News   May 10, 2024
 531     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 397     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 472     0 

International Herald Tribune on Toronto

Many foreign investors buy luxury properties in neighborhoods like Yorkville, with its high rises, and Forest Hill and Rosedale, which has 19th-century mansions and is five minutes by car from the city's midtown. In these areas, costs have reached 3,000 dollars, or $2,390,per square foot, yet the average price for high-end homes is less than a third of that.

really!? In Toronto? wow.

now, i'm confused by how they define "high-end" homes. Majority of the condos today are marketed as "high-end" luxury homes and they are no where near $3000/sqft or a third of that.

Last edited:
100,000 new condo units have been built in the city over the last decade, with more than a total of 40,000 new units sold in 2007 and 2008, the peak years of intensification.

The explosion beginning in 1996 has spread throughout greater Toronto but is most concentrated in the downtown core, drawing an additional 250,000 residents

Wow 2.5 persons per average 600sq. ft. condo. Puts the dense in density.

I assumed that meant industrial jobs. Obviously, Ontario has a lot more than 121k jobs.
A lot more industrial jobs too. 464,000 at the last census actually. Ontario did lose 70,000 jobs in January though, in all sectors.

On the bright side, the article has a nice aerial shot of the city.

A lot more industrial jobs too. 464,000 at the last census actually. Ontario did lose 70,000 jobs in January though, in all sectors.

On the bright side, the article has a nice aerial shot of the city.

Yeah, and not one from 1985 with FCP standing alone and the CN towers surrounded by railyards. Seriously, you don't know what to expect when they print a story about Toronto.

It always amazes me how many factual inaccuracies I count when I read articles about Toronto in otherwise respectable international publications.

What's sloppy is that you are honing in on a typo in one sentence.

The most interesting part of the story is the last few lines, about how the city may emerge from the global meltdown with a different identity.

Yes, in a country that is so desperate for immigrants we tend to take anybody regardless of how little they are willing to assimilate here and dedicate their lives to Canada. As we see though, so many aren't and only come here for the generous benefits on offer without any demands in return. This is Multiculturalism, and does define new waves of immigration vs older pre-Multiculturalism waves of immigration where people actively sought what Canada demanded of them.

I'm always amazed at how seemingly easily these 'undedicated' new-commers manage to get here and in such numbers! My American partner had such a long and difficult time of the immigration process, and he is married to a born Canadian!

^Well, the immigrants portrayed in this article are multimillionaires who invest a hefty wad of change in the Canadian economy, while generally asking very little from it in the form of social services. I don't think the government really cares if they don't enjoy potluck with Bob and Nancy or spend their Saturday mornings at Tim Hortons reading the Hockey News (or whatever shallow notion passes for assimilation).

Yes, in a country that is so desperate for immigrants we tend to take anybody regardless of how little they are willing to assimilate here and dedicate their lives to Canada. As we see though, so many aren't and only come here for the generous benefits on offer without any demands in return. This is Multiculturalism, and does define new waves of immigration vs older pre-Multiculturalism waves of immigration where people actively sought what Canada demanded of them.

I'm always amazed at how seemingly easily these 'undedicated' new-commers manage to get here and in such numbers! My American partner had such a long and difficult time of the immigration process, and he is married to a born Canadian!

^feels xenophobic to me, anyone else? Toronto's openness and tolerance is its core strength. Let's embrace it shall we?

Slightly scattered piece (MR. Renwick) but nice photo indeed.

Nice work TO folks! We're only down 15% from the peak!

Back