Member Bio
Reaction score
http://yourhome.ca/homes/article/412623

A tale of two Danforths
Celebrated street loses its pedestrian-savvy identity east of Pape
April 12, 2008

Christopher Hume
TORONTO STAR

It is the best of Toronto; it is the worst of Toronto. Danforth Ave. is one of those streets that reminds us of how much the city has to offer. But it's also one of those streets that does enormous damage to the city. Starting at Broadview Ave., Danforth is a fully cosmopolitan artery, busy but still full of pedestrians and human-scale development. Indeed, most of the buildings that line Danforth are two and three storeys tall. In fact, they could – maybe should – be taller. This, of course, is Greektown, a neighbourhood so successful in its own way that it verges on being touristic. But so far it hasn't crossed over that line; the locals are still there.

Then somewhere around Pape Ave., Danforth changes. By the time it hits Jones Ave., the change is complete. The vitality and urbanity disappear and instead we find a more desolate precinct more suited to the needs of cars than people. Interestingly, the number of traffic lanes goes from one in each direction west of Pape to two east of Pape.

Generally speaking, the quality of the architecture declines the farther east one travels. The buildings here are newer and as so often seems the case, considerably less interesting. So it's not surprising that the most interesting stretches of Danforth are the oldest. They date roughly from 1906 to 1920, a time when every bank announced its presence by building a beaux-arts landmark on the biggest corner available. A number are still standing, and remain as impressive as ever.

Until several decades ago, this was an area served by streetcars; now the subway, which has had remarkably little effect on things, has replaced them. East of Jones, Danforth still feels remote and unconnected, even though it's anything but. One might expect that at some point, the street would become an ideal candidate for intensification, not necessarily high-rise, but perhaps four to six storeys.

It's also worth pointing out that there's a celebrated IGA at Pape and Danforth. It's famous as the supermarket that has no parking lot, but which delivers. Though it's easy to forget, there was a time when stores delivered. That meant we didn't have to drive to shop; as obvious as this may seem, it's good to be reminded at a time when every merchant feels business can't succeed without parking for all.

Hume may be a bit nutty, but he's right about this. When the car became king, urban development went down the shitter. So developers, hands off our old (successful) neighbourhoods.

a good, brief and straight to the point article. though one fear is that the landmark bank buildings on main corners are often the first targets for developers...

I enjoyed showing "Greek Town" to an American friend who visited last summer. Ironically we had Spanish Tapas at the corner of Broadview...

I disagree that the "Danforth" ends at Jones, I'd extend it to Greenwood. There's an amazing middle eastern pocket between Donlands and Greenwood with is a flurry of activity 24/7. Also a great watering hole at the Only Cafe by Donlands.

Heck, you could even argue that it ends over at Shoppers World at Vic Park. From Broadview to Main you have shop after shop, no stripmalls or the sort.

Desolate?

The more I read Hume, the more he sounds like an old crank who likes to gripe for the sake of griping.

I live around Danforth and Coxwell. The area is full of little fruit and vegetable stores, bakeries and flower shops. One of the best butchers in Toronto is between Coxwell and Woodbine. The two or three storey development extends all the way past Main Street.

The area doesn't have the tourist draw of Greektown, but it is a solid community with all ammenities within a ten-minute walk. It is not a 'Destination', but it serves the middle-class families around here very well. To call it a desolate area where the car is king is ridiculous. What a crank.

Hume is off his meds

Danforth Avenue was a couple of miles of tacky strip malls before strip malls were invented and still is.

I used to frequent the many movie theatres as a kid 60 years ago, there was nothing else on the street of interest to a 12 year old.

Fast forward 10 years and the movies were still a draw but competed now with the Beer parlours and gaudy used car lots, still nothing else of note.

Fast forward to today, the movies and car lots are gone and have been replaced with more nothing.

Sorry car haters but the automobile has nothing to do with the sorry state of most of Toronto's major streets they have always looked like they do today. People accepted the situation and just got on with their lives, they didn't have pretentious twits like Hume to shame them.

Donning his Hazmat suit
Spider

If one walks from Yonge St to Victoria, you can see where and how fast Bloor-Danforth goes down hill around Jones Ave.

Some will say the BD subway had a lot to do with this.

This area is a 1-3 level store/commercial/residential area. There are large number of store who have die over time as well building becoming run down. Then there are a number of parking lots.

If this section was 3-6 stories, there maybe more street life than there is now.

Even the Greek section has issues for maintaining business.

This area is mostly low density in the first place on either side of Danforth within 1,000 feet plus.

Why do you think Chester is a low ridership station in the first place?

Why do you think Chester is a low ridership station in the first place?

Because it's the only B-D station without a connecting bus route? (Or the only station in the entire system, if you count the Yonge and Sheppard buses as connectors.)

Given that, Chester's probably now got a fortuitously *higher* ridership than it, uh, "merits", thanks to its proximity to Carrot Common, et al.

Another thing to remember about the Danforth: car-orientation is in the blood. Half a century ago or more, this was known as Toronto's middle-class auto dealership row--and the legacy shows in the patchwork development...

I have to admit I like the eastern stretch of the Danforth; it's one of the few major streets in the central 416 which still retains a genuine immigrant/ethnic vibe with little sign of serious gentrification (Magic Oven and Starbucks notwithstanding). While the western Danny is undoubtedly a fantastic strip, even Hume has to admit it's really getting a bit generic Toronto yuppie high street. Take away the remaining Greek stuff and it could be Queen East or Bloor West or Yonge north of Eglinton....etc.

allabootmatt, you are quite correct and Hume's article would have been strengthened by acknowledging the Muslim/East Indian vibe of the eastern portion of the Danforth. It's definitely uglier than the western bits, with less redeeming architecture, but the fact that there is space there for communities to grow and find their niche in central Toronto, on the subway no less, is quite remarkable and is one of keys to success in our town.

It's not all about how pretty things are.

When I lived on Eaton Avenue ( Pape/Danforth ) in 1976, the pre-gentrified Danforth between Broadview and Pape was still different from the stretch of Danforth that ran east of Pape.

Between Pape and Chester it was home to some truly awful Greek restaurants ( as bad as those in Greece ), where traditional Greek food stewed for hours on those hot-plate things. Between Chester and Broadview it was mostly ancient WASP-y stores - hardware stores, a bigger Thuna, clothing stores for women that had plaster dummies in the windows with noses chipped off and fingers missing and ill-fitting blouses and skirts and tweedy jackets draped over.

The sign outside the cheese shop at Pape subway station that asked, "Have you bought Salami and Cheese today?" survived until comparatively recently - and captured the spirit of the old neighbourhood. There was a 24-hour fruit and vegetable market just to the south of the subway ( there's a similar place there now ). Later he moved to the south side of the Danforth just west of the IGA at the corner of the street, then closed down and was replaced with another fruit and veggie market which in turn closed down completely and now the space is, I think, a second-hand clothing emporium.

The sign outside the cheese shop at Pape subway station that asked, "Have you bought Salami and Cheese today?" survived until comparatively recently - and captured the spirit of the old neighbourhood.

I wish Tim's could set up a "Have you bought Coffee and Donuts today?" sign in that same spirit...

I miss the many mom and pop bakeries that flourished on Danforth Av. I remember Mom giving me a quarter or two to buy a loaf of bread at 7 Star Bakery close to Ferrier Ave. It was so fresh, I ate half of it by the time I got home. We used to go over to the Pallas Bakery by Pape and hang out and enjoy the fresh aroma of just baked goodies. They used to have samples a plenty. I remember the baker used to make these cakes shaped like City Hall and MLG and have them on display. I can still smell those honey cakes. :)

The Danforth sure has changed... I miss the cheese store in the subway or the recently closed Circle Burgers on Pape, best fries and gravy. Bring back Louis Submarine, the Palace Theatre, Bargain Harolds and the McDonalds chairs that were in the original Mr Greek.

And can't we please put Taste of the Danforth back to a few hundred people in Withrow park? I also miss the original Athenia pastries.... hmmmm soo gooooood.

Back