News   Jul 11, 2024
 529     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 641     1 

Inoffensive above-ground parking garages

Spoonman

Member Bio
Reaction score
... or perhaps even decent ones. Post your picks.

The obvious pick for me (since I pass by it twice a day) is the parking garage on Hayden/Charles just east of Yonge. Although it doesn't compeletely disguise its primary function, it nonetheless blends in rather nicely with the surrounding buildings. Not only is it easy on the eyes with the modestly ornamental metallic doodads on its facade, but it gives back to the street with a healthy selection of small retail (some of which I've taken advantage of, such as the barber, and dry-cleaners, the little breakfast place and the vegan restaurant), a well-lit and non-hostile pedestrian walkway, and minimal space devoted to the vehicular entry/exit. In fact, it meets the street much better than a handful of condos I can name on Bay Street. Although underground parking is of course ideal, this project should certainly be used as a model for future above-ground parking garages wherever they're necessary, or else conversions of existing garages.

charles_hayden_walkway.jpg

Any other ones people know about?

Mississauga has guidelines builders have to follow when designing new parking garages regarding how they meet the street. Square One's South Eastern garages are the best examples. Their street fronts are designed to look like a retail strip. I believe there are also provisions to allow it to be converted to retail in the future too.

The garage off Baldwin in Kensington has always been a "contextual" exemplar, even before it got its 90s makeover w/rooftop signage, etc...

Sorry to take this out of Toronto, but here are two (one questionable) above ground parking structures I don't mind.

Waterloo Uptown Parkade
from flar's Uptown Waterloo thread
00039.jpg

00009.jpg

Marina City, Chicago. Some might find this offensive, but I like it.
DSC02739.jpg

There is a Chinese commercial building on Finch Avenue, just west of Midland in Scarborough. There is a small indoor retail area at street level, and some office floors at the top. Sandwiched between the two are parking levels, but from the outside, the parking levels look exactly the same as the office floors, complete with glass windows.

Also, for above-ground parking discretion, it's hard to beat the second floor of Peter Dickinson's Continental Can at 790 Bay (past locale of Dominion Modern exhibits, etc)

There is something I find really slick and futuristic about some Chicago parking garages.

52474347_ad9b12b9c2.jpg

The problem with the Waterloo one is that the ground floor of the garage is parking rather than some sort of retail (you can see straight into the lot from the street). This is unfortunate because it's right in front of a main transit stop in Uptown.

Another suburban Chinese example... New Century Plaza near Warden and Steeles (just east of IBM). It's a one storey shopping mall/dim sum restaurant with a food court in the basement, with two floors of parking above it. Like my previous example, the parking above is hidden pretty nicely.

new-century.JPG

Back