News   May 08, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Is two-tier transit coming to Toronto?

M

M II A II R II K

Private bus service opens door to `the other way'

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...8793972154

Is two-tier transit coming to Toronto?

A private company plans to begin selling tickets today for a bus that would take people to Union Station from the condominiums along Lake Shore Blvd. west of the Humber River.

The bus will be an alternative, the company says, to overcrowded streetcars that can't keep up with the demands of a booming lakefront condo population.

The service is pegged to cost $199.99 for a month's pass.

There's just one potential problem with the proposed Humber Bay Express: The Toronto Transit Commission thinks it's illegal and one official says a move will be made to shut it down.

"The City of Toronto Act says the only people who can run public transit is the TTC," Vince Rodo, the TTC's general secretary, said this week.

And Etobicoke-Lakeshore Councillor Mark Grimes thinks it should stay that way.

Grimes, a TTC commissioner, has been working with the Humber Bay Shores Condominium Association to try to persuade the TTC to add express bus service to an area that has seen condominiums springing up. He said the commission will consider adding a route if he and the condo group can sell 70 monthly Metropasses in the area. So far, that hasn't happened.

But when told about the Humber Bay Express, Grimes was unequivocal.

"I wouldn't be in favour of it," he said.

Howard Moscoe, who chairs the TTC, said: "The TTC has a monopoly on public transit. If people start creaming off lucrative public routes, it would do irreparable damage to the system."

Rodo said services like the Humber Bay Express have been proposed before and most of the time prospective owners drop their plans when they find out about the law. Jim Lord, head of the Humber Bay Shores Condominium Association, said the bus plan highlights the need for transit service in the area.

For Anna Chakina, a resident of 2088 Lake Shore Blvd. W., the decision is easy. She would use the private bus to get to her waitressing job at Yonge and Queen Sts. "The streetcar is too busy and the seats are uncomfortable."

The latest proposal comes when the TTC appears to be a victim of its own success. For 2006, ridership is expected to top 437 million — well on its way back to its 1988 peak of 463 million. But fuel costs are also on the rise, its fleet is aging and funding is limited. There is also pressure to service growing neighbourhoods like the Humber Bay area. And this week's provincial budget will have little immediate impact.

The TTC's monopoly doesn't mean all alternative forms of transit are banned.

The city prohibits corporations from charging a direct fee, or fare, for transportation, but makes a wide range of exceptions, including for tour buses, charters that charge a group fee and free shuttle services. Furniture giant Ikea, for example, runs a free shuttle to its store on The Queensway in Etobicoke from the Kipling subway station.

And many condos, including several in the Humber Bay area, offer residents shuttle-bus services as part of their amenity fees, a practice that is allowed. The oldest condo in the area, the Palace Pier, has offered shuttle services to Union Station since 1979.

Promotional material on the Humber Bay Express website describes the bus as a solution to "the rising cost of the TTC; the slow, crowded Queen St. streetcar; difficult access to the subway; expensive taxi fares (an average ride downtown is $25); the cost of gas; limited and expensive downtown parking; environmental concerns — The ultimate carpool."

The express is scheduled to run along the same stretch of Lake Shore Blvd. W. where the TTC has a stop for its busy Queen St. streetcar line. The bus would pick up residents from six waterfront condos, making four weekday morning runs to Union Station beginning at 6:45 a.m., with the last evening bus returning at 6:55 p.m.

The service's proposed launch date, April 1, coincides with a TTC fare increase. The company plans promotional runs Thursday and Friday for $2 a ride.

Attempts to reach Humber Bay Express president Daniel Tatomyr were unsuccessful this week and calls to the company's sales office, set to open today at 2067 Lake Shore Blvd. W., weren't answered. As of yesterday, a letter from Tatomyr to potential clients had been removed from the company's website along with other references to him.

But there is support for the service in the neighbourhood. "Is it going to stop in front of my restaurant?" said Joseph Muscatello, proprietor of Baroli Caffe, at 2083 Lake Shore Blvd. W.

Muscatello drives to work from his home north of the city in Caledon every day. Still, he said, with such a high concentration of first-time homeowners in the area, the Humber Bay Express might appeal to people looking to save on parking and car payments. "I think it's a great idea."

Others say TTC service suits them fine. Scott Knox lives in the Waterford condominium and drives to his job at a Mississauga golf course every day. His live-in girlfriend, meanwhile, takes the streetcar to work downtown at the Hospital for Sick Children. "She has no problem with it," Knox said.

In the meantime, Jim Lord of the condo association is hoping to meet with the TTC again to find another solution to selling 70 passes.

"It's hard to get someone to buy a pass for a bus that's not going."

It is probably worth looking at adding a 14X route like the ones on Eastern Avenue to the Beaches, or Avenue Road. The extra fare is $2 cash, a token or ticket or a $22 sticker for a Metropass - and those buses aren't that busy either.

This is even better news than a new subway; I'm almost doing cartwheels right now!

I'm an ardent supporter of mass transit and transit-oriented planning, and even though I completely rely on its services to get around our city, I loathe the TTC.

I hate their paternalistic attitude; the same one that would stamp out a guy's efforts to celebrate transit by making a funny anagram map. I hate the general lackadaisical attitude of the operators who don't call stops or roll their eyes when a newcomer to the system asks them a question. I hate how they try to justify their rotten service attitude by crying poor.

I hate the lack of choice attributed to government monopolies. This would be stomachable if the TTC were run like the LCBO which has the purchasing power to offer a plethora of choice in well-designed retail stores but with the TTC it's more like having your 30 year-old bus arrive crowded and fifteen minutes late and having the surly driver bark at you to move back. I especially hate the fact that we aren't able to question the TTC. There's something very fascistic about the whole thing. If for no other reason, a private bus operator is needed to whip the TTC into shape.

If the private sector can scout new routes that can be profitable despite a higher price tag than a Metropass, then the TTC lost out to a golden opportunity to turn its finances around. Rather than trying to stop others from embarking on a business opportunity, the TTC should wonder why their planners missed out.

Small companies like these should wait until the next TTC transit strike, and then offer their services to the city. Toronto and Torontonians will then realize the value of small transit companies and demand that the city change its regulations to keep the companies in service.

That's exactly how Hong Kong got these minibuses running around the city. They're sketchy, yet comfortable, fast, reliable and very competitive with the big bus operators.

PLB%20LU3952-big.jpg

One problem I see with this is that private enterprise would naturally only compete with the TTC on the most profitable routes, siphoning off its profits while the TTC is still on the hook for money-losing routes where they'll get no competition.

If the TTC is allowed to run as a business, or gets subsities for unprofitable routes from the government, then adding more private companies to the mix seems fair and beneficial to all.

I don't really like the idea of this company doing a route like that.

But at the same time I hope it makes the TTC wake up and start providing proper service.

TTC has to understand that people want fast service, and not a one hour streetcar ride that would only take 15min on an express bus.

Its about time someone wipped the TTC into shape.

I love the TTC but they are so behind sometimes. The TTC was asked to provide express service to Humber Loop last year, and they turned it down with the same stupid excuse that it would not attract enough "new riders" and would only make the ride more attractive to current riders.

TTC needs a major regig of many of their routes and their planners.

This stance by the TTC makes no sense.

This is a private company offering a transportation service -- no different than any bus company.

If it has an impact on the TTC it will be negligible (but that is meaningless), and unlike the TTC -- it will not be taking subsidies. Those that take it cannot transfer to the TTC. Next they will be going after people that "pay" other people for offering a carpool service.

This is rediculous.

Look at airlines, know why they offer discounts on early and last minute bookings? Because that way they can tap into the entire market, which comprises of anything from people who will spend full price on a ticket, to those who would only pay half price at most. The key here is that airlines cater to the entire market.

Why doesn't the TTC operate the same way? Both GO and ventures like this prove that even people in Toronto are willing to pay big bucks for fast transit. I see nothing wrong with the TTC overlaying a network of shuttles to outlying areas of the city and charging $200 per month. The TTC has lost an entire segment of the population - a segment willing to pay high enough fares to actually turn a profit!!! - because it's unwilling to diversify the service it provides.

Kudos to this company for opening up transit to a new demographic group, and let this be a lesson for the TTC.

One problem I see with this is that private enterprise would naturally only compete with the TTC on the most profitable routes, siphoning off its profits while the TTC is still on the hook for money-losing routes where they'll get no competition.
A TTC route is only unprofitable if there's few or no passengers. If there are few or no passengers, delete the route. Problem solved.

We talked about this matter last year on this board.

At that time, Can-Ar Coach Service was servicing various condos on the Lakeshore and I believe the fare was around $5 - $10 each way with cushion seats and a comfortable ride compare to an Orion VII’s.

The Ratepayers Associations for a number of the condo’s on the Lakeshore presented a request too TTC Commissioners last year asking for Premium Express bus service to/from their area and they were willing to pay $5 each way.

The matter was referred to staff to see if there was a business plan for the requested.

Staff reported back to the Commissioners a month later advising that there was no business plan to put in a premium express services as requested.

The General Manager said something along the lines of “we are in the transit business and therefore we should be carrying riders from this area, not the Private sector and this request should go forward. We should do what we do for all new routes to determine if it meets TTC standards for continuing of service or not. If not then you cancel itâ€. The Commissioners voted down the request by the ratepayers.

TTC drop the ball at that time as I saw a need for it as well staff planning was flaw. I don’t know if TTC had any buses to spare for this service in the first place since they could not deal with the current overcrowding on surface routes in the first place. This could be the reason for turning it down.

Here we are now; almost a year later after the ratepayers request for Premium Express bus service from TTC, where the private sector is willing to step in to fill that request for the public by offering better service to the city core that is faster than the 501 and TTC trying to stop it.

Business case:
Cost to put a bus on the road for this service is $440 per split shift at peak time, at $110 per hour based on 4 hour shift.

Depending on the time of day, one bus should be able to make 2 round trips with a possible of a part 3rd trip.

Buses would operate out of the Queensway garage.

If you charge the riders the $5 per trip as requested, you will need 88 riders going one way, or about 44 riders per trip. This is assuming all riders are working in the city core or has things to do there in the first place. Otherwise, you will need more riders to cover the $440 cost.

If you use the current premium fare of $4 per trip, you need 110 riders or 55 per bus. This is assuming all riders are working in the city core or has things to do there in the first place. Otherwise, you will need more riders to cover the $440 cost.

Now, when was it that TTC had a 100% recovery ratio for a route in the first place as well making a profit on it? .......................Before my time, but some where in the 60’s.

What is the lowest recovery ratio for a route before service is cancel? ..........24%

Now, if TTC setup a route where the returning trip is pickup riders going the opposite directions, can it find customers paying regular fare to beef up the cost ratio? .....................TTC will have a better chance at PM peak time for picking up riders going in the opposite direction, especially during the summer months if you put a couple stops in along the Lakeshore.

Route:
AM
Start at Royal York Rd and then travel east along the Lakeshore Blvd making your various stops for the Condo’s and continues east. The bus could then either turn north at Bathurst St or Bay St. Then travel along Front St. and stopping at the subway stairs at Union Station.

For the return trip without trying to pickup riders would be by Yonge St and then the Gardiner Expressway to the Lakeshore cut off.

If trying to pickup riders for return trip, you need to go up to Queen St by the way of Church St and then down Spadina to the Gardiner

PM
Return trip from Toronto for pm peak time would start at Union Station by Yonge St and then the Lakeshore Blvd.

The return trip back to Toronto would be the am trip route with a stop at Parkdale Dr and Bathurst St.

Service:
In the beginning, service would be every 30 minutes starting with a 7.00 am trip going east and 4.30 pm going west.

Case close:

The service is pegged to cost $199.99 for a month's pass by Humber Bay Express. This is $99 higher than a metro pass and that would work out to be $5 a trip based on 20 trips a month.

If TTC is unwilling to change its attitude and remove the blindfolds, then the private will make attempts to provide better services in Toronto. At the same time, private companies overhead will be lower as well their operating cost. It will also keep people in their cars.

Good reason for the GTTA.

One think to keep in mind, TTC asked for funds to cover the cost of an EA study for the Wasterfront Western Extension in 2006 and I have no idea if it still in the budget at this time.

It will be some where between 2010-15 before it gets built.

So until that happens, there is a need for this service even if it is regular fare.

I don't see why these people don't simply put together some kind of a cab-sharing system.

Stick 5 people into the larger minivan cabs and you can reach the same target with a lower obligation (no monthly pass requirement).

We don't need cabs. We need a transit system that is going to wake up and start providing proper service to key areas in this city that lack quality rapid transit.

The TTC just does not want to budge when it comes to trying out different kinds of bus routes.

I say if the TTC does not start providing a Humber Bay Express, then there should be a call for them to cancel the Central Toronto express bus routes to Avenue Road and Mount Pleasent.

Why would they cancel those routes? I haven't seen the stats - do they have low ridership?

I have taken the 142 twice (it's a fun route). Ridership is light - perhaps only half the seats are used on the 5:00 PM run, with no turnover.

Back