5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 803     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 773     1 

I am LEGAL! :)

Ah, that thread title. Great Quagmire bait
quagmire_4.gif

congratulations man :D what's so great about Toronto, compared to Pittsburgh? Except for the fact that they're melon arena is falling apart? :p i jk

I'm thrilled for you Brandon - you deserve the two years and more! You worked so hard for it - congratulations!

PS - great shot at the top of the thread!

I'm thrilled for you Brandon - you deserve the two years and more! You worked so hard for it - congratulations!

PS - great shot at the top of the thread!

Thanks again everyone, and thanks for the photo comment. ;) It was a quickie I snapped with the webcam.

So are you coming as a student? On a work permit? Or did you get PR? How did you overcome your past troubles with the rules? Perhaps your experience can help others in the same boat.

To be succinctly clear without giving too much information, I am coming on an study-to-work pathway. I'm taking unnecessary courses and its draining my entire life savings and requiring me to make major changes and become much more meager with my living standards (meager would be an understatement), but I had no other option because my PR application was denied. I'm not proud that this is the way I was forced into, but it will work. I'm a legal temporary resident and after the study program is complete I will have an automatic work permit, and at that point I should be able to renew with the employer. After 3 years I can apply to become a permanent resident.

I'm not interested in having an immigration debate again. What I can tell you is that I can offer help to no one, I'm doing what is working (barely) for me. Only now have I been eligible to apply for a student permit and attempt a program because it is painfully expensive and requires massive resources just to get approved.

Last edited:
Fantastic news, a welcome addition to the team!

EDIT: Just read your post above. Not great news - but like mom always said to me "short term pain for long term gain".

Last edited:
Thanks! BTW, I don't anticipate being able to vote for at least 3 years, but that's not my primary goal of course. It would be good being part of the process eventually though...

Dilla, in regards to the study-to-work path, its better than nothing I suppose. The old system was pretty much the same, but it takes a lot and i mean A LOT of resources before you are approved. If it weren't for my parents sponsoring me, I wouldn't have made it. And I have the paper qualifications all by myself to do a 1 yr study program, at the immigration interview they didn't approve my app right away last month (had to get extra backing from my parents, which was rather silly) and I was concerned until the paper came in.

All I can say is that where there is will there is a way, and I'm thankful my parents support my move to Canada. :)

It would have been much better for me if I could have had the permanent resident application go through while I stayed here in Pittsburgh, and then just move up after it was completed. Would have been much more financially suitable and viable since I could begin work right away... But like I said, this way at least works. If for some reason I had to come back to the US for a period of time, the Canadian experience is still valid and there for the future.

Brandon,

Best of luck. Few words of advice from having watched two students my parents are supporting right now:

Apparently Ontario now gives out health care to anybody with a work permit 6 months after you get the work permit. However, you have to make do with the school's medical coverage while in-school.

The main concern for you should be finding relevant and qualifying work ASAP so that your work permit can be converted into PR. Given the economic situation that's quite challenging. We had to use quite a few family contacts to help the two students my parents had under their care find qualifying work. The best I can suggest is to start looking for work right away.

From what I have observed, it's not an easy path to residency but it's better than what they had before for students and relatively easy to navigate as long as you are willing to put in the effort.

Best of luck!

What do your parents think about your struggle to immigrate? Honestly, I'm puzzled by what it is about Canada that made it worth all the heartache and hassle you went (and will go) through.

I'll add my congratulations and best wishes. Your route sounds a little bit "back door", but the bottom line is that it seems to have worked. What's the old cliche about "if at first ... "

Back