News   Jul 11, 2024
 296     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 529     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 641     1 

Inoffensive above-ground parking garages

Just came across this new one in Santa Monica.

leedgarage1.jpg

leedgarage2.jpg

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/04/14/first-leed-certified-parking-garage/

wow, once again Toronto falls terribly short of the mark.

I dont mind the one at the base of Church Street, south of The Esplanade. It has 5 levels with co-op / public housing units above. Its my favourite place to park when I visit the city...

^ Might be a nice place to park but its quite the eyesore when walking down Church Street.

I like the one that on the south side of Queen across from St Michael's Hospital. It has retail on Queen with the Toronto Parking Authority offices above hiding the lot for the most part from Queen.

wow, once again Toronto falls terribly short of the mark.

I dont mind the one at the base of Church Street, south of The Esplanade. It has 5 levels with co-op / public housing units above. Its my favourite place to park when I visit the city...

Here's a wet blanket for ya

55 THE ESPLANADE: Few buildings in Toronto are as depressing as this behemoth.

Sitting like some giant concrete bunker south of the Esplanade and north of the railway tracks, here's a mixed-used project that might have seemed like a good idea at the time – combining residential and parking – but which went all wrong in the doing.

Architecturally, the less said the better. With five floors of residential plunked on top of a four-storey parking garage, it looks like a brick box stacked on a concrete box.

The only part of the complex that has anything to recommend it is a second parking garage that stretches east to Jarvis.

It, at least, has the virtue of a few architectural details such as the arches that extend along the top floor. By contrast, the garage at 55 is so raw and minimal, it might as well be unfinished.

To make matters worse, the site is divided east/west by a laneway. It separates the entrance to the residential slab from the residential slab itself. The former is a tall thin tower connected to the latter by a series of bridges.

Its main purpose seems to be to save residents the humiliation of having to cross the laneway and the garbage bins that clog it.

Then, of course, there's the larger issue of how the complex effectively blocks all future access to the waterfront.

True, the railway embankment is already a barrier, but we could have tunnelled beneath it.

Its location at the foot of Church St. means the building functions as one huge obstacle.

We could have had a lively, pedestrian friendly thoroughfare linking the thriving east downtown north of the tracks with the East Bayfront area on the lake. No matter how you look at it, this building is in the way.

GRADE: D

I find the one at the foot of Church to be a rather unfortunate blight upon the city. It's high time that the surface lot right in front of it got developed too.

As for inoffensive above ground garages, I think the one at St. Joseph's hospital on the Queensway qualifies.

Since things had shifted towards the aesthetically inoffensive, here's one on Yonge which I found interesting:

I don't recall where exactly it's located, or whether it looks as good as in the photo, which shows only a part of the structure. It seems to have potential though.

Is that the apartment building on the north-east side of Yonge and College? I can't tell for sure, but it seems familiar.

yep - Yonge and Carlton... Ive seen that photo before on Flickr, it was taken during the Pride Parade... (not that there's anything wrong with that - any Seinfeld fans?)

as for the Church St garage, part of its inoffensiveness is that its mostly blocked from view on all sides except the main entrance.

yep - Yonge and Carlton... Ive seen that photo before on Flickr, it was taken during the Pride Parade... (not that there's anything wrong with that - any Seinfeld fans?)

Unfortunately, I believe 2 Carlton's landlords have now taken on a "no Pride spectators" policy, while using a big chunk of garage frontage for H&M banner ads...

is the roundhouse park parking lot above ground? i dunno. the park is pretty high, but i've never used the lot myself.

I hope Casa's above ground parking will be considered "innoffensive"...

(Except probably for the folks in the CAS building to the south who will have to stare at its back end)

Back