News   Jul 15, 2024
 782     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 924     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Or you know...Streetcars just wait without boarding or alighting while the light is being held green for them. Happens all the time at Bathurst/King, Dufferin/King based on my experience. I don't take it past Bathurst unfortunately. I think it's mostly because these streetcars don't want to get bunched, but in doing so, they actually deteriorate traffic operations along the entire stretch which in turn creates a vicious cycle of slowing down Streetcars further downstream.
I've seen them wait out a light so many times now - its infuriating to see, even if I'm not on the vehicle lol.

I thought this was because they don't want to start moving only to have the light change (since streetcars tend to crawl through intersections if starting from rest). On Spadina I've also seen several instances of one streetcar waiting for another (heading in the opposite direction) to clear the intersection before starting to move. No idea the logic behind that one.

Streetcars can be frustrating to watch.

Or you know...Streetcars just wait without boarding or alighting while the light is being held green for them. Happens all the time at Bathurst/King, Dufferin/King based on my experience. I don't take it past Bathurst unfortunately. I think it's mostly because these streetcars don't want to get bunched, but in doing so, they actually deteriorate traffic operations along the entire stretch which in turn creates a vicious cycle of slowing down Streetcars further downstream.

Yeah, streetcars wasting green lights that were specifically extended for them is indeed an increasingly rampant issue. Typically it happens when the vehicle is ahead of schedule so they're killing time. As described in most of the King Pilot presentations, they've added crazy amounts of time to the schedule which forces service to be extremely slow even when traffic is moving well.

Schedule-based conditional priority would mostly resolve it because those streetcars wouldn't be getting priority in the first place. Headway-based would resolve it too, as long as the line is being managed relative to headway rather than schedule.

Exactly. It's the lack of an *overall* dynamically controlled system that makes that happen. It's a *wasted opportunity* to maximize/optimize flow for everyones benefit. This is the problem with fixed timing frames within which priority is an apportioned segment.

What is necessary is a *dynamically dispatched* over-ride to lights as is given to emergency vehicles at some intersections. (I can't remember if this has been instituted in Toronto or not). On a state of the art traffic control system, the interrupted sequence will reset for what's optimal for the next time frame, the start of which can be moved as opposed to waiting drivers 'missing their turn'. Streetcars 'waiting' at greens will ostensibly not happen save at the other side of the lights, but that occurrence is characteristic of a dispatch algorithm that isn't doing what it should, and like modern rail/subway systems, speeds are imposed by AI to segue headways as much as possible to prevent bunching, stretching or standing to attain the next fixed block of movement.

When the King Pilot was first announced, it was claimed to be 'old stock' CLRVs and ALRVs only running the service. The story has changed (although I can't find where this point hinged) and now the Flexities are being touted to do it. Perhaps, just perhaps...there's a realization that data communications are key to making this work as well as it might considering the other limitations? I just don't see how any performance improvement beyond the already established best "benchmarks" can be had without it. And that right there plays right into the hands of Minnan-Wong.

Other than making priority requests conditional on headway/schedule, I'm still not sure how what you're describing is any different that the priority system we currently have.

Perhaps you're talking about predictive priority, where the signals receive a frequently-updated estimate of when streetcars are expected to arrive at the intersection, which allows the signals to gradually adjust in advance of the vehicle's arrival; as opposed to the current system which makes potentially large adjustments at the last second when the vehicle shows up. Predictive priority is pretty much the gold standard in terms of transit performance, and is the most effective way of achieving near-zero-delay performance. The problem is that it doesn't work well with high frequencies. The signals would receive so many different requests for priority that they wouldn't be able to do much for any of them. Again conditional priority would help by reducing the number of priority requests, but I'm not sure if would actually provide any better performance than our current system. The advantage of doing all the adjustments at the last second is that you know whether or not they're needed (and exactly how much action is required). That way you avoid taking an action that inconveniences one streetcar to benefit another higher-priority streetcar, only to have the second streetcar not benefit anyway because the estimate was wrong.

Oh, I forgot, we're talking about Toronto:

upload_2017-7-18_20-12-45.png

Work has begun on a world-leading trial to give trams better priority at intersections with traffic lights, making tram rides more reliable for passengers.

Minister for Roads and Road Safety Luke Donnellan today announced that two signalling systems will be trialled to improve network efficiency, traffic management, and reduce congestion on our roads.

The first technology, a Cooperative Intelligent Transport System (C-ITS), uses devices that are installed in trams and traffic lights which alerts traffic lights to approaching trams.

The second system uses real-time GPS to determine traffic light activity based on live road conditions, with a link back to Yarra Trams and VicRoads’ control rooms. Both systems will integrate with VicRoads’ existing road management system.

The Andrews Labor Government recently awarded a grant of $669,000 to the Australian Road Research Board (ARRB), which will work with Public Transport Victoria, VicRoads and Yarra Trams to undertake the trial.

The trial is funded through the Labor Government’s Smarter Journeys program, which supports initiatives that reduce congestion across Victoria’s road network.

Just last week, Melbourne hosted the 2016 ITS World Congress, which showcased developing technologies that aim to make cities more liveable by improving all modes of transport.

Early research for the trial has commenced, and is expected to get underway on the network in 2017.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Roads and Road Safety Luke Donnellan

“Improving the flow of trams at intersections will make services more reliable and reduce congestion on our roads – helping to get passengers where they need to go, on time.”

“We’re working closely with transport technology and industry partners to find new ways to make our roads and public transport services safer and more efficient for all Victorians.”

Quote attributable to Yarra Trams CEO Nicolas Gindt

“Traffic light priority helps us move more people more efficiently. We are very pleased to collaborate with partners across the transport system to reduce the journey times of our 200 million trips a year and help get the most out of Melbourne’s tram network.”
http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/trial-to-give-trams-better-priority-on-our-roads/

"The second system uses real-time GPS". Already extant in the Flexities.

[...]
Traffic lights could one day be programmed to sense when a tram approaches and turn green, giving the tram right of way, VicRoads director of network policy and standards Andrew Wall said.

"It is possible that one day, trams will only have to stop to pick up and set down passengers," Mr Wall said.

He said traffic lights could also be linked with tram timetables so trams could be given priority based on whether they were running early or late.

"It will also be possible to determine when the tram doors are open and shut and only give priority when the tram is ready to go," he said.

"Many tram stops are now being located on the far side of intersections. This means that trams can be given priority through the intersection as soon as they arrive.

"Trams already get significant priority at traffic signals. The biggest challenge for Melbourne is tram routes that share the road with other vehicles. The delays are not due to traffic signals, but rather the queue of vehicles ahead of them."

For the past seven years, VicRoads has been working with researchers at the University of Melbourne and Monash University to determine how changing traffic conditions, including traffic light frequency, might ease congestion in the city.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...ghts-under-vicroads-plan-20150212-13dnwo.html

Meantime, at least one Toronto cycling journalist claims the fix is in to axe the Bloor bike lanes. I'm just so shocked...Minnan-Wong and his band of mis-balanced manglers ride again. "Benchmarks" anyone?
[...]
The one-year experiment is up for review this fall. And unlike Mississauga, it seems Toronto politicians just aren’t into putting bike lanes on major arterials judging by some of the recent rumblings from City Hall.

The Bloor bike lane may actually be removed because it might slow down motor vehicles a little bit and, gasp, possibly remove a few on-street parking spots, too.

I attended the June 5 open house (one of four meetings proposed for the Bloor pilot) to ask city officials why we’re talking about removing bike lanes on Bloor instead of how to improve safety.

Shawn Dillon, the City’s acting manager of Cycling Infrastructure and Programs says, “We are looking to find the right balance. [We’re] trying to minimize impact on motorists, trying to create a safe and efficient network of facilities for cyclists and ensure our neighbourhoods stay healthy and vibrant.

“It is really going to be up to council to decide what is the right balance. If the final recommendation is that [the bike lane] has not been successful then yes, it will be removed.

“It’s all temporary. It’s primarily just paint and bollards so it’s not too expensive to remove,” Dillon says, adding that there is no magic number of cyclists using the lane that it would take to call the lane a success. [...]
https://nowtoronto.com/news/watch-out-toronto-mississauga-is-passing-you-in-the-bike-lan/

Parallel Porking?

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-18_20-12-45.png
    upload_2017-7-18_20-12-45.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Oh, I forgot, we're talking about Toronto:
Myth: The purpose of tram priority is to stop trams running late
Fact: Tram priority can and should be used to increase the speed of trams, thus providing both reduced travel times and increased frequency with the same number of vehicles and drivers.
One of the more common complaints about trams is that they are slow. Trams are held up by queueing cars, turning cars and cars that unlawfully double-park or block intersections, and are disrupted by traffic lights operating on cycles that favour cars. Until recently, little attempt was made to help trams get through intersections more quickly, mainly because the road lobby opposed – and still opposes, to some extent – any measures that might speed up trams at the expense of cars.

If tram priority can be used to allow a tram to catch up a few minutes along its route if it is running late, why not use it more effectively to make an on-time tram a few minutes faster? This is what effective tram priority means: once priority measures allow trams to travel faster, the timetables themselves can be speeded up without sacrificing reliability. Once trams are timetabled to run faster, more people would be encouraged to use them, reducing traffic that once held them up, leading to even more gains. The improved running times can also be used to improve frequency: for example, saving 10 minutes in every hour of travel time allows an increase in frequency from 12 to 10 minutes without any more rolling stock or drivers. This would improve patronage even further.

Effective tram priority is called on to do its job all the time, not just in emergencies when trams run especially late. A faster timetable means a faster and more frequent service can be provided with the same numbers of vehicles and drivers. It can even run on time, as Zurich’s system does.

Most of the stuff on that page is pretty good, but this author clearly doesn't get conditional priority. Making trams less late and speeding up service are the same thing. Transit is not like other modes, where making one vehicle faster pretty much always increases the average speed for that type of vehicle. In a transit line, letting some vehicles travel faster can actually make the overall line slower, by contributing to uneven passenger distribution.

Let's just entertain this idea they propose, of allowing an on-time tram to travel even faster by still prioritizing it even as it gets ahead of the schedule. Being ahead of schedule will cause this tram to pick up fewer and fewer passengers as it gets closer to the tram in front, since there has been less time for passengers to show up since the last tram. This makes it spend less and less time at each stop and will even start skipping stops altogether, catching up ever more. Eventually it will simply be riding the tail of the tram in front.
Meanwhile the tram behind these two is getting more and more passengers, as the tram in front of it gets further and further away. It then spends more and more time at each stop, making it a challenge to keep to schedule. Eventually the vehicle will reach its capacity and will spend a huge amount of time at each stop, and vehicles behind will start catching up to it, creating a conga line of trams (also known as 'bunching').

In no time, you've got all your service bunched together with the first vehicle in each bunch completely packed while the last vehicle is pretty much empty. And in between those bunches are huge gaps.

In general, the delay and inconvenience caused to the vehicle behind will outweigh the time savings achieved by allowing an early vehicle to receive priority.

Transit schedules are not based on the 'best case' scenario, or even the average scenario. They are based on an abnormally bad scenario, so that the line can still operate operate reliably despite routine minor delays (spikes in passenger loads, wheelchairs/strollers loading, momentary traffic disruptions like emergency vehicles etc). If you speed up the slowest vehicles, you will be able to make a correspondingly-sized improvement in the scheduled time. Providing priority to early vehicles actually makes the slow/late vehicles slower than only prioritizing the slow/late vehicles, and can therefore actually limit the speed increase that is achieved with signal priority.

The only time when providing priority to on-time or early vehicles actually speeds up a transit line is when the variation in travel time between the fastest and slowest services is less than the time savings achieved by signal priority. On King Street, the current schedule is far, far, far longer than streetcars could achieve on a good day even without priority. So that's clearly not the case here.

__
PS

I like this part, which suggests that they may not be as much of a world traveller as they seem to imply:
There has been some hope that we may at last see Melbourne begin to catch up with cities like Zurich, Toronto or San Francisco, with the establishment of the ‘Think Tram’ priority programme in 2004.
Seeing us right next to Zurich when it comes to tram priority is a bit of a laugh. It tells you something about how bad it is in Melbourne.

I like this part, which suggests that they may not be as much of a world traveller as they seem to imply:
Seeing us right next to Zurich when it comes to tram priority is a bit of a laugh. It tells you something about how bad it is in Melbourne.
Last modified: 22 September 2009. That's why I removed it from my post.

Makes my point, A lot has changed since then, and Toronto is now a laggard. Melbourne, like a lot of European and Asian cities, is well ahead in doing exactly what Toronto must do for King and elsewhere, and use *intelligent* signals.

Here's a headline you'll love...until reading the article, and it exactly parallels King St's dilemma: (Part of this is the mandated speed limit along the Bourke Mall that I've detailed prior)
Melbourne's trams among slowest in the world
By Elias Clure
Posted 18 May 2017, 9:58pm

Related Story: Melbourne tram network to use solar energy by end of 2018
Related Story: Three of the world's most interesting bus systems
Map: Melbourne 3000
Melbourne's tram services are among the slowest in the world, new figures have revealed.

Statistics from the network's operator Yarra Trams shows trams are sluggishly moving around Melbourne at an average speed of only 16 kilometres per hour, with the speed dropping to just 11kph in the CBD.

To put that in perspective, people walk at an average speed of 5kph and ride bicycles at 15.5kph.

Yarra Trams says the figures reflect the operational realities and challenges posed by the city's tram network.

Low speeds and long delays
The figures also show some tram services in the CBD have been delayed for up to two hours due to traffic jams and collisions.

Yarra Trams said the delays and low speeds were mainly due to the "unique nature" of the tram network.

About 75 per cent of the tram network operates on shared roads with other vehicles, meaning trams are often vulnerable to traffic accidents on the road.

Up to 17 per cent of journey time on Melbourne's trams is spent waiting at red lights, compared to just 2 to 5 per cent by international standards.

Yarra Trams spokesman Simon Murphy said the challenges facing the network would only get worse in the years ahead.

"Melbourne's tram network is unique, 75 per cent of the network is actually shared with other traffic on Melbourne's roads and that really presents challenges in terms of congestion, particularly as Melbourne grows, and that's going to continue to be a challenge as we go into the future," he said.

Mr Murphy said Yarra Trams was working with VicRoads to examine ways that speeds could be increased, in the hope that priority traffic lights for trams would be rolled out at the end of the year.

Part-time tram lane markings on Smith Street in Collingwood, in Melbourne's inner north-east, have also been trialled. Yarra Trams reported an improvement in the average journey time during morning peak of up to one minute.

"We are working on a trial for traffic light priority. There's some desktop work that's happening at the moment, some research into that and the aim is to have something on the out as soon as we can," Mr Murphy said.

"There are certainly some things that can be done to speed up the network in the short term, but there is some longer-term work that is also going on.

"If you look at the Gold Coast light rail, it's a very different network, but they have a higher separation from the roads and traffic light priority, which is certainly something we are looking at."[...]
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-19/melbourne-trams-among-slowest-in-the-world/8541228

And speaking of Zurich, where trams are run like their trains, featured story at the NYTimes, dated, but it shows how much catching up Toronto has to do. Even US cities have jumped ahead since this:
By ELISABETH ROSENTHALJUNE 26, 2011

ZURICH —
[...]
Cities including Vienna to Munich and Copenhagen have closed vast swaths of streets to car traffic. Barcelona and Paris have had car lanes eroded by popular bike-sharing programs. Drivers in London and Stockholm pay hefty congestion charges just for entering the heart of the city. And over the past two years, dozens of German cities have joined a national network of “environmental zones” where only cars with low carbon dioxide emissions may enter.

Likeminded cities welcome new shopping malls and apartment buildings but severely restrict the allowable number of parking spaces. On-street parking is vanishing. In recent years, even former car capitals like Munich have evolved into “walkers’ paradises,” said Lee Schipper, a senior research engineer at Stanford University who specializes in sustainable transportation.

“In the United States, there has been much more of a tendency to adapt cities to accommodate driving,” said Peder Jensen, head of the Energy and Transport Group at the European Environment Agency. “Here there has been more movement to make cities more livable for people, to get cities relatively free of cars.”

To that end, the municipal Traffic Planning Department here in Zurich has been working overtime in recent years to torment drivers. Closely spaced red lights have been added on roads into town, causing delays and angst for commuters. Pedestrian underpasses that once allowed traffic to flow freely across major intersections have been removed. Operators in the city’s ever expanding tram system can turn traffic lights in their favor as they approach, forcing cars to halt.

Michael Kodransky, global research manager at the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy in New York, which works with cities to reduce transport emissions, said that Europe was previously “on the same trajectory as the United States, with more people wanting to own more cars.” But in the past decade, there had been “a conscious shift in thinking, and firm policy,” he said. And it is having an effect.

After two decades of car ownership, Hans Von Matt, 52, who works in the insurance industry, sold his vehicle and now gets around Zurich by tram or bicycle, using a car-sharing service for trips out of the city. Carless households have increased from 40 to 45 percent in the last decade, and car owners use their vehicles less, city statistics show.

“There were big fights over whether to close this road or not — but now it is closed, and people got used to it,” he said, alighting from his bicycle on Limmatquai, a riverside pedestrian zone lined with cafes that used to be two lanes of gridlock. Each major road closing has to be approved in a referendum.

Today 91 percent of the delegates to the Swiss Parliament take the tram to work. [...]
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/science/earth/27traffic.html?hp

Last edited:
Back in January, I posted about how Katowice, Poland pedestrianized it's main downtown thoroughfare for people and streetcars as an example of how King and Queen Street can look like, as their street width is only 2 metres difference.

Today, I am actually in Katowice and decided to snap some photos to provide better context.

Katowice_1.jpg

Katowice_2.jpg

Many people cycle inbetween the planters and the streetcar tracks, though it is not a formal lane:

Katowice_Bike.jpg

Service Vehicles use the tracks painlessly:

Katowice_Ambulanc.jpg

Actually, I've seen delivery vehicles come into the tracks and drive inbetween the planters onto the pedestrian zone in order to make deliveries as well, though I did not grab a photo. This is possible because there is no curb between the streetcar tracks and the rest of the street, and when parked like so, they neither block the tracks or impede the pedestrians.

This last example is my favorite. You can see how they handle underground utilities with the stone, how a 'formal' stop is configured (notice the red and green stop lights on the ground in front of the streetcar), and a sneak-peak into the public square further up that is actually well-designed and well-used (which is deserving of a post on it's own, and puts Yonge-Dundas Square equivalent to shame):

Katowice_15.jpg

And now, a collection of other photos I took to get a better grasp of the street (apologies for slight HDR on some, didn't realize it was on):

Katowice_3.jpg Katowice_4.jpg Katowice_5.jpg Katowice_6.jpg Katowice_7.jpg Katowice_9.jpg Katowice_10.jpg Katowice_11.jpg Katowice_12.jpg Katowice_13.jpg Katowice_1.jpg Katowice_2.jpg Katowice_Bike.jpg Katowice_Ambulanc.jpg

And here is a video I took of streetlife in Katowice's city centre: https://streamable.com/wxcjp

Katowice is an industrial city that is actually younger than Toronto by 30-some years. All this used to be motorized space until this recent revitalization project. If they can end up with this result, I think we should expect Toronto, many times wealthier a city, to come up with some similar arrangement.

Attachments

• Katowice_Bike.jpg
    Katowice_Bike.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 474
  • Katowice_Ambulanc.jpg
    Katowice_Ambulanc.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 483
  • Katowice_1.jpg
    Katowice_1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 692
  • Katowice_2.jpg
    Katowice_2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 650
  • Katowice_5.jpg
    Katowice_5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 433
  • Katowice_4.jpg
    Katowice_4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 478
  • Katowice_9.jpg
    Katowice_9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 410
  • Katowice_10.jpg
    Katowice_10.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 399
  • Katowice_7.jpg
    Katowice_7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 411
  • Katowice_6.jpg
    Katowice_6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 457
  • Katowice_11.jpg
    Katowice_11.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 387
  • Katowice_12.jpg
    Katowice_12.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 440
  • Katowice_3.jpg
    Katowice_3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 520
  • Katowice_13.jpg
    Katowice_13.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 385
  • Katowice_15.jpg
    Katowice_15.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Back in January, I posted about how Katowice, Poland pedestrianized it's main downtown thoroughfare for people and streetcars as an example of how King and Queen Street can look like, as their street width is only 2 metres difference.

Today, I am actually in Katowice and decided to snap some photos to provide better context.

View attachment 116416

View attachment 116417

Many people cycle inbetween the planters and the streetcar tracks, though it is not a formal lane:

View attachment 116414

Service Vehicles use the tracks painlessly:

View attachment 116415

Actually, I've seen delivery vehicles come into the tracks and drive inbetween the planters onto the pedestrian zone in order to make deliveries as well, though I did not grab a photo. This is possible because there is no curb between the streetcar tracks and the rest of the street, and when parked like so, they neither block the tracks or impede the pedestrians.

This last example is my favorite. You can see how they handle underground utilities with the stone, how a 'formal' stop is configured (notice the red and green stop lights on the ground in front of the streetcar), and a sneak-peak into the public square further up that is actually well-designed and well-used (which is deserving of a post on it's own, and puts Yonge-Dundas Square equivalent to shame):

View attachment 116430

And now, a collection of other photos I took to get a better grasp of the street (apologies for slight HDR on some, didn't realize it was on):

View attachment 116428 View attachment 116420 View attachment 116419 View attachment 116425 View attachment 116424 View attachment 116421 View attachment 116423 View attachment 116426 View attachment 116427 View attachment 116429 View attachment 116416 View attachment 116417 View attachment 116414 View attachment 116415

And here is a video I took of streetlife in Katowice's city centre: https://streamable.com/wxcjp

Katowice is an industrial city that is actually younger than Toronto by 30-some years. All this used to be motorized space until this recent revitalization project. If they can end up with this result, I think we should expect Toronto, many times wealthier a city, to come up with some similar arrangement.
It's just like all other european cities age has nothing to do with it they build their roads smaller because cars are smaller there. Don't forget King street is a four lane road not a two lane street in a european city. Just because they can close off an entire street to public Transit doesn't mean we can do it. Traffic will not just disappear if we build more public transit, no mater how much we think it will.

Last edited:
It's just like all other european cities age has nothing to do with it they build their roads smaller because cars are smaller there. Don't forget King street is a four lane road not a two lane street in a european city. Just because they can close off an entire street to public Transit doesn't mean we can do it. Treaty will not just disappear if we build more public transit, no mater how much we think it will.
Actually traffic (I assume that's what you meant) does go away when you take away space for it. Just as when you build more roads, traffic suddenly increases. This has been studied extensively and is just as true here as it is in Europe. The fact that King Street is four lanes is irrelevant. That street in Katowice could fit North American cars easily and there are many North American streets that are that narrow and narrower.

My one question is how is the city planning to enforce the rules of the King St pilot project to ensure that cars are not going through intersections.

It's just like all other european cities age has nothing to do with it they build their roads smaller because cars are smaller there. Don't forget King street is a four lane road not a two lane street in a european city. Just because they can close off an entire street to public Transit doesn't mean we can do it. Traffic will not just disappear if we build more public transit, no mater how much we think it will.
The examples I showed used to be four lane roads too.

And I would say that Toronto's downtown road network is a lot better connected to grant alternatives to King/Queen than Katowice.

My one question is how is the city planning to enforce the rules of the King St pilot project to ensure that cars are not going through intersections.
This is an important question especially with the consideration that King and Queen has driveways entering onto it.

I think it just needs to be clear that for these stretches of transit mall, the cars are for local and delivery vehicles only. Local and delivery vehicles won't impede streetcars or pedestrians if they are allowed to park in-between planters as in the Katowice example last page. If people cannot use these streets for through-traffic, then they will simply avoid using them altogether. This can be done by forcing turns at every intersection via barriers.

It's still a huge question. The Police Board head has stated there isn't the available manpower to do it. But that raises the question of why it has to be trained police, and not some other *legally enabled* traffic officer, even TTC, who can issue tickets and enforce traffic law. It has to be done, because once the 'line is crossed' (figuratively and literally) drivers will just start ignoring it and the whole exercise will move backwards.

I gaze in envy of the Katowice example, and Poland, btw, looks to have come a long way since joining the EU. Katowice may not be a rich area, but that street looks inviting and very civilized, but what many European cities have (and some US and Cdn ones) is a *civic will* to give back city centres to people and transit. It's not a case of whether that street was two or four lanes, it's a case of popular will. And Toronto just isn't ready.

Already cabbies have been given exceptions...

Local and delivery vehicles won't impede streetcars or pedestrians if they are allowed to park in-between planters as in the Katowice example last page.
Permits will have to be necessary to control that, and the most apt example to compare to, even though it has faults, is Melbourne's Bourke Mall. It also necessitates that cyclists dismount and walk through the central mall area. As it is, uncontrolled pedestrian movement across the tracks on Bourke Street means the imposition of the 5 mph speed limit for trams, and the constant flashing of their lights and clanging of bells.

If Toronto doesn't learn what to do right and what to not do from others, and the City mentions the Melbourne comparison many times in its studies, then this is doomed to fail. See my post prior:
Melbourne's trams among slowest in the world
By Elias Clure
Posted 18 May 2017, 9:58pm

Related Story: Melbourne tram network to use solar energy by end of 2018
Related Story: Three of the world's most interesting bus systems
Map: Melbourne 3000
Melbourne's tram services are among the slowest in the world, new figures have revealed.

Statistics from the network's operator Yarra Trams shows trams are sluggishly moving around Melbourne at an average speed of only 16 kilometres per hour, with the speed dropping to just 11kph in the CBD.

To put that in perspective, people walk at an average speed of 5kph and ride bicycles at 15.5kph.

Yarra Trams says the figures reflect the operational realities and challenges posed by the city's tram network.

Low speeds and long delays
The figures also show some tram services in the CBD have been delayed for up to two hours due to traffic jams and collisions.

Yarra Trams said the delays and low speeds were mainly due to the "unique nature" of the tram network.

About 75 per cent of the tram network operates on shared roads with other vehicles, meaning trams are often vulnerable to traffic accidents on the road.

Up to 17 per cent of journey time on Melbourne's trams is spent waiting at red lights, compared to just 2 to 5 per cent by international standards.

Yarra Trams spokesman Simon Murphy said the challenges facing the network would only get worse in the years ahead.

"Melbourne's tram network is unique, 75 per cent of the network is actually shared with other traffic on Melbourne's roads and that really presents challenges in terms of congestion, particularly as Melbourne grows, and that's going to continue to be a challenge as we go into the future," he said.

Mr Murphy said Yarra Trams was working with VicRoads to examine ways that speeds could be increased, in the hope that priority traffic lights for trams would be rolled out at the end of the year.

Part-time tram lane markings on Smith Street in Collingwood, in Melbourne's inner north-east, have also been trialled. Yarra Trams reported an improvement in the average journey time during morning peak of up to one minute.

"We are working on a trial for traffic light priority. There's some desktop work that's happening at the moment, some research into that and the aim is to have something on the out as soon as we can," Mr Murphy said.

"There are certainly some things that can be done to speed up the network in the short term, but there is some longer-term work that is also going on.

"If you look at the Gold Coast light rail, it's a very different network, but they have a higher separation from the roads and traffic light priority, which is certainly something we are looking at."[...]
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-19/melbourne-trams-among-slowest-in-the-world/8541228

Last edited:
And speaking of Zurich, where trams are run like their trains, featured story at the NYTimes, dated, but it shows how much catching up Toronto has to do. Even US cities have jumped ahead since this:
Zurich's buses are also run like their trains. I remember being on one of the main bus routes there and we didn't hit a single red light and were constantly passing cars. It was impressive.

How was the city enforcing the current streetcar/taxi-reserved lanes during rush hour? I think they probably plan to do a blitz the first day, or two days if we're lucky, then police will completely stop all traffic enforcement on the street and hope for the best.

Back