News   Jul 15, 2024
 743     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 897     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 631     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

Google Thom Browne and you'll understand.

200961102142.gif

This is what happens after years of baggy, sloppy pant breaks covering shoes like bootcut jeans.

Last edited:
... just as when M. Hulot, with his tight, too-short trousers replaced Charlie Chaplin with his loose, oversized pants, in the public imagination during the 1950s.

David Bowie wore tight suits with the short pants long before it was "cool"

And in the 70s, we called 'em flood pants. :)

Fashion is cyclical; everything comes back in with a new twist.

The difference between these and flood pants is the silm silhouette and socklessness. Flashing some ankle in the summer is cool, but I prefer to roll the legs (just once or twice, haphazardly). Thom's cut is a bit too adventurous for me.

With the chunky shoes and loose legs we're used to seeing around here, yeah, it would look scary (or point-and-laugh funny).

Yes but in the 70s it was only geeks and dweebs that wore floods, no? In the 60s it was very mod' to wear drainpipes.

I think it's been an Italian thing for quite a while. I'm certain that what we're seeing today is a sartorial import from Italy, versus what we saw in the '70s and '80s, which was just lackadaisical geek chic.

Last edited:
Do we know what date Topshop/Topman start sales at the Queen Street HBC store?

October right? Do we know which day?

They're already selling TopMan. I was there today during lunch. Second floor, across the hall from the big Levi's section.

Do we know what date Topshop/Topman start sales at the Queen Street HBC store?

October right? Do we know which day?

I've asked that very question on the Topman Canada and HBC facebook pages. The question was ignored by Topman Canada, and "non-answered" on the HBC page by telling me about the opening of two more capsule (preview) shops in Calgary and Vancouver.

All we know, then, is that the Yorkdale store-within-a-store is opening sometime in "Fall 2011" (the original press release said September 2011, but recent references have been more vague).

Interestingly, they are starting to do work on the west end of the first floor of the Queen Street Store. The old customer service department has been moved elsewhere. While this activity might have nothing to do with Topshop/Topman, it is possible that this will be the location of the Topman store in the Queen Street Bay, given that it has street access and is within the overall men's department.

Back