News   Jul 26, 2024
 883     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I guess the transit mall on King is more compelling because of the volume on the King line, but I hope that if it's successful we will see the concept eventually expand to include Queen.

I guess the transit mall on King is more compelling because of the volume on the King line, but I hope that if it's successful we will see the concept eventually expand to include Queen.

Well the hope is that Queen will have the DRL under it, so transit on the street will be redundant. If anything, it would likely be given a lane reduction, wider sidewalks, and bike lanes.

The question is when will they do a test...this won't happen without a soft launch of some sort...I'd say TIFF makes sense, but the problem is that TIFF blocks the streetcars as well...maybe in the week leading up to TIFF and the week after TIFF...then expand it to all summer next year...

They could have let the streetcars run during last year's TIFF while closing it to cars, but they decided not to.

The DRL won't have nearly as many stops, so I doubt the streetcar line would be removed.

I think it will once the DRL covers the bulk of Queen. If it's extended to Roncesvalles, I think you'll see the outer branches of the Queen streetcar detour onto King at River and Roncesvalles, with only maybe a local bus service along Queen itself, similar to Yonge.

Also, entrance location matters more than stop location. If you place entrances properly, you can minimize the amount of surface walking.

I think it will once the DRL covers the bulk of Queen.

Bulk of Queen? Broadview to Neville is nearly 6 km. Broadview to Yonge is only 2.5 km - many won't bother to transfer to subway at Broadview.

West of Yonge ... that's just so far in the future not to worry about yet. Who knows, they might just terminate the next phase at SmartTrack near Dufferin, with only stations at Spadina, Bathurst and Dufferin. Too soon ....

Bulk of Queen? Broadview to Neville is nearly 6 km. Broadview to Yonge is only 2.5 km - many won't bother to transfer to subway at Broadview.

West of Yonge ... that's just so far in the future not to worry about yet. Who knows, they might just terminate the next phase at SmartTrack near Dufferin, with only stations at Spadina, Bathurst and Dufferin. Too soon ....

I realize that it won't be built all at once, but the initial comment was made with regards to "eventually" putting in a transit mall on Queen as well.

And yes, "bulk" may have been the wrong word, but basically I was saying most of the central section of Queen (from Roncesvalles to River). East of the Don, the streetcar would obviously remain, but would act as a) a feeder to the DRL, and b) run along King west of the Don instead.

My point is that once there's a near full buildout of the DRL, instead of putting in a transit mall along Queen, it should be reduced to 2 lanes, have bike lanes, and wider sidewalks. It shouldn't be a full transit mall, since there won't be much, if any, surface transit left on that part of Queen.

I don't think there will be a transit mall anywhere in Toronto. The best we are going to get is one lane one way traffic with notches for short term parking (for delivery vehicles).

So the current 4.5 lane streets like Queen or king will become 3.5 lanes. With two lanes for street cars and 1.5 lanes for cars.

Step one: put cobblestones between the streetcar tracks.

263-fr-mt.jpg

The rough ride will give notice to automobile drivers, you are not supposed be on here.

We couldn't even get grass on Queen's Quay, no way are we going to get cobblestones. And in that photo, the cobbles are everywhere -- they are treacherous when wet for cyclists and unpleasant at the best of times. If they're only between the tracks, though, that's not an issue.

I'm pretty sure the city planning department actually thought that one out, that if they make one of the two main streets (King or Queen) into a transit mall, they can divert the streetcar traffic easily to the other so they can build the DRL stations.

We couldn't even get grass on Queen's Quay, no way are we going to get cobblestones. And in that photo, the cobbles are everywhere -- they are treacherous when wet for cyclists and unpleasant at the best of times. If they're only between the tracks, though, that's not an issue.
I'm pretty sure TTC would reject it. TTC has been doing emergency repairs from time to time on streetcar tracks. It would lengthen their repair duration.

I'm pretty sure TTC would reject it. TTC has been doing emergency repairs from time to time on streetcar tracks. It would lengthen their repair duration.

Actually, it's far more forgiving than having to jackhammer out poured concrete. You can pull up the cobblestones in no time. And reuse them. And there's no curing time when you reinstall.

- Paul

Back