News   Jul 31, 2024
 49     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 281     1 

Hume on the Danforth

Or maybe insist that the Danforth BIA - who are the only locals who benefit from it - pay the entire cost of cleaning up the mess when Buy Up The Danforth is over?

There used to be a really good fish restaurant - the Round Window - on the south side of the Danny just east of Pape some 20 years ago. Also, in the days when real Post Offices existed, that little deco-ish one near there was nice to visit.

I still find it hilarious that people will line up for 20 minutes just for a souvlaki on a stick and double the price no less....
...I try and stay as far away from the Danforth that weekend every year with good reason, well except for an early morning walk down the stretch

If one walks from Yonge St to Victoria, you can see where and how fast Bloor-Danforth goes down hill

Seriously, after the Manulife building the rest of the block just goes straight to hell!! Sorry, couldn't resist. I know you meant Vic Park, I'm just trying to amuse myself in the midst of an exhaustive exam schedule.

I walked along this stretch from Coxwell to Vic Park (almost) for the first time. It was at 4 in the morning and the 300 bus was nowhere in sight (arrived 45 minutes later, by that time I was one stop from VP). The stretch felt like Yonge north of Finch. Not being totally familiar with the area I was quite shocked since I assumed Danforth kept some of the charm that exists further west. It was after 4 am so anywhere can feel desolate at that time

There's still the last vestiges of the Danforth's Italian community in a strip just a little west of Woodbine on the north side of The Danny.

Yes, they're almost entirely from Pachino, Sicily (the site of the Allies' landing during WWII). Most are gone though, as evidenced by the boarded up storefronts. The last worthwhile business is Northpole Bakery. Nothing special to look at but they make excellent cannoli.

I saw a recent article in the Globe how they're going to convert the old Roxy Theatre to a gas station convenience store. What a shame. Remember seeing the Ten Commandments and God Father Part I (in Italian). I've been predicting for years this area's revival. Can't quite understand why it's not happening.

I saw Pink Flamingoes at the Roxy in the mid-'70s. Didn't know that about Pachino though. I had a very nice lunch ( excellent seafood ) in a quiet little village at the southernmost tip of Sicily on my trip in '99. To the north, there's a ruined Roman-era McMansion at Piazza Armerina, with beautiful mosaic floors, that I'd love to go back to see again. I think some high-level Roman bureaucrat was given early retirement by the Emperor and sent there.

Yes, they're almost entirely from Pachino, Sicily (the site of the Allies' landing during WWII). Most are gone though, as evidenced by the boarded up storefronts. The last worthwhile business is Northpole Bakery. Nothing special to look at but they make excellent cannoli.
I think Liberal MP Maria Mina "might" be part of this community judging by her last name and where her constituency office is.

Back