News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

AFAIK cleaning happens at the end of the lines, I've seen it at kennedy but not kipling though
Used to be cleaners at Kipling, but been a long time since I seen one. Then the lack of newspapers in the system reduced the need for cleaners, but still the need to remove bottles and coffee cups as well food contains left behind by people to lazy to put them into the bin at their stop. Even the buses are not clean anymore.

Used to be cleaners at Kipling, but been a long time since I seen one. Then the lack of newspapers in the system reduced the need for cleaners, but still the need to remove bottles and coffee cups as well food contains left behind by people to lazy to put them into the bin at their stop. Even the buses are not clean anymore.
I laugh when people have all these grand plans of densification when you can walk to literally any park in Toronto and find garbage on the ground less than 10 feet from a bin! I'll see it every time I take my dog on a walk, the city does an amazing job at providing bins in parks and we still don't have people willing to use them.

I laugh when people have all these grand plans of densification when you can walk to literally any park in Toronto and find garbage on the ground less than 10 feet from a bin! I'll see it every time I take my dog on a walk, the city does an amazing job at providing bins in parks and we still don't have people willing to use them.
Except that the bins end up overflowing. Not emptied because it is not in the schedule, all to save money.
20190422-toronto-garbage-overflow.jpg

From link.

Meanwhile...

From link.
doesn't the North-South metro line run directly under this street/route?

either way that would be ideal for King in my opinion.

a car free transit mall on the surface for local stops + a GO RER tunnel underneath with 5 or 6 stations between Liberty Village and East Harbour. the tunnelled route doesn't necessarily have to go directly under King per se, but either King, Wellington, Front, or the rail corridor itself.

Last edited:
The North-South Line is quite deep, so not as convenient for short trips. Granted, walking is very convenient in Amsterdam. The metro also connects to Amsterdam Zuid (which is just as important as Amsterdam Centraal in the regional network), which the 24 is not as convenient for.

Except that the bins end up overflowing. Not emptied because it is not in the schedule, all to save money.
20190422-toronto-garbage-overflow.jpg

From link.
I was talking about parks specifically since those are well implemented and usually if you're in a park there's a chance you'd like nature. The street bins are kind of ass and they removed the pedals which made things worse.

about every other trip, though lately it's rare it's directed at me. I've even been sexually harassed as a guy in the bathroom. It was actually the kick in the pants that got me to start driving, I kept getting personally harassed on dates when we'd subway home.
Even saw a guy PEEING ONTO THE TRACKS at ~5pm at yonge and bloor. Funny since it's one of the few stops with a bathroom!

There were like 3000 security related delays alone last year, depending on your route chances are good it will at least delay you.
Like you said.... https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/01/bystander-stops-man-peeing-toronto-subway-platform/

When I walked past queen about 2 weeks ago, the entire street level entrance was filled with people in tents and sleeping bags (old photo added)

I actually had to go into the mall, take the elevator and walk in to the below ground mall entrance.
But stuff like this doesn't show up in rider data so nothing will change.

light.png

*edit* from the article: It's a concern highlighted by the TTC's Stuart Green, who argues that "rather than recording these incidents" and potentially embarrassing someone who may be experiencing medical or mental distress, "individuals would report this to our staff immediately."

It seems Stuart hasn't tried reporting anything to an employee because most don't give 2 shits, if we record things it's a lot harder for the city to ignore.

Last edited:
We have threads on various topics. This one is about King St. We have threads for general TTC issues, social issues and more. Just because there isn’t news or developments doesn’t mean the thread becomes a free for all. People don’t appreciate getting notifications about a thread only to find unrelated posts.

Please review our rules of conduct. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/urbantoronto-rules-of-conduct.7113/

Who’d have thought that a lack of enforcement would be an issue? Sigh. We have something like 6000 police officers in the city, where are they?

Of course the best way to prevent cars from using the King Street ROW isn't through enforcement, but through making it physically impossible/improbable that a car can break the rules, like below in Sofia.

640px-Traffic_bollard_in_Sofia_lets_the_tram_pass_by_tehn_deploys_again_20090406_005.JPG

Now that the King Street ROW is permanent, it's time to install permanent solutions to the matter of auto incursions. Presumably authorized vehicles, which in Toronto's case in addition to city and emergency vehicles, would include taxis during permitted times, would have a transponder to lower the bollards.

Last edited:

Who’d have thought that a lack of enforcement would be an issue? Sigh. We have something like 6000 police officers in the city, where are they?

Of course the best way to prevent cars from using the King Street ROW isn't through enforcement, but through making it physically impossible/improbable that a car can break the rules, like below in Sofia.

640px-Traffic_bollard_in_Sofia_lets_the_tram_pass_by_tehn_deploys_again_20090406_005.JPG

Now that the King Street ROW is permanent, it's time to install permanent solutions to the matter of auto incursions. Presumably authorized vehicles, which in Toronto's case in addition to city and emergency vehicles, would include taxis during permitted times, would have a transponder to lower the bollards.
If they haven't implemented bollards in the union station tunnel I don't see them doing it on a street with mixed traffic

They go to busy downtown corners where they tell 50 pedestrians to wait for the next light cycle so that two single occupant cars can make a left turn without waiting.

There will be still idiots who will bypass such minor obstacles...

Back