News   Jul 16, 2024
 673     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Homelessness and Panhandling in Toronto

Alright stop being a smartass and give me a proper solution to this problem. Quoting Albert Einstein won't stop aggressive panhandlers.

Well i don't care what you say, my prejudices are based of experience first hand and from the words from the police chief of Toronto himself.

They are much better then some smart ass posts trying to not even solve the problem.

The part you clearly miss is that panhandling is not so much a problem, but a symptom of a number of problems - personal and societal. As such, there is no single solution.

And no, quoting Einstein won't stop aggressive panhandling - nor was it meant to. The paraphrase was employed to indicate that actions all too often founded upon perceptions of "common sense" use that term to candy-coat prejudicial beliefs and attitudes towards street people, homeless persons and panhandlers.

You actually cover this issue quite well by admitting that your own version of "common sense" is founded upon prejudicial attitudes which you apply to all people who panhandle.

TORONTO STAR's Jim Coyle on Panhandling

Begging the poverty question

Aug 28, 2007 04:30 AM
Jim Coyle

That's been some public mugging the down-and-out have taken the last few weeks.

The middle-class commentariat was practically aboil with fear and loathing at panhandlers after an out-of-town visitor was allegedly stabbed to death in an altercation with four transients.

The rhetoric was so dehumanizing – panhandlers as insects – it's as if in their own charmed lives the outraged have never known anyone brought low by mental illness, addiction, bad breaks and bad choices (the usual routes to the street).

But trust Tim Huff of Youth Unlimited, author of the recently published children's book The Cardboard Shack Beneath the Bridge, and a man former Lt.-Gov. Hilary Weston said knows most of the folks living under the Gardiner Expressway by name, to put it in perspective.

Huff was one of four Toronto outreach workers who tried to calm the hysteria among those who spill more in a week from their designer coffees than gets dropped into most outstretched paper cups.

Why, Huff and his colleagues wanted to know, in an instance of murder, was the focus on panhandling? Why was licence taken from one dreadful act to further stigmatize those already marginalized?

And if a crime by one member of a social cohort is reason for a blanket crackdown, why weren't there similar calls to ban the military after a homeless man was beaten to death a few years ago by reservists.

Yes, panhandling is annoying. Yes, some of it is done by able-bodied idlers. Yes, some of it (not least of all by hospitals and reputable charities) is aggressive. Yes, some of the take is bound for the nearest LCBO. And, no, the small change donated will hardly solve the large problems of a society of increasing economic apartheid.

But no one ever seriously said otherwise, ever considered small private charity a social policy or cure-all. If it provides temporary comfort to the recipient, fleeting satisfaction to the giver, and maybe, just maybe, helps someone back on their feet, that's enough.

Perhaps the most interesting squawk of indignation came from someone suggesting police ticket "bleeding hearts" spotted tossing coins to panhandlers.

Not least of the potential ramifications of such a measure, presumably, would be the Charter challenges that might ensue as to freedom of religion.

In Islam, almsgiving is a cardinal duty. "Give to the near of kin their due and also to the destitute and wayfarers," says the Qur'an. "(If) you lack the means to assist them, then at least speak to them kindly."

In Sikh gurdwaras are kept a community kitchen – a langar, taken from the Persian word for almsgiving – where the poor are given asylum; a symbol, beyond the tangible help, of equality and removing caste barriers.

At Jewish simchas, a place is often set for the needy, from the instruction in Nehemiah to "send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared."

To eliminate admonitions to charity from Christian texts would cut most volumes – and any account of Christ's teachings – by half. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

If, as has been said, the poor are always with us, giving to the poor seems to have been a core spiritual teaching in all cultures.

No holy book says to do this because it will eradicate poverty, or only if the donation will be spent in approved ways. They say do it because it is good and right.

Even if it really is a nuisance when we're trying to go shopping.

Jim Coyle usually appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Signed,
The (Thanks to Mr. Coyle for saying it in a way that I could not) Mississauga Muse

As an atheist, I don't give a flying shit what any contrived, moronic mythbook says about alms and whatnot. Giving money to a bum that helps him continue to be a bum is fucking moronic, as are the people who feel they can salvage their insipid, guilt-ridden middle-class conscience by doing so. Stupid article, stupid man.

Begging the poverty question

Aug 28, 2007 04:30 AM
Jim Coyle
Perhaps the most interesting squawk of indignation came from someone suggesting police ticket "bleeding hearts" spotted tossing coins to panhandlers.
I see no reason we can't have the police ticket those that toss coins to beggars in those places the Safe Streets Act says are illegal for panhandling, such at the roadside, where BTW I see beggars every day as I wait for the light at the Jarvis exit of the Gardiner Expressway. If it's illegal to panhandle next to the roadway, surely it should be an offence to be party to the panhandling, i.e. the giver of the money.

As an atheist, I don't give a flying shit what any contrived, moronic mythbook says about alms and whatnot. Giving money to a bum that helps him continue to be a bum is fucking moronic, as are the people who feel they can salvage their insipid, guilt-ridden middle-class conscience by doing so. Stupid article, stupid man.

Your ego likely has its own gravitational pull, no?

That the best you can contribute? I just don't see why people should contribute to a problem based on misplaced guilt and sense of charity.

Nope, I'm just not someone who thinks that giving money to people who refuse to work productively (and I'm talking here of the homeless who are young and able-bodied, *not* the clearly mentally ill or indigent) is a positive thing or somehow worthy or noble, for them or society as a whole. And I have no time for people who hand-ring and wonder if they're being hard-hearted to people who leech off of others. Charity shouldn't entail suspending judgment and common sense.

And if one wants to satisfy their charitable instincts, one should donate their loose change to organizations whose mandate is to improve the lot of homeless people, particularly those that help the mentally challenged who are on our streets. Flipping a quarter on a one-off basis to someone may make you feel good about yourself for a couple of minutes, but does nothing about the situation.

And if one wants to satisfy their charitable instincts, one should donate their loose change to organizations whose mandate is to improve the lot of homeless people, particularly those that help the mentally challenged who are on our streets. Flipping a quarter on a one-off basis to someone may make you feel good about yourself for a couple of minutes, but does nothing about the situation.
While I agree with your sentiment, I do feel that those that think we should direct funds away from beggars and toward organizations, rarely give anything at all to either. I'm certainly guilty of this, and am working to mend my ways in that regard.

rarely do you see attractive homeless.

maybe all they need is a makeover?

^That costs. I wonder if they'll get more spare change by looking for donations toward getting one?

Well, I'm agnostic (meaning I'm a waffler because the non-existence of God can't be proven anymore than his/her/its existence) --anyway,

"Giving money to a bum that helps him continue to be a bum is fucking moronic" agree. "as are the people who feel they can salvage their insipid, guilt-ridden middle-class conscience by doing so." also agree.

I've been following this thread closely because I've slept out in the open just like a homeless person and with homeless people right here on Maui. When we're waiting for this female sea turtle to crawl up to nest it demands we sleep outside in this park.

The homeless sleep there too. What with the way of mama turtles sometimes she forces two or three nights in a row out in the sand and the beach. And this is a balmy Maui beach and we have food and drink and blankets and a car we can hop into when it gets too "active".

These homeless here had it easy compared to Toronto --no winter for one tihng. Still, when we do our beach walk we see them crashed on bushes with the leaves as their "mattress", a shirt covering their face.

And we get them asking if we know "Baby Joe" or "Star" and of course we don't. And they just smile, wave thanks and wish us a good night.

It's not possible to sleep for any length of time without being awoken -because you know you're "exposed" and you'd be surprised how even at 3 am the beach has its wanderers.

But it's a benign place compared to January in Toronto. And I never knew any hardship while doing turtle beach duty. Just dead-dog fatigue because we'd often have to stay the entire night.

When the turtle finally did her thing we got into our bed and few people can appreciate a bed like someone who's been forced to do without.

Someone here mentioned that people should at least operate with the consensus that living out on the street isn't good for people. I agree with that.

Lordmandeep mentioned that the worst thing you can do is ignore a problem. I agree with that too --at least as it relates to the homeless.

I think it was Lordmandeep and others who said helping pandhandlers is like feeding animals. It creates its own set of problems. I know that's true from experience.

Yes, pandhandlers are a blight on the urban landscape. But so are many (far too many) of our politicians. And I don't hear anyone screaming for their removal or re-education.

I suspect the homeless are much like parapalegics. We don't actually like to see them around. Makes us uncormfortable...

Back