News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 554     0 

Irish Couple Moving to Toronto.. Any advice?

Everyone: I felt that this would be an appropriate time to ask if there is are communities of recent-years Irish immigrant enclaves like there is here in the NYC area? One that comes to mind is Woodside,Queens. As I am of Irish descent myself it interests me.

Although Toronto was one of the biggest Irish immigration centers in the 19th century, they seem to have completely "melted."

Although Toronto was one of the biggest Irish immigration centers in the 19th century, they seem to have completely "melted."

I assume you mean they've been Canadianized? If all the Irish in Toronto melted, the streets would be filled with sticky irish creme no doubt.

I was wondering which part of Ireland you were from-which County? You mention an airport nearby-Shannon or Dublin? I myself have thought of going over there and looking up my ancestors-who were originally from County Monaghan-and people I know have even mentioned since I am single-"How about going to Ireland,settling down and finding yourself a wife?" Good thought-for this 5th generation descendant in the USA. Some info on cities like Dublin would always be welcome-and if Northern Ireland would be as good as the Republic.

Hi Mike.

I live in Limerick City. It's on the mid west coast of Ireland, right next to Shannon airport. You should definitely come over and research your relatives. I'm sure if you head to Monaghan and ask around about the surname you won't be long tracking down someone who knows someone.. who knows someone.. etc! I've never actually been to Monaghan myself.

With regard to coming to Ireland looking for a wife.. I would highly recommend it! I for one have loads of single friends who would be more than happy to play tour-guide to a rich good-lookin' yank! (For the purposes of getting tour guide volunteers we will be playing up the rich and good-looking part). :D

If you were thinking of coming over I would recommend just renting a car and driving around for a couple of weeks. Ireland is so small that you could actually drive around and see most of the country quite comfortably. Dublin is a cool city, but it is pretty much like any other big European city at this stage. We have had a lot of immigration in recent years and so now Dublin (like most of the other major cities) is a very multicultural place. This is a good thing, since the Irish have had to immigrate in the past for a better life, it's nice that we now have an attractive enough economy that people would actually want to come here! I suppose the point is if you want to see the 'real' Ireland, you would need to get out of the cities and out into the countryside.
I've never really spent much time in the North. I hear Belfast is a really cool city to go out in, and has a really vibrant night-life etc. It's now an incredibly safe city, the troubles in the North are in the main a thing of the past, so it means that you could very safely travel around the six counties!
If you ever decide to take a trip let me know, and I could give you some more detail on places etc!

Be sure to visit Ireland Park, which was opened last year by Mary McAleese, when you're on the waterfront. It is located close to where immigrants from the Irish famine landed in 1847 and has a series of sculptures by Rowan Gillespie. Then go and have a nice meal somewhere!

http://www.irelandparkfoundation.com/index.php?p=1_2

Thanks for this! We'll will definetly go and check this out! :)

Guys, I have another question.. if you're not all sick of me already!
I'm in the process of booking a cheap hotel/hostel for our first couple of weeks. Can I ask what website you guys would book a canadian hotel through. Any website I usually use, Irish/Uk based is quite expensive and doesn't seem to be passing the benefits of the exchange rate on. I was thinking if we booked through a canadian site we would get the benefit of the strong euro..
Any one have any ideas?

I would look at Craigslist's vacation rentals and see how much a bachelor apartment goes for per night. Request a photo ahead of time.

In my experience they're as cheap as youth hostels and much more homey. The fact that the toilet seat isn't drenched in pee is also a big plus.

There's a gay Facebook group on this forum, with about 25 members. We get together quite often, so when you arrive let us know and we can meet if you like.

Hi Urban Shocker,

We're finally here!
How do I go about joining the gay Facebook?

seem to have missed this thread first time round but welcome anyway :) Not from Limerick but I did spend four years in Stalag Castletroy :D

If you're looking to meet Irish folks generally, the Galway Arms in Etobicoke is a good start if for no other reason than they show GAA championship matches. Depending on what time I wake up in the morning I may make it out to the burbs to watch Cork give Kerry a sound thrashing :)

Downtown you'll find some folks at PJ O'Brien's and there's trad sessions at Dora Keogh's but can't speak from personal experience of the latter which is weird since I live only a few subway stops away...

Yes, whatever Darkstar said ...

Welcome! Ten of us from our intrepid little group spent yesterday at "the Ex" ( just part of the never ending social whirl that you're being drawn into ) and had a gay old time.

Unfortunately, the best Irish clothing shop in Canada ( The Irish Shop on Bloor Street ) just closed down after 37 years. I hope you've brought a good supply of tweeds with you?

Cheers, US.

due respect Urban

having visited that shop during a last burst of christmas shopping last year, my impression was as much twee as tweed :)

Though if you tiptoed through the twee you could sometimes find things that worked. I bought a fisherman's smock thing ( fisherman not included ) that does. I'll have to buy my Gleneske grandfather shirts online now, though.

Back