News   Jul 19, 2024
 595     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.8K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 898     2 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

That is an understatement.

I have been working on a comprehensive strategy for two years now, that involves improvements to Via services, and implementation of regular GO services along existing corridors in southwestern Ontario and Niagara. The long term vision is to eventually have high speed rail service that connects to the US via Detroit and Buffalo. It is based on existing infrastructure, making Via operations profitable, keeping prices low for lower income individuals, and implementing the system in stages. Instead, Glen Murray goes drawing (what I consider) arbitrary lines without any consultation on how the EA should be scoped. That's why I'm pissed off.

I'll be writing the mayors of the affected municipalities soon to try and get something moving.

As if any transportation initiative was ever based off of professional knowledge instead of political desire...:rolleyes:

We could also argue about this for 20 years and make plans for even longer and not build anything as well, though....Just a thought.

As if any transportation initiative was ever based off of professional knowledge instead of political desire...:rolleyes:

We could also argue about this for 20 years and make plans for even longer and not build anything as well, though....Just a thought.

No doubt. Look how far the last HSR study went.

I guess all I'm saying is I think there's a more feasible way to do it, if someone actually wants to do it.

edit: And this is just to agree on the broad strokes. If it went ahead and EAs/Detail Design were happening, I'd hope to see you guys providing input :)

It's sad that Hudak will cancel this. This would be the first major rail infrastructure project in nearly 50 years

As there has been no plans beyond fantasy maps and a left-field ministerial musing, it would be a stretch to qualify it as "cancelling" the project - practically zero dollars have been spent so far on studies, plans and construction. Not even a first round of public consultations.

As there has been no plans beyond fantasy maps and a left-field ministerial musing, it would be a stretch to qualify it as "cancelling" the project - practically zero dollars have been spent so far on studies, plans and construction. Not even a first round of public consultations.

Fair, but Kitchener to Toronto in 45 min would be amazing, eh :) ?

Indications from from Kitchener-Waterloo MPP Catherine Fife (NDP) indicate that the NDP see this large expenditure as promising too much. Fife is quoted as saying that the HSR plan amounts to electioneering and both opposition parties have called it a "fantasy"
No surprise there. The NDP would likely cancel most of the planned transit projects in the GHTA.

No surprise there. The NDP would likely cancel most of the planned transit projects in the GHTA.

As others have indicated....there is not much to cancel at this point. Probably the cost would be limited to the cost of a pencil eraser at the Grand and Toy going out of business sale. "Here, Glen, we should just rub these pretty lines out".

As others have indicated....there is not much to cancel at this point. Probably the cost would be limited to the cost of a pencil eraser at the Grand and Toy going out of business sale. "Here, Glen, we should just rub these pretty lines out".
This was funny enough to make me exhale out of my nose a little harder.

The only thing to cancel is anything being lined up to undertake an EA, if anything. I'm not sure how MTO staff operate when things are in election mode.

Sheppard East? Finch West? Scarborough SRT replacement? Bayshore East? Downtown Relief line? Yonge subway extension? Hurontario LRT? Not to mention the recent announcements.

Sheppard East? Finch West? Scarborough SRT replacement? Bayshore East? Downtown Relief line? Yonge subway extension? Hurontario LRT? Not to mention the recent announcements.

sorry....I was answering solely in the context of this particular project.

How long does it take for projects like this to get shovels in the ground? I'm just trying to gauge how likely it is that this project will proceed if the Liberals are reelected.

Back