News   May 17, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

In light of Rob Ford - ideas to make Toronto better that would be practically free

calimehtar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I did not vote for Rob Ford. However, since I consider myself a moderate fiscal conservative, I hope that a shift to the right at city hall can result in some change for the better. This thread is for people to discuss ways to improve the city that Rob Ford might approve of - cost practically nothing.

Here are some ideas of mine to get started:

Make more city property available for development. I would love to see the area around Sunnyside beach, including the sunnyside bathing pavilion, turned back into a coney island-style boardwalk. The grassy parks around the area are mostly underused - too close to the Gardiner and not big enough for soccer, baseball etc. The traffic is there, and so is the parking. All that's required is private money, and the will. I think there are similar opportunities in TTC stations, and at Ontario Place and Exhibition Place.

Open the management of various aspects of the TTC to competition. The TTC seems to lack the will to run things efficiently or improve customer service. I have no doubt that opening parts of the system to private companies would immediately improve service or cut costs, or both.

Convert the entire TTC to a proof of payment system as is common in Europe. This would be a low-tech way of making the entire system run more smoothly. Doing it right would require ticket dispensers and punchers, but nothing particularly high tech. They already have staff standing at stops counting riders or holding doors during rush hour, they could simply assign them to check for proof of payment instead. I admit this doesn't seem likely, but I think it's long overdue.

Start rolling out signal priority for streetcars and busses. They already have GPS in most or all busses and streetcars. It seems like it couldn't be too difficult or expensive to add the complementary technology to traffic lights. This might seem contrary to Rob's anti-streetcar rhetoric, but if streetcars and busses run more smoothly, the cars stuck behind them will benefit as well.

I agree with you on Sunnyside Pavilion. It's a great, historic, waterside attraction that is badly managed and underutilized. I was surprised the top floor of the pavilion is closed to the general public. (It's available to rent for events but sits mostly unused) It would make a fantastic summer restaurant and night club. That whole Sunnyside Beach area should be developed as a summer beach resort area, with attractions and a nicer public swimming pool. I think it would be a great asset to the city. There are too many missed opportunities in this city. To leave it like it is now, just makes no sense.

Anyone know if the western waterfront plan includes stuff for sunnyside? Some of that stuff is planned for like 20 years out, so I have no idea what's in what priority and whether there's anything specific for the pavillion or boardwalk included even. My only point is, there's already a city document governing what is planned for that area, so it can easily be tweaked, but would be much harder to pretend didn't exist if what Ford wanted varied incredibly with what the plan calls for.

Either way, I'd love to see sunnyside reinvigorated, but I think that's already on the books in one form or another, it'll just take 10 times longer than any of us care to wait, like everything with the city, regardless of who the mayor is.

Changing the TTC fare business is unlikely to be cheap (you'd have to install some kind of automated stamp or marking system like they have for in many European cities or Vancouver). Also, the open or Presto or whatever they're planning now, will lead us in that direction anyway, so that's already underway kind of.

IMO, the city has done quite a bit in the last term to bring things with very little upfront cost. The bikeshare program for instance was done with a loan guarantee. Now the hawks argue that's money owed, but if you do your job right on projects like that, then it never costs the city a penny since the project pays back its own loan and if things go well actually can generate the city a profit without ever investing a cent. That's an interesting way to bring investment, but you better be doing your freaking homework and keep tabs, 'cause failure will cost a lot. I am almost willing to bet you will see something very similar used to introduce some public-private partnership arrangement fairly quickly under Ford, although his rhetoric will be dramatically different this time. It's perfect for the no cost to taxpayers, no more gravy train, respect blah blah, he just didn't like the projects it was being used for under Miller.

High school students must complete 40 hours of community involvement activities. I would like to see them actually do cleanup in the school neighbourhoods, including the subway. However, unions would be against that, unless Ford can actually make it happen.

More philanthropy and greater engagement of people and private enterprise in supporting culture, the arts, heritage preservation, public spaces and the urban environment in general. We have nurtured a culture of relying a little too much on an increasingly impoverished system of governance to fund these things and the result hasn't been great. The cultural renaissance has shown us the impactr the private sector can have in these things. The governmnent has a role too, obviously, but there are limits when times are hard.

High school students must complete 40 hours of community involvement activities. I would like to see them actually do cleanup in the school neighbourhoods, including the subway. However, unions would be against that, unless Ford can actually make it happen.

I don't think high school students should do janitorial work.

maybe not the best idea..but rather than fancy parks,boardwalks etc...just plain old green space. well maintained grass and trees would be less expensive than boardwalks,paved walkways..etc.. there's lots city land where they could just make into simple green areas...

A few ideas:

1) Expand the City's relationship with and accommodation of car-sharing services. Specifically, expand the meager pilot project which provided 24 reserved on-street spaces to car-share companies. The carshare companies PAY full market-value for the spaces, but find it tough to find them.

This is a win-win-win deal, under which the city gets market-value rent for parking spaces (let's say 200 more, for argument's sake), likely for about $4,000 per space (on average) per year, that's $800,000 in found money (but not a tax). Its supportive of business, and its also good for the environment.

Currently the city provides only 24 spaces, and does not allow access to the embayed (all-day) retail parking on streets like Spadina or St. George, it also doesn't provide access to permit parking.

If that were changed (as Vancouver has done) the above numbers could prove to be conservative, with a wind-fall for the City and the Car-share organizations.

2) Cut back on lawn-mowing in Valley/Ravine parks (except tobaggan hills, group picnic areas etc.) This is a money-saver of several hundred thousand, but it will please environmentalist types (like me) by naturalizing the space. In time these 'natural' areas would be planted by volunteer groups, students etc, just as they are now. This would merely advance the naturalization, ahead of planting by a year or 2.

3) Harmonize recreation services levels and fees throughout the City. This is not about cutting or hiking user-fees, or adding or subtracting hours, but rather about fairness and efficiency. Currently some 23 rec centres are free for all programs to rich and poor alike, while other facilities, many in areas with lots of low-income earners charge fees that border on, or indeed are excessive. Similarly, some facilities have evening service on weekends till 10pm, while others close at 4pm. This aggravates just about everyone, its wildly inconsistent and there is no rhyme or reason, other than pre-amalgamation policies, no one remembers. Instead, nix the free facilities, but cut fees for swimming and fitness centres. (say $1 less per swim with appropriate reductions in passes, and $3 per fitness centre visit) That would make service more affordable to everyone, while making the system uniform. (The welcome policy would still be available for those would couldn't afford the new rates). Then make sure every Rec Ctr is open till AT LEAST 10pm on a Saturday night. Simple, and fully-fundable within the department's existing budget.

4) Don't 'privatize' wholesale, but DO, threaten to contract out a PART of subway station cleaning services, and see if that gets you any concessions, if not, consider contracting out cleaning at 5 stations and see how it goes. Make sure any savings are reinvested in better cleanliness.

5) Build the promised off-road bike paths, and win all sorts of cycling converts, take the money from any overly-elaborate parks project, and from 'privatizing' parks parking lots to the Green P, at all major/regional parks, and reinvested the money in trails.
Nix most new bike lanes for now (as promised) but this won't change much from Miller who promised but did not deliver them. Shock everyone by finishing the long overdue bike lane downtown connecting Beverly to the Waterfront, via either Peter/Blue Jays way or Simcoe. Its cheap, its in a ward where people will be grateful and it will make a difference.

6) Can a whole series of nice sounding, but non-core initiatives from 'Solar Neighbourhoods' to 'Community Animators' but use the savings to expand cheap things people want (where there is demand) like Community Gardens, or by planting trees in boulevards.

There....that seems like a good start! ;)

A couple more

In the name of greater freedom, allow back yard chickens, (no roosters and other reasonable rules) just like Vancouver has done (costs the city nothing)

AND

Push 'last call' back to 3am (do-able under the City of Toronto Act)

And another one.
I live in a subdivision in the former North York where my sidewalk is plowed if a cloud goes over, it doesn't have to actually snow, the threat is enough to release hordes of machines chewing up lawns in lieu of those elusive snowflakes. Seriously, the status quo is stupid, sometimes the tire tracks left by the plow in a half inch blizzard are the only evidence of it having passed by in the dark of night (probably at overtime rates).

Originally Posted by doady
I don't think high school students should do janitorial work.

Even at 7 bucks an hour?;-)

A stint at Janitorial work could be a huge motivator for under achieving students once they realise that it is a preview of the rest of their life if they don't get serious about their education.

I'm still iffy about the indentured servitude we force high school students into in the name of community service. And I'm especially unsympathetic to people (the Harris gov't.) who never had this requirement forcing it on others because they know what's good for them (students).

Last edited:
I think what every government should do is to keep a very clear trail of money instead of having a general revenue pool. It not only cut waste, it also makes a lot of projects much easier to sell.

Back