News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 787     0 

is racism common in Toronto?

I think there is a difference between being racist and being sterotypical. i do apologize if this has already been discussed. Most of us if not all are stereotypical.

When you stereotype it is making a generalization on a culture, like most indians are taxi cab drivers, chinese women don't know how to drive, italian men are mamas boy who will work in construction, and so forth.

Racism is when you actually HATE a culture or don't think they deserve to be equal to you, which i don't see too much in toronto. I sometimes think the worst case of racism stems from within individual cultures themself.

When someone branches out from the stereotypical view of one culture they are looked down upon by that culture more than by society.

agreed completely

Would it be justified if a trucking company boss refused to hire a Chinese woman simply because he "knows" that Chinese women cannot drive? .

from my experiences, it's south asians regardless of sex, and women in general who have the tendency to be talking on a cellphone while driving.

^^^ I've never heard that one before, and haven't noticed that myself. In my experience, up until October, it was just about everyone (myself included) that talked on their cellphones while driving, and no I'm not South Asian or a woman.

P.S. I just saw a cop yesterday driving while on his cell phone. No, not a CB or whatever you call it, but a cellphone. Oh and he wasn't South Asian either, or a woman. ;)

Which reminds me... I need to go shopping for a new Bluetooth headset today, as the battery is dead in my current one.

This talk is getting crazy. Almost EVERYONE talks on their cell phone while driving, well, everyone I know, at least. It doesn't matter what gender or race they are. I'm surprised this thread is so active. I wouldn't think this one would have legs, since Toronto is probably the least racist city on the planet. (As far as I'm concerned)

^Oh come on, you completely ignore the fact that hundreds of 'redneck' students from the same town came out in support of the victim.

Georgina faces some ugly truths
In the wake of a much-publicized string of attacks on Asian fishermen, a community was forced to face its demons. Now, the focus is on healing

http://www.thestar.com/article/439098
"In late October, two men strung up a black-painted skeleton from a noose at the end of their yard in Keswick. The life-size dummy dangled from a flagpole beneath an oversized Confederate flag. It hung there for several weeks until a police officer noticed, said York Police Chief Armand La Barge."

To be fair... I strung up an almost life-sized white skeleton from a tree in my front yard in Toronto in late October, too. ...for Halloween of course.

No confederate flag though...

Keswick and Georgina are not part of Toronto from a cultural standpoint. It's a mutual understanding between the two communities.

Torontonians travel to Keswick to ice fish. Keswickians travel to Toronto to fight their third D.U.I. charge at Old City Hall court house. "You see your worship, I wasn't driving, I was snowmobiling. And I wasn't drunk, I was on meth."

Methinks that valkaholic doesn't think much of Keswickians and Georginians...

I do applaud the Keswickian kids for defending that kid that was charged though, assuming the accounts are relatively accurate.

Yes, clearly valcoholic is open-minded and tolerant, and doesn't jump to facile stereotypes or blanket generalizations.

racism is not based on steretypes but it is based on hatred which is taught. i think the two are completely different.

I make a lot of stereotypical comments to my friends all the time, as they do to me. Its funny to laugh at yourself and not take things too serious all the time.

We are such a tightly wound up society that has to watch everyhting we say.......LAUGH AT YOURSELF and the culture traditions you bring into this world

Racism and stereotypes are intertwined. Your example isn't really relevant because you're interacting with friends. If you made the same stereotypical comments to strangers, I'm sure they'd take offense.

I don't think it is fair to paint an entire community as racist on the basis of the action of a few - that said, the blatantness of the incidents reports requires a strong response, not tepid statements of regrets.

Stereotypes are regrettable but relatively benign at an individual level so long as the effects are contolled - the moment these stereotypes became systematic it leads to racism. And if one thinks that Toronto is somehow immune - they should think again. Just because it is difficult to be overtly racist doesn't mean the sentiments aren't there.

mspir:

ones who came later dictate how to live to ones who came earlier

Which "ones" are you referring to? Newcomers to Canada "dictating" those who come earlier; or settlers of Canada "dictating" to First Nations?

AoD

Last edited:

Back