News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 602     1 

If you could change one thing about Toronto, what would it be?

-Grid like streets ala manahatten... easier to get around then all the zigzags we have

-No more electrical poles

-more retail on the ground floor of major streets, makes walking alot more fun

-more out door street cafes

-better water front

-more subway routes

-underground railway lines

-direct train to airport and back - no not the Go

-And Finally.... bridge through lake ontario to Niagara on the lake, or Rochestor... will make Toronto a Border town.

I agree. I don't think that the hollowing out of suburban areas is going to occur - that is more a prophesy that urbanites would like to see, rather than something that is actually plausible.

Based on the success of suburban cities like Detroit? LA?

I'd love it if the burbs could grow into something that will stay nice in the long-term, but I'm not optimistic that it will happen without a big change in the way they're developed. There's just no good evidence that suburbs are viable in the long-term, and lots of good evidence against it.

Parking for employees should be a taxable benefit, if it is currently free. Also the property tax on parking spaces should be equivalent to the property tax on a office cubicle (usually smaller square feet than a parking space).

Get rid of the small town mindedness that seems to infect this city. It seems that we think that we are simultaniously the next New York or London on the Financial/Economic/etc stage and some small town rural speck where there should be no noise except for the cows and the crickets.

To become a world class city we are going to lose some of our small town roots.

-Grid like streets ala manahatten... easier to get around then all the zigzags we have
If I could find you a city that more grid street-ier than Toronto or Manhattan, I would most certainly point it out to you.

-more retail on the ground floor of major streets, makes walking alot more fun
I definitely agree, and I think that's happening with redevelopment and densification. And try walking from Leslie to Woodbine on Highway 7 compared to Leslie to Woodbine on say Queen. It's a totally different experience, and is a lot easier to do.

-better water front
Deefinitely happening as well. In fact, I took an evening on the Waterfront just last week and it was astounding how much things had changed even from 10 years ago. There's a bunch of development that's coming to the entire strip that should open everything back up again.

-more subway routes
We can only hope :(

-underground railway lines
Yes! There's a bunch of places where the rail lines should be tunneled instead of open air, starting with the track around Union Station, from Bathurst to the Don.

paul said:
Based on the success of suburban cities like Detroit? LA?
I don't want to say that there's anything optimal about LA's urban planning, but I don't think I'd ever say that LA is unsuccessful (or successful in a sarcastic way.) It may have a piss-poor urban form, but it's doing quite well.

paul said:
I'd love it if the burbs could grow into something that will stay nice in the long-term, but I'm not optimistic that it will happen without a big change in the way they're developed. There's just no good evidence that suburbs are viable in the long-term, and lots of good evidence against it.
I think that Toronto's on the right track to doing just that. It looks like our suburbs aren't going to be sprawling out anymore, and the GTA's population is set to double in like 25 years?
With all these big downtowns set to be formed and corridors to be densified, there's a great opportunity for public transit to become the standard form of travel, and pretty much solving the suburban issue. They'll allow businesses and industry to be spread out, while keeping them linked together closely through public transit and simply close proximity.

I actually think the entire region has a very good future, both the city, suburbs, and the Golden Horseshoe/Southern Ontario in general. I seriously doubt that Toronto will continue straying along the same american city path that it has been for the past 50 years. I truly believe that it's a city fit to lead the 21st Century like Chicago did in the 1900s.

Get rid of the small town mindedness that seems to infect this city. It seems that we think that we are simultaniously the next New York or London on the Financial/Economic/etc stage and some small town rural speck where there should be no noise except for the cows and the crickets.

I wouldn't quite call it small town roots, but Toronto does seem to have an affinity to calling themselves not worthy to the global spotlight. And if we continue that, it's certainly going to drag us down. One just needs to look at Transit City to see how much we believe we can't have nice things like other cities our size.

I wouldn't quite call it small town roots, but Toronto does seem to have an affinity to calling themselves not worthy to the global spotlight. And if we continue that, it's certainly going to drag us down. One just needs to look at Transit City to see how much we believe we can't have nice things like other cities our size.

These are valid, those sentiments really do live here in Toronto. However, when the present decade is over, I believe we're going to look back and realize that this has been our decade, and we will probably see Toronto gain a much more confident mindset. Achievement breeds confidence, and confidence feeds on itself.

And even when we get there, there is something that you may be assured of: London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, they have their beefs too, people will always complain collectively about some things (with New York, the issue for decades has been increasing noise levels, and some good people are starting to win the fight).

Closer to home, however, I believe that Toronto's biggest hurdle to "bigness" is our attitude to public spaces. All of the giants, (London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, etc.) are very mindful of their appearances. Toronto has yet to show that it gives a hoot about that. Heavens, Paris is totally a/r about its appearance -- you won't see one overhead wire anywhere at all in central Paris.

Jack Diamond expressed his disappointment that the street furniture program here didn't see the value of going for a "signature look" and he is correct. We opted, instead, to keep the helter skelter newspaper boxes, and we obtained those totally gross new garbage bins. When you see Toronto getting a bit more touchy about how the public areas look (including the squares, of course) then you'll know we're actually starting to arrive. Some politicians argue that we don't have the money for such “attention to details”, while I argue that we can’t afford to have that sort of politician around any more (but those North Etobicoke types will vote them in, watch and see).

Last edited:
Get rid of most street crap. Between hydro poles, street lights, hydrants, parking machines, traffic lights, street signage (no parking, yield, light ahead...), those annoying message boards, TTC stop signs, dead trees, bike rings and such, the streets are way too crowded before even adding pedestrians. Most of these things are just magnets for tagging and being plastered with flyers. Ideally we would start to bury all the overhead wires we can. I would like more street info to go onto roads themselves, perhaps throuh colour coding pavement based on road characteristics. Where possible, signage should just be eliminated entirely (there is no need to sign bike routes, no one refers to them by number anyways). Street lights should also be black as opposed to yellow to mizimize contrast. Stop tolerating flyers, they aren't gritty or urban, they are just ugly. I don't want to hear about it everty time someone plays Darkside of Oz.

One thing I would change...

I’d change the Constitution to give Toronto and other major cities more power and authority. Toronto (and urban centres) is the economic powerhouse of this country yet it has next to no political power (domestically or on the international stage). I'd change that and let the rest follow.

If I could change two things I'd institute a series of mandatory requirements and qualifications to be eligible to run for city council. One such qualification would be competence. Thus we'd weed out the idiots like Rob Ford and ensure that we have a thoughtful, intelligent, useful council capable of stewardship and vision.

Three things:

(i) Congestion charging;
(ii) Some cool European squares, with high density housing and retail surrounding the square; and,
(iii) Some pedestrian streets in the summer.

Oh, here are some other things that I just thought of...
- New York style awnings, going from multi-unit buildings all the way to the street;
- Awnings that cover the sidewalk, so when it rains you don't get wet; and,
- a bridge to the Island Airport.

Back