News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

John Street Ideas Competition - TED BIA - Support The ORE

SpadinaBus

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have not seen a thread on this yet, but could be wrong (mods, move this if need be to its proper location).

The Toronto Entertainment District BIA is having a design competition for ideas to redo the square on the south east corner of King St. W and John St. (http://www.torontoed.com/johnst)

johnstreet.jpg

My team of the Office for Responsive Environments (winners of the Design of Distinction Winners for the "Braided Strands" Pedestrian Bridge at Portland and Front) is thinking about getting together again. The public will vote on the submissions and we need your support UT forum members!

We will keep you up to date on what's happening but here is some info from the competition brief. More to come.

When?
• Competition begins Monday, October 4, 2010 (9am ET)
• Submission closing date is Thursday, November 4, 2010 (3pm ET)
• Finalists will be revealed Thursday, November 18, 2010 (11am ET)
• Public can begin voting Thursday, November 18, 2010 (11am ET)
• Voting closing date is Friday, January 7, 2011 (3pm ET)
• Winner will be revealed Wednesday, January 19, 2011 (11am ET)
• For more information about key dates, please view the official rules

Why?

This is an “ideas†competition to generate inspiring, creative ideas for an
underutilized space in the heart of Toronto’s Entertainment District. Named
‘John Street Square’ for the purpose of this competition, this space is situated in
an area undergoing an extraordinary transformation and requires a redesign to
better serve and leverage its strategic location.

The Toronto Entertainment District Business Improvement Area (BIA),
recognizes the opportunity to rethink John Street Square and seeks creative
ideas to complement and inspire the future transformation of John Street.

I have long thought that that area, as currently designed, was a waste of space. It's cut off from the street by that weird structure and the planters, and although I walk by there almost every day I'm not really sure what's behind those planters. Personally I think that a row of stores would do well there, to continue the retail from west of John Street across to the east. I'd also be happy with a nicely-designed square, though. Maybe a fountain? Who doesn't love a fountain?

I love fountains too! The one near Tokyo station was nice. But that's just one of many I like. The one currently near Royal Thompson Hall was interesting. It didn't wow me but I liked it. I also like Seoul's long public space going across the city.

Fountain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice to save some of the trees at the "square". The planters could be removed to create a more open public space. Maybe a small pavilion cafe could be located there, with some attractive table and chairs on a stone patio. What purpose do those structures serve? (I'm thinking of the ones with the pitched metal frame "roofs" that are visually related to Metro Hall.)

Right now there is a government office (employment?) and a small square with some tables behind that odd structure.

It would be nice to open up the area by removing those strange structures, a cafe as mentioned could then use the space.

The ORE met last night over a few pints. We have come up with the thrust of our proposal, which will certainly shakeup thoughts on how to deal with the square. BTW, the square is a real mess as it sits today.
We start formal designs and renders on the weekend.
Keep your ideas coming and perhaps it will inspire us or we could incorporate it into our current design.
We will keep you posted.
S'Bus

I visited Metro Square today and I realized that I had forgotten how attractive and smart it was as a redevelopment project and public square. There's the eternal flame with reflecting pool and those sculpture fountains, which are surprisingly nice. The public space opens up viewing opportunities to Roy Thompson Hall and the Royal Alex's great Beaux Arts facade. The symmetrical Postmodern buildings of Metro Hall give the space a sense of grandeur, while maintaining a modern lightness that never feels overpowering. The landscaping is great, too. Now, it's surprisingly sophisticated because Metro Hall seems peripheral, no longer a symbolic building to represent Metro Toronto.

Though it's a public space in front of a government building, suggesting a need for formality, it would been better to have some cafes and restaurants fronting the space that would be open into the evenings and on weekends, to draw people into the space at different times of the day. Otherwise, it feels underused and underappreciated.

I think these observations on the existing Metro Square are relevant because it's important that the new space at King and John be in harmony with the rest of the public space around Metro Hall while addressing the functional weaknesses of those planters at King and John.

Update on where the ORE are at with our submittals for the competition.
Met again on the weekend and sorted out some finishing details. Much work to do on the renderings, now less than 10 days to go.
Still have to come up with a catchy title, something will come up as we work out the presentation.
We are pumped!
S'Bus

OK, with minutes to spare, the Office for Responsive Enviroments submission has been submitted to the jury.
Our proposal is called "Oracle Square" and we hopefully will make it through as a finalist.
Public voting begins on November 18th! We will let you know what happens!
S'Bus

Sorry, entries may be closed, but we should let the jury work in peace for a while here in the spirit of the competition.
However, Toronto ED has announced another contest for the voting public, so a vote for the Office for Responsive Environment's "ORACLE SQUARE" entry may fetch you a night out in the entertainment district!

Here are the details from their website:

Help us select our winner!
The submission deadline for the John Street Ideas Competition has now passed and our jury is busy selecting the five lucky finalists whose names will be revealed at a LIVE Facebook event later this month! Don’t miss this exciting announcement – one of the finalists will have a chance to influence the transformation of John Street Square! For event reminders and competition updates, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

Attend.
Join us on Facebook from 10 am to 11 am on Thursday, November 18, 2010, where members of our influential jury will share valuable insight into the selection process before presenting our five outstanding finalists.

Vote.
The John Street Ideas Competition invited the public to submit bold, creative design ideas for John Street Square. Our judges are selecting the finalists. You get to help us select the winner. Get ready. Get set. Go cast your vote between November 18 - January 7, 2011!

Win.
Following the big finalist reveal, we’ll hand the voting over to you. View their renderings, read their vision statements, and vote for a chance to WIN a “Great Night Out†in the Toronto Entertainment District! On January 19, 2011, we will host a second LIVE Facebook event to announce the grand prize winner and distribute “Great Night Out†packages to 3 lucky voters!

S'Bus

Last edited:
I'd like to see someone go back in time and 'terminate' the architects of Metro Hall.

Back