News   May 15, 2024
 231     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 322     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 887     1 

I’m tired of the lack of civility downtown

GO transit makes it easy for the homeless to get around. This week i took the GO train from Guelph to downtown Toronto, and I saw a few undesirable looking people with garbage bags get on the morning train and they got off at Union Station. There was no transit police checking tickets or proof of payment either.

I hate being accosted by people looking for money too but it's a symptom of a much bigger problem. Nobody wants to be homeless. They're just trying to exist in a world that doesn't care about them, so can't expect them to care what you think or act in a civil manner.

These days, it seems I'm accosted more often by charity teams and pepole wanting to sell me stuff than by legitimate panhandlers, and I find it even more annoying. Not including people in need, I would like to be able to enjoy the public realm in relative peace.

The ultimate lack of civility is ignoring the misery of people and allowing more and more hunger and lack of housing.

Hello everybody, it's a pleasure to join your community! :)) I've been living in the downtown area of TO for over 26 years now. Things have deteriorated in a big way. My condo is at Victoria and Shuter. Man, once (and if) I reach that retirement age, I am out of here.

Well yeah opening up all those clinics for addicts to shoot up will attract a ton of crazy types.

... and save many lives. (Would you rather see people shooting up ON the street?)
Not against such clinics but the police should patrol such areas more.

I feel dangerously unsafe going to ryerson at night at that Victoria street corner.

Idk I visit nyc I see why more cops on patrol then Toronto.

I hate that term. You're prolonging their lives maybe, not saving.
You are partly right (but, as so often) partly wrong. Yes, safe injection sites generally DO (only) prolong lives but they also bring addicts into contact with people who can help them either get into treatment and (occasionally) actually save a life(time). Drug addiction is an illness and needs to be treated as such. Are safe injection sites a panacea? Of course not and they really don't fit into your (imaginary) black & white world.

Idk I visit nyc I see why more cops on patrol then Toronto.
I almost never see Toronto police on foot unless they‘re playing traffic cone on paid duty. In NYC, especially Manhattan you see beat cops everywhere to enforce laws against littering, public nussiance and intoxication, traffic violations and jaywalking, and (from the perspective of a middle class white guy) overall exuding a sense of peace and civility. I don’t know why TPS issues shoes to their officers - you rarely see them in use.

Last edited:
Drug addiction is an illness
I know that, but you presume to already know my positions, thoughts and experience. I’ve lost people to drug and alcohol addiction, including both my parents in their 60s, three of my grandparents and almost my older brother. I may not use today‘s progressive, inclusive and sanitized terminology nor the otherwise slackivist calls for compassion and understanding, but when I see the junkies sprawled about downtown I always remind myself that’s someone’s kid or parent. We all die from something, and not everyone is going to make it through the sh#t life sends our way, but most of us don't turn to drugs - unlike my cousin in law who as an alcoholic killed a man when he was DUI. Oh yes, addiction to drugs has impacted my views, but they're not black and white as you suggest.

Certainly mental illness plays a part, but there's a personal responsibility in addiction, it takes a voluntary first start. No one forced the drugs onto my parents, for example, perhaps they couldn't handle their lives and looked for mama's little helper, IDK. And then that decision to begin with drugs often impacts the community and the freedom of others to live their lives downtown without drug paraphernalia and neighborhood decay.

Is that the exchange now, downtowners must accept drugs and decay because addicts, often AIUI not originating from downtown got hooked and large charities and government agencies (who leaders are often wealthy and likely don’t live downtown) deem our neighbourhood as unworthy of regular standards of civility and law and order? Doesn't seem fair to the rest of us clean and sober downtowners slogging through life.

Last edited:
Why do people feel the need to walk or cycle through my neighbourhood at 6:30am with their boom box blaring their tunes? I swear downtown east is becoming filled with nut bars. Bring on the winter, that great etch-a-sketch shakeup clearing of the streets.

Why do people feel the need to walk or cycle through my neighbourhood at 6:30am with their boom box blaring their tunes? I swear downtown east is becoming filled with nut bars. Bring on the winter, that great etch-a-sketch shakeup clearing of the streets.

I'm assuming you're never out on your bike that early. Hmmm......now THAT shit is annoying.

I get these dickhead motorcylcists blasting by my building at all hours with their stupid engines revving as high as possible. Speaking of annoying nut bars. ;)

and without exception they are playing really crappy music.

I find it somewhat amusing how certain threads on UT attract a certain group of UTers. Many are, of course, drawn to a thread as pre- construction purchasers or immediate neighbours while other threads attract those interested in a specific neighbourhood. I see this as one that really attracts the "Grumpy Old Men" (and women) of our gallant community. Another with the same 'fan base' might be: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/roadside-begging.30285/page-4#post-1541750
grumpy.jpg

Back