News   Jul 15, 2024
 741     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 895     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 630     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

Right there. That's why The Bay (for men anyway) will never be what it can be and will only ever appeal to the 55+ suburbanite who really needs a new pair of pleated khakis. Ugh.

Have you seen some of the renovated space in the men's department (second floor) in the Bay store at Queen and Yonge (which they are also implementing in other stores)? Where it strikes your fancy or not, your description is a pretty gross overgeneralization/exagerration.

I do agree with you, however, that the return of Tommy Hilfiger is yawn-inducing.

IIRC there used to be an Outfitters at Yonge & Shuter on the northeast corner. They shut it down even tho it was making $ but I can't remember why.

That wasn't Home Outfitters. That was HBC Outfitters, a completely different concept. HBC Outfitters had a woodsy, outdoorsy look, and it sold an odd mix of casual wear, camping equipment, canoes, Canadiana and HBC blankets. Imagine the love child of MEC, Bass Pro and today's HBC signature shops. When new management came in, they killed it (it never expanded beyond the one store at Shuter and Yonge).

Have you seen some of the renovated space in the men's department (second floor) in the Bay store at Queen and Yonge (which they are also implementing in other stores)? Where it strikes your fancy or not, your description is a pretty gross overgeneralization/exagerration.

I do agree with you, however, that the return of Tommy Hilfiger is yawn-inducing.

Oh, I've seen it and I like it. But, it's not enough. The downstairs is the same Nautica, etc, lines and the second floor is still pretty much the same Levis, Buffalo stuff. The new Ben Sherman section is nice as is the suit department; but, for affordable (Ben Sherman is not affordable according to my pocket book), stylish (Levis, Buffalo, Nautica? No.) everyday wear they have far to go. I am happy Topman is coming in for that purpose. There's always a sense of 'holding back' when it comes to men's departments; probably because the creative team is too busy with the women's department. Compare the women's 3rd floor (the Room area) to the men's area. Obviously they know where their money is. It's not a Bay problem, all department stores in North America (not too bad in Europe) treat their men's section as an afterthought. Hopefully Topman will be successful.

I would agree that men's ware is incredibly stale, but it's pretty stale everywhere... even in Europe. They have their 'look' over there for men's ware but it is all pretty much one note, unless you're talking the super high-end stuff.

That wasn't Home Outfitters. That was HBC Outfitters, a completely different concept. HBC Outfitters had a woodsy, outdoorsy look, and it sold an odd mix of casual wear, camping equipment, canoes, Canadiana and HBC blankets. Imagine the love child of MEC, Bass Pro and today's HBC signature shops. When new management came in, they killed it (it never expanded beyond the one store at Shuter and Yonge).

And the saddest thing is, they blitzed the Silver Rail on behalf of creating that joint...

Oh, I've seen it and I like it. But, it's not enough. The downstairs is the same Nautica, etc, lines and the second floor is still pretty much the same Levis, Buffalo stuff. The new Ben Sherman section is nice as is the suit department; but, for affordable (Ben Sherman is not affordable according to my pocket book), stylish (Levis, Buffalo, Nautica? No.) everyday wear they have far to go. I am happy Topman is coming in for that purpose. There's always a sense of 'holding back' when it comes to men's departments; probably because the creative team is too busy with the women's department. Compare the women's 3rd floor (the Room area) to the men's area. Obviously they know where their money is. It's not a Bay problem, all department stores in North America (not too bad in Europe) treat their men's section as an afterthought. Hopefully Topman will be successful.

That's an insightful comment, a far cry from the exageration that only retirees (or near retirees) looking for pleated pants need shop at the Bay. As with the rest of the store, they are making changes incrementally, and maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, the "zellers money" will start to kick in soon.

At a certain level, it is the North American male, rather than the North American department store, that is at fault.

That's an insightful comment, a far cry from the exageration that only retirees (or near retirees) looking for pleated pants need shop at the Bay. As with the rest of the store, they are making changes incrementally, and maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, the "zellers money" will start to kick in soon.

At a certain level, it is the North American male, rather than the North American department store, that is at fault.

North American straight male. ;o) However, 'if they build it, they will come'. If they provided an option outside of the said pleated khakis and golf shirts — tastes may improve (especially if the price is right).

Hilfiger has actually been producing some great American classic ivy-league prep stuff (if you're into that) in brilliant colours with slimmed/tailored cuts . I haven't seen what The Bay is carrying, but the brand has improved dramatically since the frumpy Chaps era.

If their buyers are smart, they'll try to attract limited lines like these: http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2010/11/tommy-hilfiger.html

Last edited:
I feel the new buyers are actually doing pretty well. Bringing in brands like Surface 2 Air, Klaxon Howl & Opening ceremony. Definitely getting more fashion forward and young.

The Bay needs to advertise these new clothing lines more...the crowd that likes that type of clothing don't shop often places like The Bay and prob aren't aware that they are carrying those brands..

Agreed. The only way you'd know about it is by walking through the mens department, which is a several escalator rides above the concourse level, which is still full of blousy office shirts and wide-ass ties, which provides zero incentive to explore the rest of the store. Are they trying to keep it a secret?

Agreed. The only way you'd know about it is by walking through the mens department, which is a several escalator rides above the concourse level, which is still full of blousy office shirts and wide-ass ties, which provides zero incentive to explore the rest of the store. Are they trying to keep it a secret?

If you're talking about the Queen St. Bay, there is a substantial piece of the men's department on the main floor (one up from the lowest, or concourse, level), with the rest up on the second floor (which is where the walkway to the Eaton Centre connects). It's actually the women's clothing departments that are up a few escalator rides.

Back