News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 880     0 

John Street Ideas Competition - TED BIA - Support The ORE

My studio Department of Unusual Certainties unfortunately was not selected in the Top 5, which is a shame, because of course we're proud of our submission. If anyone is interested, you can check it out here.
http://departmentofunusualcertainties.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/stairspace-to-heaven/

It would be nice to get some feedback.

501, I like your submission. Using vertical space and the pace underneath for bikes, etc is great. I like the multiuse. The materials look good and it has a nice flow to it with the platforms throughout.

Just looking at the renderings though, it felt like there were too many stairs. It feels too tall. Perhaps if there were added sidewalk space and less height on the stairs, that would have made it feel more cozy and part of the environment.

And for what it's worth, I like the King St Staircase and Oracle Square ones the best.

Given the prime location, it's an exciting idea. While the area in question may not be ugly, it's certainly boring -- and boring is something that Toronto has in a bit too much supply. So, even though I'm not a fan of all of the designs, I suspect that each would represent a significant improvement over the present use of the space.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/11/design_competition_to_give_birth_to_john_street_square/

I like the winning proposal because it opens up the space and the wood reminds me (somewhat) of the Slips. I don't like it because the wood things (unlike the slips) are seemingly useless (classic case of form over function). If this is the case why didn't we just open up the space and have an art competition?

Does anyone know if the existing trees will remain or will they be cut down and replaced?

I don't think this contest is over yet. There's still a little thing called the swimsuit competition.

Really though, voting closes January 7th, so there's a while to go yet.
Haha!
Thanks Dilla.

Funny, I think the 'entertain me' is still one of the better proposals. :/
I guess I'm leaning towards the staircase. Although, I really don't like the idea of ripping out the existing trees--maybe this proposal with a few of the trees left in and the row of baby trees left out. I can do that right? They'll listen to me.

Last edited:
JOHN STREET SQUARE FINALISTS

John Street Square, so named for the purpose of the competition, is to be installed at the currently-underutilized southeast corner of King and John Streets. The square is envisioned as the central gathering place for Toronto’s Entertainment District, linking the upcoming John Street Arts & Culture Promenade with major attractions on King Street, including TIFF Bell Lightbox, the Princess of Wales and Royal Alexandra Theatres, Metro Square, and Roy Thomson Hall.

The following are the top five finalists for John Street Square as chosen by an esteemed panel of judges. Members of the public are encouraged to vote for their favourite of these proposals.

FINALIST #1 – KING ST. TERRACE

King St Terrace aims to create an attractive and inviting multi-purpose cultural space for John Street Square, encompassing an information / ticket kiosk; grassy relaxation areas; a stepped terrace with functioning restaurant beneath; a large backdrop stage used for outdoor cinema, theatre performances, and concerts; and a diagonal, lit pathway serving as a catwalk for Fashion Week.

King St Terrace’s signature element is a graphic pattern of white LEDs embedded in the ground, which amplifies the square and gives guidance through it without physically partitioning it.

JohnStSqFinalist1A.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist1B.jpg

FINALIST #2 – KING ST. STAIRCASE

King Street Staircase imagines transforming the strategic intersection of King and John into a monumental staircase in the spirit of Sacré-Coeur in Paris, The Met in New York, and the Vancouver Art Gallery in Vancouver. The stair would provide a desperately-needed place to sit, linger, and gather for the Entertainment District’s 50,000 workers, 10,000 residents and countless visitors.

The staircase at John Street Square would be a dynamic piece of urban sculpture and a destination in itself; its shape taking cues from surrounding buildings and pedestrian movements and its forms supporting major events in the area.

JohnStSqFinalist2A.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist2B.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist2C.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist2D.jpg

FINALIST #3 – URBAN BALLROOM

Urban Ballroom proposes making John Street Square an exciting and playful multi-functional outdoor room for gatherings and events and as a place to linger. The space would be open to visitors from all directions and be furnished with intermingling zones of occupation, scaled from the crowd to the individual.

The ceiling of Urban Ballroom is made from a web of solar-powered globe lights which illuminate the space, define it spatially, and compress it by way of a catenary bulge. The ground plane rises subtly to meet the curve of the ceiling, allowing for views over the crowd. The east and west ends of the square are filled with balls of various sizes arranged into informal seating clusters.

JohnStSqFinalist3A.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist3B.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist3C.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist3D.jpg

FINALIST #4 – ENTERTAIN ME

Entertain Me seeks to enhance and extend John Street Square with a highly-visible and unified paving pattern, suggesting film strips or folded theatre curtains, running right to the frontages of surrounding buildings and along the entire length of the new John Street Promenade. Inside the square, the paving is extruded into three-dimensional wooden forms accommodating seating for large and small gatherings. Interspersed in this landscape are trees planted in bioswales, lit from within at night to compliment the plaza’s other lighting effects, including LEDs set in some of the paving units and new neighbourhood light poles.

JohnStSqFinalist4A.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist4B.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist4C.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist4D.jpg

FINALIST #5 – ORACLE SQUARE

Oracle Square is conceived as a loose savannah of vertical and horizontal forms, delineating and intensifying John Street Square within the Entertainment District. Oracle Square contains 27 cylinders, three meters in diameter and 25 meters high, with fully programmable translucent skins. These are planted in a floor of undulating permeable stone, circular garden patches, and reflecting pools, with three dimensional ‘mushrooms’ offering cover and protection. Suspended fifteen meters above is the Filigreed Fog, a light mesh ceiling lit at night for added effect.

JohnStSqFinalist5A.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist5B.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist5C.jpg

JohnStSqFinalist5D.jpg

All images courtesy of Toronto Entertainment District BIA-John Street Ideas Competition

--
Doug Convoy
Contributing Writer
UrbanToronto.ca

Last edited:
I apologize in advance if this has already been answered:

Who's funding this project ? Is it solely from the development being built (without sales yet) right beside it? Or is it in partership with the city i.e. do we know when this will go ahead either way ?

gotta say my favourite is King St. Terrace, followed by Entertain Me. I think I like the ballroom concept the least. I like the idea of the concept with the steps, because realistically I can see it being filled with people and tourists throughout all hours during the summer or during events in the area. Although I do think this concept does look least pleasing without people.

this may seem silly, but I can't figure out how those light ceilings for a bunch of these submissions are going to do in winter. will snow - and a lot of it - not affect them?

According to Hume at the Star we have a winner.....drumroll please.......Urban Ballroom:

Hume: An ‘Urban Ballroom’ at King and John?

In a city used to running in circles, what could be more welcome than a new square?

If the Entertainment District Business Improvement Association has its way, that’s exactly what we’ll get — a new square on the southeast corner of King and John streets.

The plan remains just that, a plan. But already the association has sponsored a design competition for the site and chosen a winner, Coryn Kempster, whose submission, Urban Ballroom, would transform this strangely invisible spot into something more compelling.

Kemptser, 36, studied art and architecture at the University of Toronto and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He also worked for the innovative Swiss architectural practice Herzog & de Meuron.

Despite its simplicity, his entry might be just what’s needed to bring life to this neglected corner. The most interesting thing on site these days is the hot dog vendor, which tells you much about the state of a corner that has become much more visible since the Toronto International Film Festival Bell Lightbox opened just across the road last year.

Kempster’s ballroom is defined by a “ceiling†of lights and cables. Suspended on steel poles, they are surrounded by rows of trees on all four sides. Beneath is an assortment of large stone spheres that function as seats.

“I’m ecstatic,†Kempster enthused from Basel, Switzerland, where he’s visiting. “It’s a small site but one that has enormous potential. It’s like this little, hidden-away piece of land. I wanted my design to be as simple as possible. And I wanted it to be something that was different during the day and at night, something that relates to the Entertainment District.â€

The scheme is one part of a larger plan to create a Cultural Corridor on John St., which runs south from Stephanie St. and Grange Park to Front St. The city approved the concept back in 1998, but since then little has happened.

“We did a master plan several years ago,†explains Janice Solomon, president of the BIA. “We want to make it feel like a destination street.â€

John has already become a “destination street,†but almost by accident. Though it connects a variety of major attractions — from the Art Gallery of Ontario and TIFF to the Princess of Wales Theatre and Rogers Centre — it couldn’t be more ordinary.

The outcome depends on whether the BIA can rouse some enthusiasm at city hall — doubtful with the current regime. On the other hand, it could do what the Bloor/Yorkville association did and dig deep into its own pockets.

As often as not, BIAs are rushing to fill the vacuum left as the city retreats into chronic impoverishment. A Cultural Corridor could be little more than a few benches, some trees and advertising kiosks, or it could include wider sidewalks, lane closures and one or more public squares.

“Private stakeholders believe in this project and they see it as an important city building initiative,†Solomon says. “An investment has been made in this project by the businesses of the Entertainment District. We’re confident that the province and the federal governments will recognizer this as an important cultural project.

“The ideas competition was intended to start discussion and keep people engaged,†Solomon says. “Our next step might be to look at Front and John for a second ideas competition. In the meantime, we’re embarked on the environmental assessment. In the next four to six weeks, we will be looking at a final design option.â€

The $5,000 first prize will be awarded officially on Facebook, www.facebook.com/TorontoED, Wednesday at 10 a.m.

There was something about the winning idea that I liked, but it's missing something, I'm not quite sure what. I didn't expect it to win, but I'm pleased that it did. Let's see what comes out of this once the details are fleshed out.

Back