News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 745     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

I’m tired of the lack of civility downtown

On way to today’s tall ship event, I rode the bicycle down that circus of humanity that is Sherbourne from Gerrard to Queen, and saw that the aggressive squeegee people are back at it, walking into traffic, wiping their bucket off foaming piss across windshields. This is in clear contravention of the SSA, but the TPS does nothing.

On way to today’s tall ship event, I rode the bicycle down that circus of humanity that is Sherbourne from Gerrard to Queen, and saw that the aggressive squeegee people are back at it, walking into traffic, wiping their bucket off foaming piss across windshields. This is in clear contravention of the SSA, but the TPS does nothing.

Proliferation of smartphones and a slow transition towards victim-based judgement that makes it difficult to tackle issues like this due to nearly everything nowadays being considered police brutality by activists?

It's like the LCBO where no one tackles theft anymore or those police arrest videos where there's always some bystander who's screaming about police brutality- are institutions moving to a hands-off treatment of anti-social behaviour?

Also another observation around downtown- presumably Roma women panhandling with headscarves (were they pretending to be Syrians?), always with a placard describing some ailment that has crippled their family.

It's like the LCBO where no one tackles theft anymore or those police arrest videos where there's always some bystander who's screaming about police brutality- are institutions moving to a hands-off treatment of anti-social behaviour?

There is no doubt shoplifting is a major concern and the lumpenproletariat are not the only ones who shoplift on a regular basis. Security cameras and security guards (even plainclothes security guards) may not be enough to deter potential shoplifters. There are some online communities that condone shoplifting!

Because of shoplifting, products become a little more expensive to pay for security cameras, security guards, and other forms of security, as well as lost, damaged, and stolen inventory.

Last edited:
There is no doubt shoplifting is a major concern and the lumpenproletariat are not the only ones who shoplift on a regular basis. Security cameras and security guards (even plainclothes security guards) may not be enough to deter potential shoplifters. There are some online communities that condone shoplifting!

Because of shoplifting, products become a little more expensive to pay for security cameras, security guards, and other forms of security, as well as lost, damaged, and stolen inventory.
The only things that will ultimately address panhandling and shoplifting is a move to a cashless economy and the end of shops, moving to delivery for everything.

The only things that will ultimately address panhandling and shoplifting is a move to a cashless economy and the end of shops, moving to delivery for everything.
Shoplifters already work in a cashless environment.
Old solution was to put the product away from the customer so it can't be stolen.

maxresdefault.jpg

LCBO%201965.JPG

Sherbourne is terrible for that. Hate driving down that area because if you don't pay attention, you may hit someone. They don't even care if there are cars, they just cross without looking. Very dangerous

I'm so sorry...
Your apology isn’t necessary, it’s not your fault.

We all have life baggage, but some transfer their baggage onto others, and others struggle on with dignity. Toronto has always had homeless and downtrodden folks, but in my 30+ years living downtown I’m seeing an increase in overall lack of civility. Beggars outside nearly every large public event and at many road interchanges, outside banks, etc.. in clear contravention of the SSA.

Keep shaking your fist at those clouds, Admiral.

EDIT: I have this scene in my head of you approaching someone who is in a desperately bad life situation, and, looking down at them as they lay on the sidewalk in ruin, completely tone-deaf, you say: "I realize you are struggling, sir, but could you please at least try to struggle with some dignity!"

There are ways our society can try to help people in that type of situation. If you cared about making their situation better, you would advocate for that. But instead, your approach is to seek pity for yourself. Since you seem to lack the self-awareness to hear how your posts sound, let me be clear that the irony here is that you likely don't know a level of struggle and feeling trapped or hopelessness that even approximates theirs. You may not like the nuisance behaviour that can come with the territory, nobody does. But you sound absolutely tone-deaf and frankly I am more embarrassed for you than for those people.

Last edited:
Shoplifters already work in a cashless environment.
Old solution was to put the product away from the customer so it can't be stolen.

maxresdefault.jpg

LCBO%201965.JPG

Ah Consumers Distributing. Anyone else remember them? As I try not to veer too off topic, but it was of course the one store that NEVER has what you wanted. Ever. But seriously their businesses model worked well to prevent shoplifting, maybe they should have been an model for the anti-shoplifting business ?

There are ways our society can try to help people in that type of situation. If you cared about making their situation better, you would advocate for that.
There is only one way to make the situation for those who truly live on the streets; housing. Permanent housing, and when necessary for those with mental health or addiction issues, supportive group housing. And I would gladly pay the taxes and vote for the parties to make that happen.

Not being NIMBY at all, my only preference is not to have ALL of the housing downtown, but to spread the housing about the city and ideally the province so we all share in both the benefits and sometimes the impacts. Unless you're from the city, there is not reason other than proximity to health services for most homeless people to live downtown, so let's put the services also where the new province wide supportive housing goes. Ideally you want people to live close to their families or wherever they're from or most comfortable, and for many that may not be downtown Toronto. We also need proper mental health services for those on the streets, including stopping to use emergency shelters for housing mentally ill, but instead we should have some sort of emergency mental care housing, not a Bedlam-like Victorian asylum, but a place for true help for those who can't or won't help themselves. Lastly, the Feds need to take responsibility for housing refugees, and not dumping them onto the streets and emergency shelters.

And then, when we have the housing solutions, I want to see an end to panhandling, squeegee antics, etc. But how do we bring that about? Will we ever have a national housing strategy? I doubt it. So, I'll have to accept the city as it is, though I suppose the eventual move to cashless society may curtail the panhandling.
I am more embarrassed for you than for those people.
I don't know you, nor care for your esteem or approval, so I can live with that.

Last edited:
Ah Consumers Distributing. Anyone else remember them? As I try not to veer too off topic, but it was of course the one store that NEVER has what you wanted. Ever. But seriously their businesses model worked well to prevent shoplifting, maybe they should have been an model for the anti-shoplifting business ?
Amazon's business model also prevents shoplifting.

Amazon's business model also prevents shoplifting.
It is interesting to consider how our miscreant-leaning neighbours will make their living when the electronic age eradicates both the cash to beg and the retail goods to steal. I suppose in this brave new world that fentanyl will thin the herd. I'm going to hide under my bed now.

Back