News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

In light of Rob Ford - ideas to make Toronto better that would be practically free

More fun. Keep stuff open later. Do more Nuit Blanche-esque things that keep people out all night.

Seconded.

As for the Sunnyside Beach idea, I whole heartedly agree, and I've had the idea (when money is in greater supply) of having a major swimming pool built there by reclaiming it from the lake, building both a longer beach around it and a bridge over Lake Shore, the Queensway and the Gardiner. High Park could be improved, too.

And the idea of harmonizing the fees and hours of operation of the rec centers is so obvious its amazing nobody has done this. Keep all of them open until 10 or 11 pm on the weekends, and install lights at outdoor pools to allow them to stay open late during the summer. And do harmonize the costs of this. You might even shave some of the administration costs off here, too.

I know at least six neighbours who have pet birds. A parrot is no better than a chicken, though likely chewier.

I think they shoudl limit the amount of chickens to perhaps 2 or 3, but with minimum yard size. There are homes with literally 20 feet of back yard or less, which I don't think would be appropriate and considerate for your neighbours.

My question is, what would you do in the winter time? bring them indoors?

bit of a disaster.

Last edited:
I think they shoudl limit the amount of chickens to perhaps 2 or 3, but with minimum yard size. There are homes with literally 20 feet of back yard or less, which I don't think would be appropriate and considerate for your neighbours.

My question is, what would you do in the winter time? bring them indoors?

bit of a disaster.

Not really. Chickens tolerate cold weather, though egg production drops. There are a number of ways of keeping the hen house warm.

In January I started a similar thread about posting ideas to make Toronto better. Since this one is looking for ideas with little or no cost ignore those of mine which do........

Cost savings (some would require Provincial approval):

- Move all traffic related enforcement from police to bylaw enforcement.

- End the fair wage program.

- Require that TTC construction be contracted out.

- Contract out TTC station management.

- Modify Transit city to have a shared track, with passing sections.

- Ensure that all infrastructure programs are co-ordinated so that redundancies are eliminated. (eg. replacing water mains on a newly paved street)

- Have specified garbage pick up areas between houses. So if one house places its garbage for pick up at the right side, the neighbouring house on the left would place theirs on the left, Being side by side would eliminate the number of stops needed for collection.

Taxation and revenue:

I would completely revamp the current system. To be replaced with the following:

A single class of property, no more beggar they neighbour polices.

A minimum tax of $1,500 for the first $250,000 of assessment value.

A yearly parking tax of $500 per spot.

A Drive Through tax (city supplied meter) of $.25 per transaction.

The balance of property tax revenue would be generated from a single tax rate, applied equally to the assessed values over $250,000.

Have a single LTT rate for all properties.

End tax cancellations for seniors and change to a deferral.

Move to have TTC fares paid by distance.

Niceties

Potted palm trees on the beach, with a contained water area that could be cleaned and heated. (It could make Toronto a summer holiday destination).

Seasonal bike lanes and pedestrian areas via lane closures on certain streets (Queen St. comes to mind).

Consider making the TTC free after 7:30 pm (excluding routes that cross city borders)

Graffiti cleanup.

Posted on November 11, Deja Vu.

I live in a subdivision in the former North York where my sidewalk is plowed if a cloud goes over, it doesn't have to actually snow, the threat is enough to release hordes of machines chewing up lawns in lieu of those elusive snowflakes. Seriously, the status quo is stupid, sometimes the tire tracks left by the plow in a half inch blizzard are the only evidence of it having passed by in the dark of night (probably at overtime rates).

New Mayor, same nonsense. At some time yesterday while I was out the sidewalk plow cleared about a half inch of snow of the sidewalk on my street.

1) Don't hire 100 more cops.

2) I don't understand either what the bizarre fascination is with backyard chickens. Any time spent on this is basically wasted time for city council as far as I'm concerned. If Ford has to spend time on this, I'd love to see him spend that time to ensure that it doesn't get introduced in Toronto.

Last edited:
One of Ford's main promises was to clean up Toronto and that included removing grafitti and the dreaded postering of poles and other objects. (leaving behind paste, bit of paper and just dirt on everything) I am hopeful that Ford can make a difference and keep his promise. I called his office and asked them when I should start seeing a difference. They asked me which pole? I said EVERY pole along Queen, Bloor, Spadina and Dundas, in the downtown core. When will the postering be stopped? I was told someone will call me back with that answer. I'm thinking of starting another Youtube channel to keep track of the progress. I want to film things now and see how much change there is in the coming months. Ford made promises and hopefully, this is one that could be kept. Miller never seemed too interested in cleaning things up, so I'm glad Ford does.

^ A bit off topic, but I saw some guys gluing posters up this afternoon and wondered if the city had the ability to fine the actual club owners/promoters who are paying these guys? Taking down the posters is just a cat and mouse game, one which the city will ultimately lose. What are they going to do, give a fine to the (more than likely) of-no-fixed address guys who are putting them up? I'm sure it's already an ticket-able offence, to no effect. It's not hard to find out who's ultimately responsible for the posters, as the club/school/whatever all have the institution's name, address, phone number, or a combination thereof. Big fines to the promoters would either bring in money to the city, or clean up a lot the posters.

Toronto has the worst postering problem in North America. If places like Montreal and NYC can keep things reasonably clean, why not Toronto? My suggestion to Ford will be, fine the hell out of people putting up the posters and companies who hire them. It needs to be stopped or at least controlled. There are a few poles put up just for postering, we need more of those. (and maybe postering on construction hoarding too)

One of Ford's main promises was to clean up Toronto and that included removing grafitti and the dreaded postering of poles and other objects. (leaving behind paste, bit of paper and just dirt on everything) I am hopeful that Ford can make a difference and keep his promise. I called his office and asked them when I should start seeing a difference. They asked me which pole? I said EVERY pole along Queen, Bloor, Spadina and Dundas, in the downtown core. When will the postering be stopped? I was told someone will call me back with that answer. I'm thinking of starting another Youtube channel to keep track of the progress. I want to film things now and see how much change there is in the coming months. Ford made promises and hopefully, this is one that could be kept. Miller never seemed too interested in cleaning things up, so I'm glad Ford does.

i love all the posters on the poles, i think they add character and they make those ugly wooden poles look interesting. as far as graffiti they'll never be able to stop it. the moment the government removes acouple walls worth people will have tagged tons more. graffiti is part of cities and gives them character and grit, exactly why i love graffiti

Ah, I see, so you have no problem with seeing public and private property vandalized, and our streetscapes layered in cheap, third-rate commercial spam. So I take it you don't own property, don't care about that of others, and have no spam filters on your email as you believe we should all be subject to the same torrent of unwanted advertising that you no doubt are subject to.

I just want to be clear on this. And I also take it you're of a leftish-Spacing bent, claim to be all for "public spaces", yet cheerlead their degradation and eventual destruction through criminal vandalism and the uncontrolled, environmentally irresponsible wallpapering of public assets by private companies for private profit. Again, I need to be clear on this.

And I notice your address is Humber Bay. Lots of graffiti and postering out by the Queensway, is there? Or are you a just-visiting advocate of urban squalor who then hypocritcally chooses not to live in it?

One last question: who do you get to help you tie your shoelaces in the morning?

Back