News   May 13, 2024
 420     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 833     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 690     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Your rendering inspired me to also come up with something in sketchup, which hopefully I'll post here soon. I agree with other posts that having bike lanes in the centre is probably not a good idea, but it would be nice if there was a good effort at making proper cycling infrastructure. If you're going to shift the streetcar lanes, maybe have them together on one side, and the bike trail on the other. Though my preference is just having the bike lanes on the outside.

I attached the Toronto Lane Width Guidelines. Note that streetcar lanes must be at least 3.1 m. As well, If buses regularly run the route, or part of it, they need to have 3.3 m, though this can be lower if there's a 0.7 m buffer between them and bike lanes.
There's a very real advantage, and especially in the case of King St, with limited width available, to twin the bike lanes bi-directionally to offer a much greater sense to riders of 'shared width', to overpass when need be, and to maximize the amount of space available. One of the problems Gweed was attempting to address, and this is a serious problem in Toronto, is cyclists not stopping when streetcars do and wait for passengers to board or exit before passing. Perhaps there's sufficient space to allow an island at stops where the streetcar doors can offer safe passage onto one as a buffer to the adjacent bike lane?

I attached the Toronto Lane Width Guidelines. Note that streetcar lanes must be at least 3.1 m. As well, If buses regularly run the route, or part of it, they need to have 3.3 m, though this can be lower if there's a 0.7 m buffer between them and bike lanes.
These are *guidelines* and for sharing on a road-way, which the transit mall wouldn't be. It's a very good point though as to what would be apt clearance width for streetcar lanes in a King Transit Mall. Whether or not that RoW needs to be paved for replacement buses when the streetcars can't run is another good question. Many European models have green space between the tracks and adjacent. That would mean replacement buses would have to run on parallel roads, but perhaps, all things considered, that would be acceptable?

could pedestrians have a legal right of way over bikes?
They already do. Cyclists are required to stop for buses and streetcars, and observe every detail of the HTA except for parking and speeding.

upload_2017-2-2_12-54-4.png

https://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toronto/transportation_services/cycling/files/pdf/hta.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-2_12-54-4.png
    upload_2017-2-2_12-54-4.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
There's a very real advantage, and especially in the case of King St, with limited width available, to twin the bike lanes bi-directionally to offer a much greater sense to riders of 'shared width', to overpass when need be, and to maximize the amount of space available. One of the problems Gweed was attempting to address, and this is a serious problem in Toronto, is cyclists not stopping when streetcars do and wait for passengers to board or exit before passing. Perhaps there's sufficient space to allow an island at stops where the streetcar doors can offer safe passage onto one as a buffer to the adjacent bike lane?

I'm a huge fan of the side-by-side bi-directionals and think they should be considered here (depending on the arrangement of the rest of the street, obviously). The key, drawing on some of the difficulties we've seen in Toronto, will be utilizing a design that makes it physically very clear to both pedestrians and cyclists where the boundaries of the cycle-specific space are. There are lots of ways to do this, none of which I think have been effectively utilized here.

I see King being a transit mall (as opposed to a pedestrian mall), especially if we're also looking west of Bathurst, which doesn't see the amount of pedestrian use as the central section. I made a concept in SketchUp. It basically replaces the existing outer car lanes with bike lanes and brick buffers, while getting rid of the curb so the street is level (obviously there would be some slant for drainage). It also widens the sidewalk a bit. This is for the 20 m portion. For the 23 m section of King, I'd just add the width to the sidewalk.

The 1 m brick buffer may seem wide, but it's to keep cyclists away from the streetcars, as well as other vehicles away from the bike lane, by acting as a rumble strip. There is also a narrower brick strip between bikes and pedestrians, since there is no curb.

I would allow delivery vehicles only during certain times, and have designated spots (outlined by white boxes on the ground) where they can park for loading/offloading. The spots are well away from the tracks, so not to interfere with streetcars. and room is left for cyclists and pedestrians to go around.

At intersections, I would have fairly typical streetcar islands, and a raised sidewalk (it would be a more gradual climb than depicted in the render). It will keep people off the narrowed bike lane (and vice versa). The narrowed bike lane would have a calming effect on cyclists, and force them into single file, where they will be passing pedestrian crossings and approaching the intersection. There are bike boxes in the intersection for left-turning bikes.

King Concept - Street.png King Concept - Intersection.png

Attachments

• King Concept - Street.png
    King Concept - Street.png
    824.9 KB · Views: 378
  • King Concept - Intersection.png
    King Concept - Intersection.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 340
I really like this. I'd be ecstatic to see it built. Two concerns:

- how do delivery trucks exit the delivery area? I suppose they'll have to back out.That could be a safety concern, if they have to mix with pedestrians.

- Generally mixing truck with pedestrians doesn't seem very safe. The hours of this off peak delivery hour would need to be restricted to early morning. Pearhaps 2 AM to 7 AM

Last edited:
These are *guidelines* and for sharing on a road-way, which the transit mall wouldn't be. It's a very good point though as to what would be apt clearance width for streetcar lanes in a King Transit Mall. Whether or not that RoW needs to be paved for replacement buses when the streetcars can't run is another good question. Many European models have green space between the tracks and adjacent. That would mean replacement buses would have to run on parallel roads, but perhaps, all things considered, that would be acceptable?

I love when streetcars/trams have grassed ROWs, but I don't think that would make sense for King. Buses would have to use it sometimes, and delivery and service vehicles will have to be accommodated. As well, King gets closed down for street events sometimes, which may be more often if it isn't a car route anymore. Spadina, St Clair, and especially Queen's Quay would have been great for grass.

I'm a huge fan of the side-by-side bi-directionals and think they should be considered here (depending on the arrangement of the rest of the street, obviously). The key, drawing on some of the difficulties we've seen in Toronto, will be utilizing a design that makes it physically very clear to both pedestrians and cyclists where the boundaries of the cycle-specific space are. There are lots of ways to do this, none of which I think have been effectively utilized here.

I'm also a fan of bi-directionals, since they can use less width overall. But moving tracks is pretty much a non-starter. It would change the track geometry at every intersection, and probably not allow certain streetcar turns. It could also probably mean moving underground utilities and rebuilding the stormwater pipes and drainages.

I really like this. Two concerns

- how do delivery trucks exit the delivery area? I suppose they'll have to back out.That could be a safety concern, if they have to mix with pedestrians. The trucks will be moving slow throug, s

- Generally mixing truck with pedestrians doesn't seem very safe. The hours of this off peak delivery hour would need to be restricted to early morning. Pearhaps 2 AM to 7 AM

Thanks.

To be clear, trucks and all other vehicles (except bikes) would use the streetcar lanes to access the area. Speed limits for them would be maybe 20-30 km/h.

The key, drawing on some of the difficulties we've seen in Toronto, will be utilizing a design that makes it physically very clear to both pedestrians and cyclists where the boundaries of the cycle-specific space are.
A fence of some sort would appear to be unavoidable, albeit that fence can be green (bushes) (in Paris, for instance, albeit Paris has many wide avenues). We also have to protect cyclists from pedestrians, which is a very real issue on the Bloor lanes. Unfortunately, fencing complicates multi-use for delivery and emergency vehicles. It's a conundrum, but something that *will not* work, is mingling of cyclists and pedestrians. Pedestrians come first in Ontario, even when in the road illegally, the onus on drivers (and cyclists) is to 'give way'. That won't happen with a lot of Toronto cyclists. I don't yet see a working plan to accommodate cyclists on Long as either a pedestrian or transit mall. Walk the bike? Absolutely, they become pedestrians, but not to ride unless segregated.

Brain: Excellent renderings, but your drawing make ever more clear the very real clash between pedestrians and cyclists. Unless fenced with signalled crossings, pedestrians will be spilling across both the tracks and cyclepaths. This is one of the real downsides to Melbourne's model: Trams have to crawl through it. The Europeans put the emphasis on trams being expedited, not curtailed in a transit mall, and they do that in many cases by segregating the modes of movement.

Last edited:
Thanks.

To be clear, trucks and all other vehicles (except bikes) would use the streetcar lanes to access the area. Speed limits for them would be maybe 20-30 km/h.

Oh. Great idea!

My concern with that is that there might be too many trucks on any individual blocks at certain times of day, interfering with the operations of the streetcars. I'm envisioning the delivery area being full with two trucks already, and a third truck thinking it'll be okay to block the streetcar or bike lane to make their delivery, or something ridiculous like that. Enforcement officers patrolling the length of the transit mall every hour or so might be necessary if this ever becomes a problem (and I'm not sure if there is enough truck traffic on King to make it a problem; I'm nitpicking).

Any truck congestion would be limited to early morning hours, minimizing the impact on transit users.

Overall really great idea though. I can't imagine any ways that a King transit mall could be improved beyond your proposal. Someone get this to Keesmat!

I was Googling on Melbourne, but due to a shared transit mall name with Sydney (Bourke Street) this shows, and it isn't directly applicable to King, in fact it just plain wouldn't work, but the dialog on pedestrians and cyclists sharing space is pertinent:
[...]
The features of the proposed design for the Waterloo Link include:
  • New “slimline” bus stops to provide a minimum 2m wide path behind bus shelters;
  • Consolidation of street furniture and plantings to ensure a path width of 2.5m for bikes and pedestrians to share;
  • New ‘tactile’ paving installed at bus stops to remind bike riders to slow down;
  • New paving on the path approach to driveways to prioritise pedestrian movements;
  • New bicycle lanterns on traffic signals;
  • Street lighting upgrade;
  • Shared cycleway signage in keeping with the rest of the network.

upload_2017-2-2_13-23-14.png

Why not a Shared Path?
It’s of course terrific news that the last section of the Bourke St to Bourke Rd cycling route will soon be completed. Ensuring that cycleways are integral and inter-connected is an essential strategy in getting Sydney to ride. And could you have even conceived of there being a sanctioned cycling route through this corridor even just a few years ago? Props to the City of Sydney.

However, while the proposal presents many positives, delivering the Waterloo Link as a shared path will diminish the safety, ride comfort and route legibility for riders and unnecessarily increases the potential for negative interactions between riders, shoppers, pedestrians and the huddles of office workers waiting for their morning bus. The primary north-south arterial cycleway through the local government area needs to be a separated cycleway for its entire length. (By comparison, motorways are never constrained to pass through suburban streets.)

There’s also the risk that we are about to throttle the patronage of this cycling route much as the confounding Victoria Road shared path does. (Is it even clear to would-be riders that they are permitted to ride on the Victoria Road shared path? how about the safety of those side-street crossings?…)

It’s not as though there isn’t a place for shared paths. The Glebe foreshore path for example, is a very enjoyable experience for both riders and walkers who co-exist happily. However, most riders on the path are recreational and low-speed, short-trip riders. The Waterloo Link will be used by many commuter riders, a minority of whom will ride at speeds and in a manner not suitable for shared paths. (BIKESydney always encourages and champions “riding graciously” and “to the conditions”). Further, the number of commuter riders through the Waterloo Link will rise appreciably as Coward Street and Bourke Street in Mascot are linked to the Cooks River path.

OK, but perhaps it’s just a one-off, “get out of jail” application of Shared Paths
Mmmm, no. One needs to consider the quality and function sought from the Bourke St / Bourke Rd cycling corridor. Squeezing an arterial cycling route through high pedestrian zones will bring problems – one way or the other.

Further, there is every indication that preferring shared paths over separated cycleways along major cycling corridors will remain the prevailing design approach. The recent rollout of the Chalmers St and Eddy Avenue shared paths (including not one but two “cyclists dismount” stretches) is a case in point.

As indicated in the State Government’s recently released Sydney City Central Access Strategy, Chalmers St will very soon be the primary southern cycling arterial into the CBD once the George St (Redfern) – due for completion in mid-2014 – and Castlereagh St (south) cycleways are complete.

So, just how significant does the potential for conflict between pedestrians and commuting cyclists have to be to justify path separation to uphold safety for all users?

Passing large commuter cycling flows through heavily congested pedestrian zones will not serve a sustainable long-term solution. Not for Chalmers St. Not for the Waterloo Link.

Just what scale or type of project will it take to win back road space for cycleways?

Re-prioritising Our Travel Spaces
Of course, the elephant in the room here is the disproportionate allocation of space to motor vehicles at the expense of other modes such as cycling and walking. In fact, over time, we have become so distracted as to now accept that provisioning for cyclists and pedestrians (and joggers, and dog-walkers and so on …indeed, merely people being active in different ways) should be a battle for the space that remains after the needs of motor vehicles have been met.

It appears that the expectation is that pedestrians and riders should be forced to share their space, but not cars.

When did we allow the needs and safety of people to be subservient to the needs of motor vehicles?

Isn’t it time we changed this?

The Community needs to be able to Engage Transparently with the RMS
When the City of Sydney considers new transport proposals, there are many decisions that are pre-determined by the State roads authority, the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS). While it is the City of Sydney that appears as the visible proponent, it is often the decisions of the RMS that dictate the cycling outcomes. However, these decisions, let alone the criteria on which they are based, are very rarely articulated to the public. Given their influence on project outcomes, it should be mandatory that every project articulate and justify them.

The concept design for the Waterloo Link should indicate why allocating road space to a separated cycleway wasn’t considered. Without this information it is difficult for the public to make informed decisions about our transport choices. This is particularly relevant in light of the benefits and opportunities that cycling brings (eg, improved transport throughput, decongestion savings, health, commerce and liveability benefits and increased land values).
[...continues at length...]
http://bikesydney.org/new10/bourke-...-while-pedestrians-and-riders-get-the-scraps/

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-2_13-23-14.png
    upload_2017-2-2_13-23-14.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
remember that there are a lot of garage entrances along King too that require access. More likely what you will see is a single vehicle lane on one side of the king car and a bike lane on the other, or something

remember that there are a lot of garage entrances along King too that require access. More likely what you will see is a single vehicle lane on one side of the king car and a bike lane on the other, or something
Yeah, no matter what they come up with, it's going to be a compromise to the ideal, and any kind of compromise can't put pedestrians in danger. I think the thought of any kind of bike path has to be sacrificed. There just isn't the room for it there. It might yet be possible for a shared bike/vehicle lane to access business, as long as the vehicles don't have the opportunity to use it as a through street. As long as pedestrians are safe (within reason, that will still be a conversation to have) and vehicles get adequate access, the emphasis must be on expedited streetcar efficiency and speed.

We also have to protect cyclists from pedestrians, which is a very real issue on the Bloor lanes.

No...our target is zero accidents. We have to protect pedestrians. Then cyclists.

If the bike lanes cannot be built to protect pedestrians then bikes should be banned from the King St project.

e.g. bikes not going through pedestrians getting on transit, running lights and endangering pedestrians, driving to fast and going onto the sidewalk to pass another cyclist, etc

No...our target is zero accidents. We have to protect pedestrians. Then cyclists.
Which is exactly what I wrote.

I then added, in answer to another poster:
"We also have to protect cyclists from pedestrians, which is a very real issue on the Bloor lanes.". Pedestrians, even though they have de-facto right of way, even when in the wrong, have a habit of walking into bike lanes, which if you've ever cycled, would know. And one of the worst examples is where bike lanes are put behind parked cars, as on Bloor. It substitutes one hazard for another. The Bloor lanes are an example of what not to copy.

In the event, I've made the point that bike lanes on King are going to have to be sacrificed.

I see King being a transit mall (as opposed to a pedestrian mall), especially if we're also looking west of Bathurst, which doesn't see the amount of pedestrian use as the central section. I made a concept in SketchUp. It basically replaces the existing outer car lanes with bike lanes and brick buffers, while getting rid of the curb so the street is level (obviously there would be some slant for drainage). It also widens the sidewalk a bit. This is for the 20 m portion. For the 23 m section of King, I'd just add the width to the sidewalk.

The 1 m brick buffer may seem wide, but it's to keep cyclists away from the streetcars, as well as other vehicles away from the bike lane, by acting as a rumble strip. There is also a narrower brick strip between bikes and pedestrians, since there is no curb.

I would allow delivery vehicles only during certain times, and have designated spots (outlined by white boxes on the ground) where they can park for loading/offloading. The spots are well away from the tracks, so not to interfere with streetcars. and room is left for cyclists and pedestrians to go around.

At intersections, I would have fairly typical streetcar islands, and a raised sidewalk (it would be a more gradual climb than depicted in the render). It will keep people off the narrowed bike lane (and vice versa). The narrowed bike lane would have a calming effect on cyclists, and force them into single file, where they will be passing pedestrian crossings and approaching the intersection. There are bike boxes in the intersection for left-turning bikes.

View attachment 97802 View attachment 97803

Well done. I thoroughly enjoy seeing stuff like this. I may agree with others though that it might be best to exclude cycle tracks from King completely. With the volume of pedestrians I can't see it working well. Same with QQW. The concept is great, but in a way it's a victim of its own success. Too many cyclists, too many pedestrians, and I don't think any amount of signage will improve it.

This is something that a lot of people seem to forget. I think if those entrances and side streets didn't exist this project would've been greenlit years or decades ago. Adam Vaughan was one of the most urban and forward-thinking council members, and I believe he was opposed to a car-less central King. Not because he was pro-car or anti-pedestrian, rather because a car-free central King doesn't really work.

I may agree with others though that it might be best to exclude cycle tracks from King completely. With the volume of pedestrians I can't see it working well. Same with QQW. The concept is great, but in a way it's a victim of its own success. Too many cyclists, too many pedestrians, and I don't think any amount of signage will improve it.
That's the example that comes to my mind too, and as both an avid cyclist and avid pedestrian, I hate cycling/walking through there, one is tense from being on edge all the time with rare occasions when it's deserted. I honestly prefer to cycle on the road to prevent cyclist/pedestrian collisions, it's mayhem.

On King, since consensus is pretty much that some form of *limited access for vehicles* is needed (but no through traffic), that too can be used for cyclists, but it will not be anywhere near optimal for cycling save to a specific destination down there. (Edit: Note the "No Cycling" sign upper left top pic) Pedestrians will be swarming all over, it will be prone to collisions, but there's really not much that can be done to prevent stupidity. My biggest concern then is that the streetcars can make good time through there without having to go slow for the mindless pedestrians.

MELBOURNE_9149.jpg

images
images

Note the sense of being oblivious to the trams, Youtube vids clearly show the trams moving slowly and pedestrians darting across the mall in front of the trams. That's really what we need to address now that most of us agree cycling lanes won't work. I look at that stretch as a cyclist, and my reaction is: "Get off and walk, it's way too dangerous and unpredictable". Note the angle the vehicles are parked at, btw. Further detail for discussion. Is King wide enough for right angle parking, or is it going to have to be parallel? I think the latter, but like to hear others views.

Even though "transit mall" and "pedestrian mall" overlap in design and principle, unlike the Melbourne mall above, the objective with the King St one is to move people across town as rapidly as possible. Fencing/barriers of some sort might have to be considered to at least channel pedestrians crossing (with a light) rather than just random sporadic as seen above.

One of many Youtube vids on the Bourke Street Mall in Melbourne:

Last edited:

Back