News   Jul 29, 2024
 692     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 638     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

They tried PAINTING a streetcar right-of-way on St. Clair Avenue West. Didn't work, the single-occupant automobile drivers just ignored the paint and drove on the streetcar tracks. That's why they had to put in a physical separated right-of-way on St. Clair.

To my knowledge, cars weren't prohibited on the St. Clair streetcar lanes before the R.O.W. got built.

I lived near St Clair long ago (before 2003) and remember that the central lanes were officially shared between streetcars and cars. Perhaps there was a short period after I left, when the cars were banned but not physically prevented from using those lanes; but I am not aware of such restrictions ever being in place.

Too tough on the cars? I barely see any enforcement downtown with motorists breaking the law. I live at Bloor/Yonge and I see motorists gun it through red lights multiple times per day because they don't want to wait for both the other direction of traffic and the pedestrian scramble before they can start speeding again. I should be able to cross without fear when the walk sign is on rather than having to check for cars running the reds before I start crossing.

And how many people start crossing when the hands flash red? How many start to move the second the other direction turns red before their light turns green? How many dash infront of moving vehicles mid block? How many cyclists pass between cars at a red light and overtake right turn cars on the right, or how many actually stops at a stop sign?

You see several cars braking the law, those are wrong and the drivers should be fined or banned from driving. But what about the exponentially higher number of pedestrians and cyclists who are oblivious the existence of any such laws?

People say that drivers are operating a weapon. Howeve people forget that drivers arnt driving their “weapons” on to padestrian side walk, but rather it is many times the pedestrians that are forcing them selves into the driver’s right of way and demanding usage priority in direct contradiction to the rules of the road.

The words war on cars is a little over the top when it comes to its meaning, however the double standard of care in left leaning members of society is too extreme.

And how many people start crossing when the hands flash red? How many start to move the second the other direction turns red before their light turns green? How many dash infront of moving vehicles mid block? How many cyclists pass between cars at a red light and overtake right turn cars on the right, or how many actually stops at a stop sign?

You see several cars braking the law, those are wrong and the drivers should be fined or banned from driving. But what about the exponentially higher number of pedestrians and cyclists who are oblivious the existence of any such laws?

People say that drivers are operating a weapon. Howeve people forget that drivers arnt driving their “weapons” on to padestrian side walk, but rather it is many times the pedestrians that are forcing them selves into the driver’s right of way and demanding usage priority in direct contradiction to the rules of the road.

The words war on cars is a little over the top when it comes to its meaning, however the double standard of care in left leaning members of society is too extreme.
How many motorists go over 100km/h on the highway? Pretty much all of them. I'm not seeing your point here.

How many motorists go over 100km/h on the highway? Pretty much all of them. I'm not seeing your point here.

Do Police hand out speeding tickets? Do they hand out tickets to people who start cross when the hand flashes red? Do cyclists need to pass a G1 drivers license to learn traffic laws before operating their vehicle on the motorway?

I thought my point is clear.

To follow up on this bit, I’ve contacted my councillor (Joe Cressy) to ask whether left turns will be enabled at Richmond and Spadina. Cars travelling westbound need a way to continue west after being forced off King. The signage as it is now on Spadina leaves no choice but to keep going northbound. I’d be shocked if they didn’t think about this, but not so shocked if they did but left it as is.

I think this is a great suggestion to make the traffic diversion more effective if the King Pilot becomes permanent.

As others have mentioned, it can't be done for the pilot itself since it requires a major intersection rebuild. To allow cars to safely turn across the streetcar ROW, you need fully-protected left turn signals and therefore a left turn lane. Currently that space is taken up by the platform for the northbound Richmond streetcar stop. But I think we can easily do without that stop - as demonstrated by the fact that there is no corresponding southbound stop. It's only 190 metres from the Queen or King stops, so if removed the spacing between stops would still be a very reasonable 375m - nicely within the 300-400m ideal for local transit routes. And as an added bonus, streetcars would no longer fall out of sync with the green wave that is provided through the closely-spaced signals by stopping in the middle of it.

tmpx.JPG

Originally when the Spadina ROW was built they probably didn't bother putting in a left turn signal at Richmond because it only continues as far as Bathurst, so people heading west would just turn down King or Queen instead. But if King permanently becomes a local street, then Richmond would actually become the through route from Spadina to west of Bathurst. At that point, we could remove the existing northbound left turn signal onto King. Given that there's already no southbound left turn signal onto King, it would take a whole signal phase out of the cycle, providing more green time for all the streetcars (and pedestrians) that use the Spadina & King intersection.

Attachments

• tmpx.JPG
    tmpx.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 291
I think this is a great suggestion to make the traffic diversion more effective if the King Pilot becomes permanent.

Agreed, seems to make a lot of sense for a permanent diversion. Never really understood that stop at Richmond anyway. Anyone know if it really gets that busy compared to the other stops? Now if they would also get rid of Willcocks and Sussex, then the 510 would probably run much better.

Do Police hand out speeding tickets?
Yes, but not for going over 100km/h...they only hand them out if you go over 120km/h.

Do they hand out tickets to people who start cross when the hand flashes red?
No, but they don't enforce a ton of motorist rules either.

Do cyclists need to pass a G1 drivers license to learn traffic laws before operating their vehicle on the motorway?
No, but there are good reasons against licensing for cyclists: https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=0be4970aa08c1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

I thought my point is clear.
Your point still isn't clear.

They're hung on the streetcars' overhead wires every so often.

EDIT: @deep6ing Ok, they’re all gone. I remember seeing them as late as this Summer. Makes sense that they would be removed for the pilot since it’s required that cars drive in the streetcar lane.

Here they are, still on streetview. The times were actually extended by an hour not too long ago.

upload_2017-11-5_21-38-6.png

https://goo.gl/maps/WKaH8mscQCJ2

https://goo.gl/maps/fYmieLT1Kmn

And an overhead one.
upload_2017-11-5_21-40-56.png
https://goo.gl/maps/1971SYTN1rM2

And together.
upload_2017-11-5_21-42-33.png

https://goo.gl/maps/AUAzA2ooBvr

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-5_21-38-6.png
    upload_2017-11-5_21-38-6.png
    630.8 KB · Views: 434
  • upload_2017-11-5_21-40-56.png
    upload_2017-11-5_21-40-56.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 414
  • upload_2017-11-5_21-42-33.png
    upload_2017-11-5_21-42-33.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 410
It seems that the people who do not cycle are the ones who want bicycle licenses. Wonder if the people who do not walk would want pedestrian licenses as
Yes, but not for going over 100km/h...they only hand them out if you go over 120km/h.

No, but there are good reasons against licensing for cyclists: https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=0be4970aa08c1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Seems you’re very passionate about this topic. So I will agree to disagree wit

I think it’s best to agree to disagree.

It seems that the people who do not cycle are the ones who want bicycle licenses. Wonder if the people who do not walk would want pedestrian licenses as well, along with reflective vests?

Yes everyone would always want to regulate others so they can enjoy increased freedom. They’re natural human tendencies. The key is the find a fair and effective balance.

Youre right in your points, and I would also be right in saying that those who don’t drive push for the war on cars. Always two sides.

Attachments

• 3B59F3EC-B814-4FC0-9851-B171ACB32DB1.jpeg
    3B59F3EC-B814-4FC0-9851-B171ACB32DB1.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 285
The ones east of Jarvis were there the other day. Presumably they are taking them down between Jarvis and Bathurst. I'll keep my eyes open this week.

Back