News   Jul 11, 2024
 414     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 551     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 701     0 

If you could change one thing about Toronto, what would it be?

ban panhandling...

it has become a business

If I could change two things I'd institute a series of mandatory requirements and qualifications to be eligible to run for city council. One such qualification would be competence. Thus we'd weed out the idiots like Rob Ford and ensure that we have a thoughtful, intelligent, useful council capable of stewardship and vision.
And how would you determine competence?

And how would you determine competence?

Obviously through a complicated anti-democratic system of elitism, bias-peddling or snobbery. The real answer isn't so straight forward but if someone is allowed to potentially ruin the city they should at least first prove that they are above a basic level of competence, regardless of experience or political ideology.

In Chinese (and Korean?), "four" is a homophone of "death." Quite a few condos nowadays skip the 4th floor as a result. I think I Hong Kong, some buildings even skip floors 39-50. There is even a name for it, tetraphobia. Skipping floor 13 is triskadecaphobia.

My building has no fours in it what-so-ever.. no 4th floor, no 14th floor, no units with the number 4. Also, no 13.

Maybe all buildings should have an 88th floor (skip all numbers to ensure 88 is in it!).

Get rid of most street crap. Between hydro poles, street lights, hydrants, parking machines, traffic lights, street signage (no parking, yield, light ahead...), those annoying message boards, TTC stop signs, dead trees, bike rings and such, the streets are way too crowded before even adding pedestrians. Most of these things are just magnets for tagging and being plastered with flyers. Ideally we would start to bury all the overhead wires we can. I would like more street info to go onto roads themselves, perhaps throuh colour coding pavement based on road characteristics. Where possible, signage should just be eliminated entirely (there is no need to sign bike routes, no one refers to them by number anyways). Street lights should also be black as opposed to yellow to mizimize contrast. Stop tolerating flyers, they aren't gritty or urban, they are just ugly. I don't want to hear about it everty time someone plays Darkside of Oz.

Road paintings are a good idea, however what happens when it snows? Oops there goes our signs. "what do you mean I'm supposed to yield? What sign?"

Toronto needs its public officials to recognize Toronto's identity as the greatest metropolis of a fantastic country, and contend for leadership in urban design and transit in the world. Hence, the one thing I'd change is to have a municipal administration that prides itself in leadership in design and transit.

The Toronto council thinks about going green. However, the epidemic of 4-way stop signs negate that.

Doesn't the council know that the motor vehicle wastes the most fuel in the lower gears, especially first gear. From a full stop, first gear is used to get the motor vehicle moving, before shifting to second and then third. Then braking again for the next stop sign. Running the motor vehicle in first gear wastes the most fuel.

Get rid of the stop signs and replace them with yield signs instead.

I would go back in time to about 1950, and stop all the horrible planning of the post war suburbs! But really, the DR and better transit all around.

Back