News   Jul 12, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 774     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

Jarvis Streetscape Improvements Environmental Assessment

Well, council voted to remove the Jarvis bike lanes today. Sad, maddening and ridiculous.

Personally, since I live near Jarvis and have to cross it constantly, I'm furious. This is a big setback for downtown east of Yonge, by way of making it more liveable and accessible. It's going to dull the desirability of the neighbourhoods along Jarvis, and slow urban improvements here. All this just to satisfy the backwards vacuity of this grotesque mayoralty and his quisling toadies.

Ugh.

I wish the vote had gone the other way, but I also understand the reasoning behind it. When the Yonge/York/Bay Gardiner offramp is shut down there will only be three exits from the Gardiner. Spadina, Simcoe and Jarvis will become the major traffic entrances into the city, Spadina in the west, Simcoe in the centre and Jarvis in the east

I wish the vote had gone the other way, but I also understand the reasoning behind it. When the Yonge/York/Bay Gardiner offramp is shut down there will only be three exits from the Gardiner. Spadina, Simcoe and Jarvis will become the major traffic entrances into the city, Spadina in the west, Simcoe in the centre and Jarvis in the east
The 5-lane segment of Jarvis is only north of Queen. The busiest section of Jarvis is south of King. The 5-lane segment has nothing to do with the Gardiner - it's to get drivers home to midtown slightly faster.

Also, I'm not aware of any long-term plan to remove the Yonge/York/Bay ramp.

Funny reading this thread and seeing what the publicly showcased plans were for Jarvis, what we ended up getting for Jarvis, and seeing that Jarvis will go back to square one. All because of the last-minute change of plans for bike lanes.

Had permanent narrowing of Jarvis taken place, we wouldn't be seeing those reversable lane signals be strung back up and lines repainted yet again. Nobody wins.

Also, I'm not aware of any long-term plan to remove the Yonge/York/Bay ramp.
I am sure I have heard the long-term, or perhaps even mid-term plan is to get rid of the corkscrew York/Bay ramp.

The 90 Harbour section 37 funds 10 million dollars towards relocation of Yonge/York/Bay ramps to exit at Simcoe (Sept 28, 2012)

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/09...-york-brings-increased-neighbourhood-benefits
The graphic on this page clearly shows the ramp remaining, and providing access to York and Lakeshore (which then brings drivers to Bay and York). The loop is being removed, but access will continue for everything. I wasn't aware that they were also providing access to Simcoe ... not sure I understand how that provides access to downtown ... isn't Simcoe one-way south (north of Bremner)?

City of Toronto Plan re: Yonge/York/Bay ramp removal (revised Sept 5 2012)

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/yby_interchange/#pro
It clearly says reconfiguration not removal.

Last edited:
Another Study http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/yby_interchange/pdf/cdw_presentation.pdf see pages 22 -23

Simcoe St.jpg

Attachments

• Simcoe St.jpg
    Simcoe St.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 202
The plan calls for the removal of the existing ramp with a new off ramp to be at surface level by the time it hit York St.

This was restated only a few weeks ago at a public meeting.

The existing ramp will be history with a new park in its place.

The plan calls for the removal of the existing ramp with a new off ramp to be at surface level by the time it hit York St.

This was restated only a few weeks ago at a public meeting.
What's with the Simcoe exit, or was that just a preliminary proposal?

The existing ramp will be history with a new park in its place.
The curve at the end of the ramp will have a new park in its place, but most of the ramp will just have the new ramp for York in the same location, but a different elevation.

What's with the Simcoe exit, or was that just a preliminary proposal?

The curve at the end of the ramp will have a new park in its place, but most of the ramp will just have the new ramp for York in the same location, but a different elevation.

What was stated a few weeks ago, drivers will still be able to use York St, but have to deal with traffic lights to do so to go north. Only the Yonge/Bay ramp will remain at this time.

Some ppl want that ramp to go bye bye.

The curve ramp will be history.

As for Simcoe, nothing was said about it and no idea where it stands at this time.

How many voted against removing the bike lane on Jarvis. i don't understand how it went through since there are more councillors against Ford than when he took office pls the expense of removing it. Plus the Councillor for the area is Kristyn Wong-Tam and she is against removing the bike lane (and I heard one of the councillors speak at council who said that councillors usually will vote based o whether the councillor for the area is for or against a proposal

Back