News   Jul 26, 2024
 90     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 823     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 714     0 

How to find jobs downtown?

Well, I start my new job end of May, but it's at McCowan and Steeles, so I guess I'm still car dependent. It's a great job, massive global company, with a defined benefit pension, and opportunities for overseas transfers and travel, etc. I may still find that perfect downtown role, but they all seemed to be in law, finance/banking, government and education.

Admiral - your right about that, I work in the core for a bank, and walk to work, I have the frog which costs a certain amount to run, but essentially compared to my last role(in London,UK) am paid less money, but don't use a car to commute, so end up ahead, as I manage to actually save money each month.

Hope the new job goes well.....

Well, I start my new job end of May, but it's at McCowan and Steeles

congratulations. I hope some of our advice came in handy. Even though it's not dt, tell us how u found the job for our future benefit.

McCowan & Steeles area eh? that's still accessible by ttc, if you're willing to travel at least 1 hour each way ;)

It's actually at McCowan and 14th Ave, just north of Steeles. So far the drive up the DVP and along the 401 up McCowan has been great. It takes me about 35-40 minutes each way, just enough time to drink my morning tea and get into my books on CD from the library, right now listening to John Grisham's "The Appeal".

I got lucky. I was able to bring my US job to Canada. It's the first time in my life I get to walk to work.

You may NOT want to do as I did, but 15 years ago I walked from Yonge and Eg all the way down to the core and then all around the core checking the tenant directory of each large office building. I then contacted companies who I thought I might be a fit/like to work for.

You're welcome.:)

There's something called the Blue Book (I think) that lists address by address companies all over the city (and Canada?) as well as by business field. I remember hearing about it 2 yrs ago when I was on unemployment. It is a very expensive book to buy, however most Gov't funded job assistance agencies should hold a copy at their locations. You can basically start at Yonge and King going from building to building, much like you did 15 yrs ago, but in a fraction of the time.

Back