News   Jul 17, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 781     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 628     0 

If you could change one thing about Toronto, what would it be?

The green signs with a person running out a door are a standard used in more countries than the red signs. There is something to be said about standard pictographs and signs, especially when you expect people to react to them in an emergency. We are taught red means stop or do not enter, fires burn red, orange, and yellow, it makes more sense to run towards green (or even blue to escape heat) than towards a red sign.

i wonder if there is a visual (eye sight) reason for using red? would the light wavelength of red be more visible through smoke or poorly lit conditions than green?

The green signs with a person running out a door are a standard used in more countries than the red signs. There is something to be said about standard pictographs and signs, especially when you expect people to react to them in an emergency. We are taught red means stop or do not enter, fires burn red, orange, and yellow, it makes more sense to run towards green (or even blue to escape heat) than towards a red sign.
Not only that, but Blue is the easiest color to see and recognize. After that is green.

Red is the least easy to see, so trying to locate a red exit sign through dense smoke, as well as possibly being surrounded by red/yellow fire around you is much harder than locating a blue or green one.

EDIT: No Prometheus, it's actually the opposite. Red is the least easily identifiable colour, and that's increased tenfold in poor conditions such as smoke, haze or fog. It's also less easy to identify red objects/shapes compared to other colours, with Blue and Green being the most easily identifiable.

Last edited:
I also say more subways, especially downtown, with 24 hour service, more people everywhere, more density, more major retail streets, more culture/entertainment areas, more pedestrian friendly, as well as car-free areas, more unusual/exotic festivals, more eccentricity, more daring architecture and COLOUR! (Yes, we know, what a controversial thing to say on a site like this. lol Call me a radical!)

But if only 1 thing, I'll go for subways.

Last edited:
Trade Mayors with Mississauga.

^^ That, I do not agree with.

But I agree with pretty much all of Torontovibe's comments. The only thing is that I wouldn't add more retail streets, but build up the retail streets we currently have. You know, with the whole mixed use development thing.

EDIT: No Prometheus, it's actually the opposite. Red is the least easily identifiable colour, and that's increased tenfold in poor conditions such as smoke, haze or fog. It's also less easy to identify red objects/shapes compared to other colours, with Blue and Green being the most easily identifiable.

all our tail lights, stop signs and stop lights, etc. are red. :eek:

i wonder if there is a visual (eye sight) reason for using red? would the light wavelength of red be more visible through smoke or poorly lit conditions than green?

Red is ones of the worst colours to be used as emergency signals. Simply because there is a rather common eye sight condition that dose not allow people to see the colour at all.

There was a time where fire departments and police were toying with going to yellow vehicles for greater visibility but I think the problem was that the link between red and emergency/stop was already set in people's minds. Yellow has become the colour of construction and city department vehicles which stop in the road, aligned with the thought yellow means caution.

One thing? Well for me it is two.

Make Yonge Street and Queen Street pedestrian only. Not the whole stretch, but through the core definitely.

How come pedestrian's can't even get one dedicated road?

Back