• I will be dissapointed

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • I will lose it if they work to rule

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

BMO

Member Bio
Reaction score
this is a poll on how pissed you would be if the TTC worked to rule.

The article in the other thread said they'll work slower and cause line ups at ticket booths.

Because if you're upset about being "harassed" by customers, naturally the best thing to do is to provoke them more.

What a bunch of crybabies. They get a stern deserved warning about stuff like sleeping on the job, so their response is to work slower.

What a bunch of crybabies. They get a stern deserved warning about stuff like sleeping on the job, so their response is to work slower.

Well, if they work slower, then perhaps they won't be so tired and won't need to nap.:p

Working to rule would mean NOT taking 7 minute coffee breaks enroute while giving the finger to passengers, and NOT falling asleep in their collector booths.

here are my thoughts about who needs to shape up and what not.

it's not really about who needs to shape up and what not, it's all about respect and responsibility, and of course, a little bit of common sense. This is not a game of tag. You got me and now I am going to get you back. What's the point of that? Instead of solving the problem, both sides (employees and riders) are just bashing each other for no reason. I myself take the TTC almost everyday, and from what I see, it's like a warzone.

1. "this bus is not moving until you pay the fare." this one always gets me, and it's quite common too. it usually happens to riders with a mental disability. all i can say is be patient. there's no need to play childish here. continue what you are doing and eventually the rider will pay, if not, then wait until he/she is about to get off. then ask them nicely again. for other that do not have a disability, then it is really up to you. if you think it has been smooth sailing up until now by not paying the fare, then when you get caught one day, don't complain.

2. littering on the subway or buses. oh come on guys, are we kindergartens here? everybody knows how the garbage bins look like right? plus, now there's even garbage bins that tell you which ones goes where. do we really need to be spoonfed? once again, common sense. and this goes with washrooms too.

3. drunk riders on transit systems. this is a tough one. riders, be patient. i know it can get annoying sometimes, but if you really feel uncomfortable, then get off at the next station, and catch another train. or switch to another train. just don't make it obvious though.

4. taking breaks during your shift. i can't stress this enough, you are public servants and you are getting paid (a lot too i might add). recently the fare increase was already a headache to the riders and now transit operators taking naps and coffee breaks? GIVE ME A BREAK! if you can't handle night shifts, then switch with someone! if you don't like sitting at the collector booth, then ask for another position! you have a mouth don't you?

that's all i can think of right now. but getting back to that question, who needs to shape up. well after looking at these 4 scenarios, i think its pretty clear now is it not?

Wow, you mean to tell me that the TTC and crew wants to be even less effectual? :eek:

basically they want to declare war on the ridership... they should be thankful this fizzled out.

I can't vote because the "No customers will notice the difference" option isn't there. The employees who genuinely care about their riders will continue to do so because that is who they are as a person, and those who don't will continue on as before. The union has long removed the need for staff to behave a certain way and to treat customers as valuable parts of their job. Besides running the vehicles everything else is pretty much optional and it shows. I don't think a work to rule campaign will stop drivers who help mothers get their strollers on board because those drivers do it because they actually care, not because it is their job. As long as excellent customer service is not rewarded and poor customer service doesn't lead to terminations the TTC will continue to operate as it does now. Maybe the TTC should consider tip jars or something so employees that need motivation to care about other people will have one. There are drivers out there who deserve more.

noctis:

Actually, these are also partly TTC's problems - lax (if not non-existent) enforcement of by-laws.

AoD

i never said that the TTC was not at fault, #4 was basically aiming at them. all in all, the riders and ttc employees are at fault is what i am trying to say. both needs to shape up.

Back