News   Jul 03, 2024
 346     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 988     2 

Hudson's Bay Company

Retailers are carrying less inventory. Its a way to avoid the deep discounts they had to make last year. You'll even find that outlets have less turn over in merchandise as well.

That's a given, but it doesn't mean they have to skimp on their presentation. Considering they've kept floorspace for some pretty useless sections (the entire 6th floor with furniture is almost always completely deserted). They've implemented a less coherent floorplan and eliminated a lot of the stuff people like to see. All they've done is make their sales job more difficult.

That's a given, but it doesn't mean they have to skimp on their presentation. Considering they've kept floorspace for some pretty useless sections (the entire 6th floor with furniture is almost always completely deserted). They've implemented a less coherent floorplan and eliminated a lot of the stuff people like to see. All they've done is make their sales job more difficult.
What would you have wanted to see them do differently with respect to that particular store? Example: "Move such and such merchandise here. Improve presentation by doing such and such".

"Should be complete in 16 months."

During which time HBC will have exchanged hands 16 times.

Eaton's tried to make themselves more upscale (remember that?) and within a year they were bought out by Sears.

Trying to make their brand more upscale is a HUGE mistake and will only end with Canada's oldest (?) department store finally getting the axe.

I don't know if it's such a mistake... It had gone downscale over the years, especially in the clothing department - or perhaps it's clothing in general that has gone downscale. Things so badly made and cheap in which I wouldn't have been caught dead in my 20s pass for high fashion these days. From what I've seen so far though, it's worse than before: not a lot of good quality clothes for men in their 40s, fewer brands, more Hugo Boss (high price, very poor workmanship).

From what I've seen so far though, it's worse than before: not a lot of good quality clothes for men in their 40s, fewer brands, more Hugo Boss (high price, very poor workmanship).

Huh? At what Bay are you shopping? Lol. The Bay to me is for men over 45 who are into golf shirts and pleated khakis from Nautica. I don't even see the point of a men's department at The Bay, to tell you the truth. Those kinds of clothes can easily be bought at GAP or Old Navy or R&W for the same price or far cheaper. If they do go upscale, they're going to have to get to the level of Holts (I'm more of an H&M guy, so I still wouldn't shop at The Bay) and I don't know if Toronto can handle two upscale department stores; as sophisticated as we pretend to be we really are more provincial and practical when it comes to fashion (especially with men's fashion).

I truly hope it works for them 'cause I'd hate to see the The Bay go.

I don't shop there - at least, not anymore, since I'm not into pleated khakis either! But it used to be better years ago, for instance in their West End section.

Historic Arcadian Court gets a makeover

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/932026--historic-arcadian-court-gets-a-makeover

February 02, 2011

Dana Flavelle

Legendary broadcaster Gordon Sinclair threatened to “put on a show†here featuring “a few wild men of Borneo†and “any number of baboons and orangutans†from his trip through India and Asia in the 1930s.

“Here†referred to the Arcadian Court, the stunning Art Deco restaurant and event space that occupied the eighth floor of what was then Simpsons department store on Queen St., in downtown Toronto.

The late Sinclair never made good on his promise. But the elegant gathering place, which opened in March 1929, enjoyed many other firsts in its heyday.

It played host to Canada’s first Auto show. The Toronto Symphony recorded its first radio broadcasts here. And Sotheby’s held its first auction outside Great Britain here.

Now part of the flagship Bay store, the current owners say they plan to restore the Arcadian Court to its former glory, the next step in breathing life back into the department store chain, a once fading Canadian icon.

The plan for the Arcadian Court is part of a larger deal the Bay has struck with upscale local restaurateur Oliver & Bonacini and global foodservice firm Compass Group Canada to make over the restaurants in all 24 Bay stores that offer foodservice.

“We’re so excited to have this happen,†Bay president and chief executive officer Bonnie Brooks said in an interview. “It’s going to dovetail with what we’ve been doing for the last two years, with the Bay’s strategy of modernizing and becoming more relevant to the Bay customer.â€

In her two years at the helm, the Canadian-born, international retail executive has brought in edgy and exclusive new brands, regained The Room’s reputation for high fashion, and generated international buzz around unique HBC brand items, such as its striped cashmere hot water bottle.

The restaurants were previously operated in-house by the Bay’s sister chain, Zellers, a discount department retailer. The move is unrelated to the announcement most of Zellers’ leaseholds are being sold to U.S.-based rival Target Corp., the Bay said.

Plans to renovate the Bay’s restaurants have been in the works for more than a year, the Bay said. Employees of the Bay’s current foodservices will be offered jobs with the new operators, the retailer said

The plans for the Bay on Queen include a new 4,000 square foot floor restaurant, on the corner of Queen and Bay, where Timothy’s coffee is now located, as well as a lower Food Hall inside the store, featuring a chocolate bar, pasta bar and other exclusives, the retailer said.

Upstairs next to the Arcadian Court, the retailer plans to create a new event and meeting space, tentatively called The Loft, which will cater to both business and social occasions of various sizes.

Construction is scheduled to begin in April and end 16 months later.

Oliver & Bonacini will be involved in the restaurant makeovers in the Bay’s flagship stores, including the one in Toronto’s Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver, while Compass Canada will handle the smaller markets, the retailer said.

For Peter Oliver and Michael Bonacini, who together operate 11 restaurants plus two events spaces, the deal represents a significant expansion to their business.

Their present locations, all in Ontario, include such high-end hot spots as Jump and Canoe, as well as more casual concepts, such as its O&B Canteen in the TIFF Bell Lightbox.

Compass, part of part of an international organization whose restaurants include C5 in the Royal Ontario Museum, brings deep financial pockets to the venture.

The two food companies will be renting space from the Bay. Brooks described the deal as a partnership.

The announcement also confirmed earlier comments by the Bay’s owner, NRDC Equity Partners, a New York-based private equity firm, that it plans to continue investing in the department store chain.

65769e7340bfa105de55c38d6490.jpeg

Last edited:
I really hope "restore to its former glory" means a restoration to its former decor scheme as well. That combined with great food would be a real winner.

Under the circumstances, it's worth reflecting on how its most recent makeover (which, I suppose, was intended in a "restore to former glory" spirit, relative to the earlier 60s makeover) was an utter dud--not simply for being kinda "postmodern", but for being so beige middlebrow to the point where it instantly looked tireder than it *ever* had been...yeah, just the thing for a declining department-store retail model...

I really hope "restore to its former glory" means a restoration to its former decor scheme as well. That combined with great food would be a real winner.

According to their press release, "Phase Three, the renovation of Arcadian Court, begins January 2012, with its re-opening date slated for April 2012."

I wonder just how much they can accomplish in such a short time.

By the way, there is nothing whatsoever in the press release about the Yonge and Bloor store.

By the way, there is nothing whatsoever in the press release about the Yonge and Bloor store.

With the exception of Queen and Yorkdale among the flagships stores, the article doesn't mention any specific locations. Yonge & Bloor only has a small cafeteria on the top floor and may be categorised with the 'non-flagships'.

"The plans for the Bay on Queen include a new 4,000 square foot floor restaurant, on the corner of Queen and Bay, where Timothy’s coffee is now located, as well as a lower Food Hall inside the store, featuring a chocolate bar, pasta bar and other exclusives, the retailer said."

They're going to stick in the basement? Where the linen and appliances currently are? Aesthetically, it won't be anything grand. Low ceilings. Very cramped. And, who's going to want to buy linen thats sat next to a restaurant? Not a good mix. Maybe I've go the layout wrong? But, it will at least see a lot of traffic as it's next to the subway entrance.

Back