and the colours are phenomenal.

The Spit is one of Toronto's best biking destinations. So easy to get to and such a quick escape from the urban environment.

Though the "Baselands" are not 100% within "The Spit" this meeting/display (August 22) may be of interest:

Public Display - Trail Network for the Baselands
Waterfront Toronto, the City of Toronto, and Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA), have developed a Trails Master Plan for the Baselands at the Leslie Street Spit / entrance to Tommy Thompson Park, including the Martin Goodman Trail along Unwin Avenue.

The final designs will be on display at the Tommy Thompson Park Butterfly Festival for members of the public to view between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. For more information about the festival please visit www.butterflyfest.ca.

Why is the spit only open on weekends? Is it still being filled during the week? I want to check it out soon, but would prefer to go in the evening, however, it closes at 6. Is there anywhere else to park besides that dirt parking lot at the entrance? There seems to be parking over by the yachts, but that too has a gate that I assume locks around the same time?

Why is the spit only open on weekends? Is it still being filled during the week? I want to check it out soon, but would prefer to go in the evening, however, it closes at 6. Is there anywhere else to park besides that dirt parking lot at the entrance? There seems to be parking over by the yachts, but that too has a gate that I assume locks around the same time?
You can park on Leslie Street and the gates are never locked (because there are none). The Spit IS used for dumping during the week and that's why it is closed - though I often see people going in. I suspect that during 'dumping hours' you would be stopped by the guys in the control booth (beside the new TRCA building).

Is it legal to park on Leslie (or are you referring to that dirt patch just west of the road)? If there are no gates, why does the Tommy Thompson Park website say that the park closes at 6? How can an open space close and why aren't people permitted to be there after 6?

There is legal parking on both sides of Leslie Street and some on Unwin Avenue too (north side). I assume the park is said to be 'closed" because if something happens to you after-hours, you can't sue. During the week any security is provided by Ports Toronto (who run the 'dump'), at weekends it is the TRCA. Not sure about now but at one time most Toronto parks were "closed" at midnight or 1am. Of course there were/are no gates or fences but ....

1) Is the Quonset hut still there? I saw a comment elsewhere that it had been torn down recently. I wanted to see it but I don't want to spend hours looking for it if it's not there.

2) Is there a story about the stick/concrete block path in the 5th picture?

3) When I biked to the tip of the spit a few years ago I don't recall seeing a single bench to sit on. Is this still the case? Does anyone else find this hilarious and sad? Ten kilometre round trip and nowhere to sit?

1) Is the Quonset hut still there? I saw a comment elsewhere that it had been torn down recently. I wanted to see it but I don't want to spend hours looking for it if it's not there.

2) Is there a story about the stick/concrete block path in the 5th picture?

3) When I biked to the tip of the spit a few years ago I don't recall seeing a single bench to sit on. Is this still the case? Does anyone else find this hilarious and sad? Ten kilometre round trip and nowhere to sit?
1. Hut is gone
2. Maybe a story but last time I was there the rock 'sculptures' had all been bulldozed as they are 'tidying up' the Spit near the lighthouse.
3. The lack of benches is neither hilarious nor sad, though your comment may be. There are many rocks and pieces of grass to sit on - this is NOT an urban park - at least not now.

If it's not a park then why the name Tommy Thompson Park?

It's public, it's busy, ten km is a lot. Not unreasonable to want a bench or two.

If it's not a park then why the name Tommy Thompson Park?

It's public, it's busy, ten km is a lot. Not unreasonable to want a bench or two.
I said it's not an urban park. I would have no problem with a few benches but there are other (natural) alternatives.

Back