News   Jul 26, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Homelessness and Panhandling in Toronto

Your opinion is wrong. As usual.

Opinions can't be wrong (or right), silly goose. But your hatred for the Admiral is pretty clear, so I think we get the message. Instead of posting silly comments you should just learn to bottle your hatred up like everyone else.

Well, if think that his opinion that you commit crimes everyday is correct, then you can allow him to say that about you uncorrected. I won't allow it to be said about me.

Do you also think his racist opinions aren't wrong?

Well, if think that his opinion that you commit crimes everyday is correct, then you can allow him to say that about you uncorrected. I won't allow it to be said about me.

Do you also think his racist opinions aren't wrong?

I don't like to participate in arguements on forums. In fact, I shouldn't even be writing this, because I have a personal rule where I only post one off-topic reply per thread. I like to read about the topic of the forum; I get irritated when there are pages and pages of people fighting about uninteresting things. Some people have wacky opinions that will probably never change. I just ignore them and check back on the thread later to see if there's something new and on-topic. I'm just a guy who likes Toronto and wants to read lots about it while occasionally sharing some of my thoughts.

There 3 types of street people:

1. Former mental health patients
people who are/have suffering from a mental ailment of some sort or another, and have been dumped onto the street due to lack of funding from the government, these people usually are institutionalized and are unable to function in society, these people are usually quite harmless.
It always saddens me to see these vulnerable folks walking the streets. Surely there is something we can do to help, but I can't think of the best solution. Obviously forced institutionalization or forced medication dosage can not be sanctioned, but what can we do? I know I'm opening myself up to a Andrea-flame, but one of my biggest personal fears is developing a mental illness and ending up on the streets. I don't fear death (though the dying process is likely to be feared) nor much else, but becoming mentally ill is scary. So, what do we do to help them?

You're the one that drones on and on about churchgoing. What did Christ say to do?
I do not drone on about church going.

Just to confirm, I've searched all my posts for anything to do with churches http://www.urbantoronto.ca/search.php?searchid=42833 and found only four instances where I've mentioned anything about churches, and didn't talk about religion, but was instead replying on the topics of:

- Cathedraltown...suburbia with a twist
- Pride 2007
- Teeple's Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
- Star: A prayer for the city's great churches

Why are you picking on Christians anyway? First you referred to Harperite Christians and now this? If anyone else mentioned anything about Islam or Judaism you'd be all over them. Why the difference for Christians?

AdmiralBeez... You have a right to talk about churches, religion and anything else for that matter... Don't let anyone's differing views bully you into submission. I honestly don't understand why you feel it so important to respond to AP's constant pulling of your chain. The more you react, the more AP will pull each time.

Homelessness in Toronto...My thoughts....

Everyone: I read thru all the pages on this topic and I do agree that substance abuse is the biggest problem when it comes to being homeless in any major city-these people now charged with murder were substance abusers. Yes,UMG I agree with you-addicts and drifters who abuse alcohol or drugs are the biggest problem group-they bring problems for the down and out poor and the mentally disturbed-I saw myself that problems developed when NYS-I live near a former State Hospital here on LI-when the mentally disturbed were discharged in groups into a community-NYS chartered group homes-at times with big time NIMBY opposition-or they were dumped into communities.
That young woman who had the California criminal record and was known by an alias-obviously had probably never had felony convictions on her record-otherwise that would have red-flagged her at Customs. By the way,Santa Cruz,CA has the USAs highest per-capita housing prices-she was obviously a product of that area's very liberal attitudes and upbringing. I have no sympathy for the accused-I understand that the victim was no saint but this was a totally unnecessary death in my eyes!
How bad is crack on the streets of Toronto? Anybody who remembers the late 80s crack epidemic in the USA like me should be VERY concerned-this is the worst poison to me!
I sometimes will offer-like the young lady looking for GO train fare-to purchase or give an extra rail ticket if someone asks me to ride the LIRR for example-if they shy away or turn me down that beggar is looking for some money for something else....
In closing I hope that something is done about the blatant drug problem-Toronto (or any other city) depends on it-cooler heads should prevail!!!!
LI MIKE

AdmiralBeez... You have a right to talk about churches, religion and anything else for that matter... Don't let anyone's differing views bully you into submission. I honestly don't understand why you feel it so important to respond to AP's constant pulling of your chain. The more you react, the more AP will pull each time.
Well said NT, thanks. Will take your advice.

"Obviously forced institutionalization or forced medication dosage can not be sanctioned, but what can we do?"

Some people need intervention. Simply letting people do what they want whenever and wherever they want want is not a good solution for anybody.

I think we need to be more aggressive with this problems.

These problem needs to be dealt with hard fists and warming hugs.

What i mean we should put down an Iron fist on aggressive and fraudulent panhandlers.

Then we should give out warming hugs and really help the true homeless who really can't provide for themselves...

Why are you picking on Christians anyway? First you referred to Harperite Christians and now this? If anyone else mentioned anything about Islam or Judaism you'd be all over them. Why the difference for Christians?

I didn't say anything about Christians. I mentioned Haperite Christianists, which are people who are to Christianity what muslim extremists are to Islam.

As for your constant droning, we've all read plenty about your going to church, your church in Cabbagetown, your pride in being going to church, all the usual right wing puffery.

As opposed to your constant droning in the US/AP threads and others, and your tiresome, predictable, self-righteous usual *left*-wing puffery? I don't think you realize how similar you and Beez are. I often wonder if the two of you are actually the same poster who suffers from multiple personality disorder.

real right wing xtians--ie mennonites, amish, baptists and scottish free presbyterians--don't believe in voting, city living or (many) in the internet. phony right wing xtians are ultimately harmless creatures--too hypocritical and self righteous/self absorbed to make any meaningful difference in the poor-rich balance. Where does the Salvation Army fit into this spectrum? In many ways their beliefs are rigid and conservative but they are building shelters, they do actively help the poor/homeless, blah blah blah. So while the Sally Ann religion is puzzling to me, their actions are by far the most organized of any religion in NA; they don't care what religious background you come from--they help all.

There's more to be said--but I'm out of breath....

Back