2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 803     0 

is racism common in Toronto?

I consider it racist.

So a poor white person calling Obama a racist slur is not racist then?[[..]
The term is racist not because of the white man. Instead it's racist due to the oppressive reality behind the word. I am not so surprised that, even after MLK came (and got gunned down), this is still not well understood. Many Blacks in US agree and not even bother continuing such a discussion.

Saying that. individuals should not be the main point of racism. To emphasizes that makes the phenomena downright irrelevant. People may always hate others for irrational reasons, but institution of racism is far from "natural". Canada's development, just as the United States (or Israel for that matter) were and still are quite racist.

You just need to go to the reserves and see that. The impact that ideology, outside of those concentration camps, has severely compromised equity in employment and elsewhere. This I emphasized several times, with controls. You have Blacks, Native and other "Racialized", Canadian-born, university graduates not being treated equally in various spheres in life. One can control immigration status, their accent, their smell?, and it still remains.

I've posted the excerpts in the past:
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=10337&page=17

In my experience, different racialized Canadian groups understand "racism" and define "racist" differently. However, there are those who expect that other people view things the same way as they do.

So you're saying that if someone who wasn't in a position of power got up and said that some ethnic group was stupid and should be deported, it's not racist?

I don't understand the logic behind that one. And I still think most racism comes from ethnic communities.

Which communities are not ethnic? Are they filled with people who lack ethnicity?

I don't believe in the ideal that one race is superior to another, i believe all men are created equal, but this documentary opened my eyes.... i'm not a racist.

A Conversation About Race
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...fS7fHlAw&q=craig+bodeker&hl=en&client=safari#
That's an entertaining video, and a lot of people make idiots of themselves there. I guess that's who you get when you post on Craigslist for a movie about stopping racism. Lots of people with a persecution complex, and guilt-filled delusional types.

Surely if someone consistently says inappropriate comments of a racial manner, then they are a racist. I don't see why one would want to brush over such utter evil.

i am not sure that i would label the consistent delivery of "inappropriate comments" as utter evil.

Which communities are not ethnic? Are they filled with people who lack ethnicity?
Some would say that people whose families have been in Canada for many generations and have lost all sense of their original European ethnicity now have a Canadian ethnicity. And others would say that, strictly speaking, there's no such thing as a Canadian ethnicity.

Of course it's racist and bigoted. It's disgusting and vile, and those that justify such practices should be ashamed of themselves, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Assuming most people who express such views do so in the privacy of their own homes (which is probably true), how do you propose to prosecute them? 24 hour surveillance in every living room?

i am not sure that i would label the consistent delivery of "inappropriate comments" as utter evil.
Of a racial nature? I think racists are evil. It's only a few steps from making racial slurs to concentration camps.

Assuming most people who express such views do so in the privacy of their own homes (which is probably true), how do you propose to prosecute them? 24 hour surveillance in every living room?
I said they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. As I'm not aware of any law under which one could prosecute someone who makes such verbal comments in their own home then obviously I wasn't referring to prosecuting people for this. People should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law ... the operative word here is "law".

Last edited:
It's only a few steps from making racial slurs to concentration camps.

given that nearly every human being who has ever lived has probably uttered some slur or other, and that concentration camps remain a rare enough element in the human landscape to be shocking, i'd say those are pretty big steps.

given that nearly every human being who has ever lived has probably uttered some slur or other, and that concentration camps remain a rare enough element in the human landscape to be shocking, i'd say those are pretty big steps.
Why take what I said out of context? I didn't say a few slurs, I said someone who consistently makes racial slurs.

Personally, I've never met anyone who consistently makes racial slurs ... not in this country anyway. I have however, met people who had been forced to live in concentration camps!

It's up to the mods to police a forum where virtually everyone is using an alias and posting anonymously.

Unless people are openly plotting to commit a major crime (and who would?), enacting some sort of investigative task force to hunt down every person making an "offensive" anonymous on-line comment is a waste of resources.

Back