News   Jul 25, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 522     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 455     0 

Infrastructure problems? Investors can pave the way (Globe)

Mike in TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Infrastructure problems? Investors can pave the way
DEREK DeCLOET

Globe & Mail

November 24, 2007

Few great economic ideas ever seem to come from France. Its growth is languid. It has the highest unemployment rate in the G7 except for Germany. Raw-meat capitalists have little to learn from a nation of union lovers, subsidy-dependent farmers and cheese eaters. Until they get on the Autoroute system, that is, a 12,000-kilometre network of freeways via which you can zip around the country, legally, at 130 km/h. It's not cheap, and the six-hour jaunt from Paris to Aix-en-Provence, lovely though it is, can quickly empty your wallet of euros. In the land of liberté, égalité, fraternité, the user's the one who pays.

Toll highways are big business in France. One of the largest operators, Vinci SA, last year raked in €4-billion ($5.9-billion) in revenue from running French toll roads, bridges, parking lots, airports and tunnels. It just took over full control of Autoroutes du Sud de la France, a highway network in the south in which the French government had been a partner. No one is overly fussed by this. You want great highways? Send the bill to the drivers, the French say. That's how a mature, grown-up country does it.

Here's how an immature country does it. The provinces bitch at the feds. The mayors complain to the provinces and the feds. The federal finance minister squawks back at the mayors, accuses them of whining and declares that he's "not in the pothole business." Everyone bickers while the roads crumble. That's the way we do it in Canada.

This week, the Federation of Canadian Municipalities scored a few headlines with an alarmist report on the state of roads, water pipes and other plumbing local governments take care of. The report's subtitle ("The coming collapse of Canada's municipal infrastructure") tells you all you need to know. The pleas of poverty begin on page 2 with claims of a $123-billion infrastructure "deficit" - the amount the municipalities need to fix things up. About $45-billion of this is for roads and transit.

The huge numbers are designed to grab attention. If you borrowed $123-billion at 6 per cent, the interest alone would equal $224 for every man, woman and child in Canada, every year. The municipalities' answer is (surprise) to get Ottawa to pay, since it's the one sitting on a monster surplus. The feds' vaunted $33-billion infrastructure plan isn't enough to satisfy them. You wonder what would.

David Miller, the mayor of Toronto, wants a penny of the GST. Now there's every politician's fantasy: Someone else collects the tax while you get to spend the money. Keep dreaming, David. Toronto has a particular grievance in that it owns a very old and very expensive elevated highway, the Gardiner Expressway, the major route into downtown. Traffic figures suggest about 90,000 people use it to get into the city on an average day, with maybe another 30,000 using Lake Shore Boulevard that runs underneath it. Charge $3 a pop, you're talking $130-million in annual revenue. Call it $90-million if you wish to be conservative. Will the city do it? Uh, no, because people would just clog up other city streets to get downtown, says the mayor's spokesman. Oh, really. Which ones?

Real cities find a way around these objections. London has a congestion charge. Singapore has had electronic tolls for nearly a decade. Oslo does it. Stockholm is doing it, too. In the U.S., you'll find tolls all over the Interstate system. You can put tolls on public roads or you can use them to entice private pension money - and there is a ton of it - to build new roads for you and fill that so-called "infrastructure deficit." All it takes is some imagination. But attempts to bring in user-pay are inevitably politicized. Highway 407, which runs north of Toronto, is a great highway (it was privatized too cheaply by the previous provincial Tory government). Users like it; the number of daily trips is up 20 per cent in four years. Yet when the Liberals took office four years ago, the first thing they did was launch a legal fight against the 407's owners to try to force them to roll back fees (it didn't work). Before that, Bernard Lord got elected premier of New Brunswick in part on the strength of a promise to abolish tolls on a stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway that had been built in a public-private partnership.

It's fair to ask, if the public needs the roads, and no level of government wants to fund the roads, yet institutional investors with billions are willing to build the roads, why politicians won't just let them. So Ottawa's not "in the pothole business?" Fine. But somebody's got to be. This is not a radical concept: Use private money, and make the user pay.

Infrastructure does not just equate to roads. Beyond that, try charging the full price of operating a mass transit system in an urban area without the density to support it, I'd bet you the result will be anything but mass. In addition, the author of the piece completely ignored the point that oftentimes infrastructure is a public good.

AoD

The France bashing makes me want to throw up, even though he seems to be making fun of it. Here's a guy who would write column after column bemoaning Canada's poor labour productivity. What's the solution? Why, be just like the United States, of course. But wait! Look here! France's labour productivity is far higher than that of the United States, or England, or any of those other free market utopias.

He's absolutely right about the highway solution, though.

I didn't get that he was France-bashing. I think he was using our old stereotyped view of France to bounce his own point of view off. His own view pretty clearly seems to be a bit different.

Many advanced countries have privatized infrastructure, particularly water systems, toll highways, and airports. They make excellent investments for pension plans, with long-term cash flows which will tend to hold up during all economic conditions. Within the past few days the Canada Pension Plan has made a bid to take over the airport in Auckland, New Zealand, for instance.

The new tabloid called Maclean's had an article bemoaning our poor labour productivity, with the kicker being that "We're even worse than France!" Of course, they neglect to mention that France's productivity is the highest in the world and far higher than the United States, even though they suggest emulating the United States as the only route to improvement.

David Miller, the mayor of Toronto, wants a penny of the GST. Now there's every politician's fantasy: Someone else collects the tax while you get to spend the money.

A lot of that surplus is thanks to governments dumping their responsibilities on the next level of government down. Since the buck stops at the municipal level, a cent might be nice start. Put another way, what exactly would happen to that huge surplus if Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver finally said "that's enough of that" and pulled out of this country? You want to see some major bills, try forcing us to stay in when we've had enough. Sharing some of that gold you're sitting on might be a cheaper solution.

Traffic figures suggest about 90,000 people use it to get into the city on an average day, with maybe another 30,000 using Lake Shore Boulevard that runs underneath it. Charge $3 a pop, you're talking $130-million in annual revenue.

Charge $3 a pop, and that's what you'll make from each business pulling out to Mississauga and Vaughan. They're not going to pay the freight for that in higher wages and distribution costs; attrition rates from people quitting (a thousand-dollar-a-year tax for crossing the Rouge; bullsh!t; find a job on your own side and spend a week in Orlando instead). That's nothing more than a secondary business tax hike; $130 million a year out of THEIR pockets.

because people would just clog up other city streets to get downtown, says the mayor's spokesman. Oh, really. Which ones?

All the ones who don't have a choice cause they haven't found a job OUTSIDE the downtown core yet, like I did. Make them pay for the privilege on top of what a pain in the ass it is and watch how fast they get motivated on Monster.

Getting some of OUR OWN MONEY back from Ottawa strikes me as a much better — and fairer! — idea than treating 905ers like serfs.

That's why you toll all the highways, not just the Gardiner.

Although tolls are a regressive form of taxation, their educational function (i.e. teaching people that driving isn't free) makes for a strong pro-toll argument. I still, however, don't see a persuasive argument for infrastructure privatization. To me, the only difference between public and private ownership is the private-sector's profit margin. Isn't that wasteful?

To me, the only difference between public and private ownership is the private-sector's profit margin. Isn't that wasteful?

No, it isn't. Do you think profits just disappear into nothingness once the suits get their hands on them? They're usually reinvested into another venture (in this case, say road improvements, or making new roads to toll, e.g., the 407).
Were private profits wasteful and public spending not wasteful, you'd see most wealth and innovation coming from the public sector, which i believe not to be the case.

Yes, roads should probably be tolled. The 407 has been a great success, it's too bad we pretty much gave it away. I hope the province will have learned its lesson next time such a thing comes up.

No, it isn't. Do you think profits just disappear into nothingness once the suits get their hands on them?

I don't know about "nothingness", but I think profits are dividended out to offshore jurisdictions (I'm half-joking about that; previously 66-2/3% joking) or they're invested into more profit-making activities. My point, though, is that private infrastructure automatically requires a 15% premium above cost in order to justify the private entity's participation.

The regressivity of tolling isn't that important. We already have a mechanism to ameliorate that kind of thing in Canada: the GST rebate for low income earners. As with the GST rebate, it oughtn't be based on actual spending on tolls, but rather some expected value, which people can then choose to spend on tolls or other, more useful things.

I always thought 3 or more people in a car and highways could be toll-free. You choose not to carpool and you pay. This would work I think, be good for the environment and infrastructure revenues. When I was working in Oakville I was carpooling with 4 people, and we'd get stuck in traffic surrounded by cars with single riders in them. Weekends the tolls could be lifted.

Back