News   Jul 11, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 623     1 

If you could change one thing about Toronto, what would it be?

This is a myth. Racial rules were eliminated from the immigration laws in 1962 under John Diefenbaker's Conservative government. Lester B. Pearson's subsequent Liberal government opened up immigration from the Caribbean. By the time Trudeau came to power in 1968, the process of immigration from non-European countries including the Caribbean was well under way. As an immigrant myself to Canada in 1976, I am thankful that Trudeau let my family into the country.

My point above was that if we could change something about Toronto, by somehow eliminating the gangst'a menace we would reduce our gun crimes down to Tokyo-like levels. I'm just not sure how we go about making this change for Toronto's benefit.

Not sure why you would mention the Carribean? We all know the most powerful "gangstas" in Canada and throughout the entire Eastern sea board are the Russian Mafia....we should all remember that the real gangstas don't wear do-rags or bandanas.....real "gangstas" wear Armani suits. Also, the Chinese Triads are one of the most powerful underground groups as well. Look at all the grow-ops around the GTA and then tell me who runs the city's drug crime? It's easy to throw around the word "gangsta", but people have to realize there are greater underground forces at work throughout the city, more than the balaclava wearing hoods that rob TTC kiosks at gunpoint...

It's easy to throw around the word "gangsta", but people have to realize there are greater underground forces at work throughout the city, more than the balaclava wearing hoods that rob TTC kiosks at gunpoint...

True, but as a Torontonian, I'm a helluva lot more afraid of a desperate kids with guns than I am of Russian gangsters.

Next time you're in New Jersey (for example) try driving up to Russian gangsters at 2 am in an isolated parking lot if lost, they give excellent directions. :D

Not sure why you would mention the Carribean? We all know the most powerful "gangstas" in Canada and throughout the entire Eastern sea board are the Russian Mafia....we should all remember that the real gangstas don't wear do-rags or bandanas.....real "gangstas" wear Armani suits. Also, the Chinese Triads are one of the most powerful underground groups as well. Look at all the grow-ops around the GTA and then tell me who runs the city's drug crime? It's easy to throw around the word "gangsta", but people have to realize there are greater underground forces at work throughout the city, more than the balaclava wearing hoods that rob TTC kiosks at gunpoint...

True gangsters like The Russian mafia won't bother random people. Their crimes are based more on personal conflict/circumstance. It's the petty thugs that are a problem.

I agree...I just wanted to emphasize that "wanna-be gangsta" " stick-up kids" operate on a much smaller and more random level than real gangsters that operate in a city as big as Toronto. Most of the time you won't even here about "Mafia type" crime in the news because they are usually smarter than that and deal in much bigger criminal activities than you and I can even fathom. Once in a while you'll hear about "gangland style" shooting in a random parking lot, or near a massage parlour or kareoke bar, always hired guns and usually never get caught. I think their impact on overall criminal activity in this city is much, much greater than the "petty" drug dealers or "stick-up kids" that rob someone for their gold chain. It's true a Russian mobster won't bother random people like you and I, however their crimes have a much greater impact. Who do you guys think bring all these drugs into Canada? It ain't the local kid from Jane and Woolner....it's the middle aged Armani wearing gangster with a house on Mississauga Road....

I would add more subway lines downtown. We have the population density to support it: Queen St would be a start.

Not sure why you would mention the Carribean? We all know the most powerful "gangstas" in Canada and throughout the entire Eastern sea board are the Russian Mafia....we should all remember that the real gangstas don't wear do-rags or bandanas.....real "gangstas" wear Armani suits. Also, the Chinese Triads....
I agree that organized crime, the true gangsters come from many different groups, though my own immigrant group, that of white, English-speaking, UK-born seems to be notably absent as a identifiable group of organized criminals. Of course we Brits have more than our share of white colour crime, and perhaps biker gangs.

I mention the Caribbean (correct spelling thereof) because almost 100% of the murders by firearms outside of inter-family or domestic altercations where the gunman is known appear to involve young males of Caribbean descent. I note that you chose to focus on my mention of Caribbean, but what of my claim that young males commit such crimes?

Hmm... I seriously thought I had clicked the racism thread link by accident.
Sorry, my fault here. This is the last thing I'll say on the gangsta topic.

If I could change one thing about Toronto, it would be term limits for city council of two 3-4 year terms. It's time to end the default incumbency at City Hall where councillors use taxpayers dollars to essentially campaign throughout their term. Instead, with term limits we'll get fresh ideas and different community voices heard.

One thing about Toronto that I wish it didn't have was as many detached houses so close to the urban core. It bugs me that the Annex houses do not connect much like they do in places like Georgetown in Washington DC or Greenwhich Village in New York City. It looks very clumsy and it feels like a suburb in the middle of the city. This is also the case with areas inbetween Spadina and University Avenue.

Also, I wish Toronto had more subways than the barebones network it has now. Although, suprisingly enough, Toronto's transportation system is the second most used of any within North America behind New York City.

I also don't like how Toronto's waterfront has the industrial look that it has. Some of the eyesores that are deemed "historical" really need to just dissappear already.

Lastly, the downtown area in Toronto does not have enough authentic greenspace. It really is a concrete jungle and I would imagine it would be hard to own a dog in the downtown area as there are such limited available parks and whatnot.

All great points Coool. I whole-heartedly agree about the lack of green space downtown. We dont' have a great urban park downtown where you can hang out at night. In fact we don't have any great urban spaces to just hang out. It seems as though our public spaces are designed in a way to discourage loitering there, as loitering is considered to be a seedy activity and may involve drugs.

I would love to change the weather. I hate the damp cold in winter and the humidity in summer. Drier air would be nicer.

Mountains would be nice too. I was in Alberta this past summer and loved the dry heat and mountains. :)

One thing about Toronto that I wish it didn't have was as many detached houses so close to the urban core. It bugs me that the Annex houses do not connect much like they do in places like Georgetown in Washington DC or Greenwhich Village in New York City. It looks very clumsy and it feels like a suburb in the middle of the city. This is also the case with areas inbetween Spadina and University Avenue.

In a way I agree, but that's our built vernacular and it is impossible to change it without disrupting the city. Bay and Gable neighbourhoods are great generators of diversity and spontaneous commercial uses, so they're not all bad. I would go so far as to say that Toronto might be the most exciting, urbane city that's downtown built form mostly consists of semi-detached houses with front yards. On the plus side, a lot of the areas that we are redeveloping downtown have a solid, midrise vibe. Stewart street in Freedville, for example, has a fantastic streetwall and midrise canyon that makes you feel like you're in a large, continental European city. Charlotte street, where they are building Charlie and Langston Hall, and where they recently built Glas, the Hudson and the Charlotte is another one of these streets and it fits really well with the surrounding turn of the century warehouses making it feel like Toronto's TriBeCa. Slowly but surely, Toronto is starting to not only have the culture of a big city but look like a big city, too. And don't forget the evolution of King East!

I also don't like how Toronto's waterfront has the industrial look that it has. Some of the eyesores that are deemed "historical" really need to just dissappear already.

Well, the point of keeping historic buildings is not to make something aesthetically pleasing in the eyes of the current generation, but to preserve a record of the city's history. How many times have you looked at a picture in the "Then and Now" thread and said "oh, so that's what used to be there!"

Lastly, the downtown area in Toronto does not have enough authentic greenspace. It really is a concrete jungle and I would imagine it would be hard to own a dog in the downtown area as there are such limited available parks and whatnot.

Okay, I agree here. We have scraps of marginal green space, where a condo developer was forced to build a parkette as part of some city agreement and did a half-assed job creating usable green space. This is especially true along the Bay street condo corridor where there are dozens of little fountains, and some shrubbery or a bench, but nothing that would allow kids to run around, dogs to run around, anyone to play any kind of sport that involves space larger than a living room, etc.

Mind you, there are some parks that are well utilized and some parks that have design features that permit the kind of activities I want, but they are sort of rare gems: Trinity Bellwoods, of course, but it's kind of out of the way from the remainder of downtown. Other parks like Christie Pits or Alexandra park are a little too utilitarian in their design in the sense that they facilitate sports activities but are not a place of urban escape for those who don't want to throw a ball or do skateboard tricks. We don't need to demolish useful buildings to make way for parks, but we should enhance the design of the ones we already have. Why not make more out of Clarence Square with its handsome rowhouses and ancient trees? Just because Moss Park is in a sketchy neighbourhood doesn't mean the park should be sketchy. Why not take a cue from NYC parks in poor neighbourhoods which are the pride of local citizens? Why not make Ramsden Park more than a baseball diamond, some crumbling tennis courts and a garbage transfer station? There is so much we could do in terms of improving our parks.

Two things we could do that are very doable and would have a visible impact on the city are:

1. Revamp the amenities requirements for condos and other new projects...I'm not just talking about the guest suite and the mahjong room, but parking and parkettes, too. Is there an area of mostly new condo construction anywhere in the city that isn't absolutely horrible because the streets are fronted with nothing but gated gardens, massive circular driveways, or a block of blank walls hiding the pool and fitness room? Be more flexible with 'X parking spots per unit' ratios, consolidate utterly pointless concrete parkettes into a larger and actual park, etc. Developers may claim condo buyers are looking for more amenities, but they're also looking for lower fees and costs.

2. Permit new places of worship in places other than industrial parks...encourage them, even. Established neighbourhoods have Christian and Catholic churches, and a few synagogues. Nothing else. In recent decades, the city has seen dozens, perhaps hundreds, of new religious buildings built, and practically all of them have been located in middle-of-nowhere industrial parks. Or, congregations have to rent industrial units. Now, the city is worried about losing employment land to places of worship. Well, gee, if you limit temples and mosques and Chinese Baptist churches and so on to only industrial parks, they just might take up some space.

How many dozens of kilometres of beefy Avenues development does the city want to add? You cannot build a city using only low-rise condos, Second Cups, and drycleaners. Well, you can, but that's not a city worth living in, and it's a boring, dreary city. The trifecta of urban success is not residential + retail + offices, tied together with linear parkettes. Is there a sliver of land anywhere from CityPlace to the West Don Lands for new places of worship? The Parc Downsview Park site? Downtown Markham or Mississauga? If there is an appropriate sliver of land, will it be made available to any use other than condos? The funny thing is that so many old churches in central neighbourhood sites are empty or almost empty and face conversion to residential uses or outright demolition.

This is always a fun read. The post asks us to "change one thing" but the vast majority of responses list far more than one.

Today, the "one thing" I would change is the city's obsession with overhead stuff and nonsense. Ugly networks of streetcar wires (why not simple, to-the-point wiring?), then there is all that Toronto Hydro wiring (& poles) that everyone likes to bitch about. Heavens, even the Nathan Phillips Square re-do was adjudicated by some egghead who ruled that the ugly (and useless) overhead walkways had to stay. I think we have a fixation with overhead stuff ... maybe someone can cure us of this? Does this town need a few sessions with a shrink?

That's just one thing, isn't it? Overhead eyesores.

Last edited:

Back