1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Integral House (James Stewart, 4s, Shim Sutcliffe) COMPLETE

shinsut5.jpg
[/URL][/img]

If the treads don't light up in different colours as you step on them - accompanied by a spooky rising or falling scale on the organ as you ascend or descend - it isn't really a home, as far as I'm concerned.

If the treads don't light up in different colours as you step on them - accompanied by a spooky rising or falling scale on the organ as you ascend or descend - it isn't really a home, as far as I'm concerned.

If this were Tom Hanks' home, that would be a safe bet. (Big)

The house is a masterpiece of contemporary residential design, and it's good to see it get continued attention. I hope that the level of detail and originality of the composition, with its sweeping curves inspires those who see it. It can be frustrating to see a house with a multi-million dollar construction budget which only yielded a glass box with high-end but generic mass-produced finishes and fixtures. Here we see innovation and superlative attention to detail. It's those unexpected details in terms of fixtures and practical elements like artist-designed door handles that can make a project a sublime design experience that's so rare in modern architecture because even elite projects often don't display any consciousness of that potential. There are opportunities to get artists involved in the functional elements of a building like lighting and doors which can really take the design of the house to a higher level.

Last edited:
I wonder what his will states about the house. Who's it going to be left to, if anyone? Someone might buy it and turn it into a Marilyn McMansion.

Under-appreciated? They are one of the more recognized local small practices!

Edit: On UrbanToronto they go largely unnoticed because they do smaller-scale projects. In architecture circles, they are known and respected both locally and internationally.

Last edited:
Under-appreciated? They are one of the more recognized local small practices!

Edit: On UrbanToronto they go largely unnoticed because they do smaller, finely crafted projects, and do not have tall buildings in their portfolio. But in architecture circles, they are known and respected both locally and internationally.

I think the average person is even less aware of their works (which are predominantly single-detached residential) than some of the better known Toronto firms precisely for the reason you've stated. I wish their pleasure is more accessible for more people as users.

AoD

Don't forget that a lot of people are architecture fanatics who drool over the smaller projects. A lot of my professors (even those who practice) and my peers in architecture school know the names of firms like Shim-Sutcliffe but are far less familiar with the work of architectsAlliance, B+H, etc. I would imagine that extends to the greater public who read about detached-house projects and are most enthused about that typology, just as there are architecture fanatics/hobbyists who are more interested in large-scale or public buildings.

Last edited:
But that's what I mean, I wish they can tackle large scale, multi-story/unit residential so that it isn't the uber-rich or well-connected would have to pleasure of living in structures they designed.

AoD

I wish they can tackle large scale, multi-story/unit residential so that it isn't the uber-rich or well-connected would have to pleasure of living in structures they designed.

AoD

Many times, great "house" architects have an oeuvre that simply doesn't easily translate into larger scale projects (especially highrise towers). FLW, Neutra, Niemeyer, Lautner, Jaffe. I get the feeling Shim-Sutcliffe is one of these architectural firms that prefers the intimate details of single family dwellings (as well as the per square foot budgets that come with those kind of commissions). I worked on Integral House...you couldn't realistically translate the project ethics to a condo building.

Many times, great "house" architects have an oeuvre that simply doesn't easily translate into larger scale projects (especially highrise towers). FLW, Neutra, Niemeyer, Lautner, Jaffe. I get the feeling Shim-Sutcliffe is one of these architectural firms that prefers the intimate details of single family dwellings (as well as the per square foot budgets that come with those kind of commissions). I worked on Integral House...you couldn't realistically translate the project ethics to a condo building.

That's my read too, but since they do do institutional, it is an area they can potentially expand on. It's truly a waste not to. Not expecting Integral House level of exuberance - even Sis of St. Joe's is sufficient.

AoD

Back