News   Aug 07, 2024
 253     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 223     0 

Heritage Preservation and Aesthetic Judgment

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
The whole discussion around whether the porticos are too large or whatever is irrelevant. Heritage designation is not based solely or even primarily on the aesthetic merits of a building, but the policy overall is intended to preserve a record of where we have been as a city and to avoid monocultures of similar buildings that kill all sense of the past. It's best understood as an effort at retaining diversity.

The discussion around the Kenson makes me think of a bunch of prissy ecologists trying to make a decision on whether to let a species go extinct or not based on its "adorableness". No, that skink can go, it has ucky brown spots that clash - oh, they clash horribly - with the rest of it's skin colour.

Besides, if the aesthetic considerations were really a deciding factor, it would be easy enough to shill for some other expert opinion about the relative merits of the building, which could easily enough be obtained. As well all know, there really isn't a last word on such matters, is there?

If everything was reduced to that "I like it / I don't like it" level of aesthetic judgement we wouldn't have any cultural standards at all.

Aesthetics is one small part of heritage preservation.

Re: aesthetics. So who shall we appoint, then, to make our decisions for us about what we like and don't like and why? Are you willing to live with her/his judgements?

Re: I like it / I don't like it. Perhaps you jest, or forget other threads.

Lisa Rochon on the decorative aspects of the University of Waterloo's Pharmacy Building: Just when we had grown weary of green-tinted glass infecting our cities like the winter flu, a building comes along that replaces the deadening curtain wall with a contemporary tapestry alive with lushly painted flowers and medicinal herbs. University of Waterloo's School of Pharmacy by Hariri Pontarini Architects is irreverent, gutsy and imperfect. Most compelling is the way a seven-storey building can communicate, even in the winter-weary downtown of Kitchener, Ont., that maybe, yes, strawberry fields are forever.

Urban Shocker on the University of Waterloo's Pharmacy Building: This building looks as if some mad interior decorator threw a hissy and stormed out, hanging only half the drapes.

Who are we to believe? Which expert to follow?

Yes, I know that aesthetics can be part of what constitutes 'heritage'.

In the example you give, Rochon obviously sides with 'heritage' as a novelty act. She hates green glass and describes it as akin to a 'winter flu' that the Pharmacy is pulling her out of. A winter cruise would have cured her seasonal affective disorder and gotten her out of the office to make new friends. Her reference to the hippy-dippy drug-induced world of Beatles' songs suggests she's taken the herbal concept of the Pharmacy building a bit too far.

Ah, though, there's the rub. You appeal to a concept of "cultural standards" that you are applying to the Kenson, with the strong intimation that we had all ought listen to you. But the building has been assessed by presumed experts hired by the city for that very purpose, and included on the Inventory as a result of their deliverations. Why should your opinion matter?

As regards Rochon, you seem to be suggesting that we take your opinions over hers with a couple of sharp retorts. But if the "cultural standards" are going to be set and adhered to, then I suggest that you best realize you aren't in the driver's seat, and that Rochon is a much more likely candidate to be an arbiter of the standards you seek.

As Michael McClelland points out, and as anyone with eyes can see when they look around the city, there's nothing special about the Kenson. Still, maybe the portico can be squirrelled away somewhere inside the lobby to prevent the 1920s faux Georgian fetishist lobby from having a messy public meltdown? We wouldn't want that.

Aesthetic standards are the basis for what we see in our museums, art galleries, theatres, ballet and opera houses and recital rooms, and it is nurtured in our art schools, ballet schools and music schools. That's also why we now have a fledgling building design review process, conducted by elite practising architects rather than by bureaucrats.

Aesthetic standards are the basis for what we see in our museums, art galleries, theatres, ballet and opera houses and recital rooms, and it is nurtured in our art schools, ballet schools and music schools. That's also why we now have a fledgling building design review process, conducted by elite practising architects rather than by bureaucrats.

Only a few problems here. One one hand, you make repeated references to a kind of cultural concensus, using terminology like elite practising architects and cultural standards. You assert that aesthetic standards are the basis of what goes into our galleries and museums. Then, departing from this line of argument, you state that "anyone with eyes" can that the Kenson is irrelevant. This is a flawed argument in many ways.

1. The people making decisions about what goes into our art galleries and museums are bureaucrats, acting exactly as do the bureaucrats who decide what goes on to the inventory of heritage properties.

2. You have a naive faith in the contents of our museums, but in fact what ends up in the collection is based on aesthetics, and on a whole host of other concerns, such as who the donor is, how much they give to the institution, it's relationship to the collection. For instance, I doubt the AGO set out to own a collection of ships, nor do I imagine that every instance of that collection, considered on its own merits, would be included in the collection. In the context of a whole room of ships, though, every ship might add to our understanding of the whole. Finally, museums and art galleries acquire many works that never appear on the walls, and their collections are always in a process of being recycled, with deaccessions occurring regularly. Your faith in this kind of instititional decision is touching, but it renders your complete disregard for those deciding what goes onto the Inventory of Heritage Properties rather puzzling. My point with this argument is that such decisions are complex, made for many reasons, of which aesthetic judgements are really only one, and are revisited frequently. The decisions are made in a complex organizational and financial context and are no different from decisions about the Inventory.

3. As you should know, even when you have a roomful of experts together, such as on a design review panel, they frequently disagree with each other stridently. Their decisions are not unanimous, but formed from a process of concensus. Who knows what kind of considerations they take into their judgements. Architects are full of ego, would it not be possible for someone sitting on a design review panel to use that authority to take a swipe at a colleague? Who knows what motivates people? We are all human, after all. I find your reliance on experts such as elite practicing architects to be simplistic.

4. I don't think in the case of the Kenson in particular that you really are calling for your experts to make a decision, after all, they have decided and the building was considered to merit being preserved. My final point is you keep playing both sides of this coin. On the one hand, there is a cultural standard based on aesthetics and determined by elite experts in the field. On the other hand, whenever you happen to disagree then the elite opinion is yours to decline (citing Ms. Rochon, above, but don't I also remember you criticising the many repeated busts created by a sculpture machine in the AGO - certainly, you're not above critiquing the collections when you want to). I believe the bottom line here is that you wish for the words of elites to be followed until the very moment that you disagree with them, at which point your words trumps theirs, presumably.

Frankly, that's a bit much to take. I wonder if the original recommendation about the Kenson said, "anybody with eyes can see it's worth preserving".

(For the record, I don't actually care that much about the Kenson, though I would mourn its passing, too. But I think the discussion of its merits here has been without merit, and whether or not it's portico is too big this way or that is completely silly).

3. As you should know, even when you have a roomful of experts together, such as on a design review panel, they frequently disagree with each other stridently. Their decisions are not unanimous, but formed from a process of concensus. Who knows what kind of considerations they take into their judgements. Architects are full of ego, would it not be possible for someone sitting on a design review panel to use that authority to take a swipe at a colleague? Who knows what motivates people? We are all human, after all. I find your reliance on experts such as elite practicing architects to be simplistic.

And besides, there's something else to keep in mind: Michael McClelland may be an expert in his field, but he's also working as a hired gun here--which, in the end, does colour (and as a lot of heritage types will tell you, not for the first time, either) his point of emphasis. It's all about vested interests, remember.

As for myself...well, as I've indicated before, I'd go so far as to appreciate the Kenson in its entirety, including the frankly not-for-show brick backsides and light courts; much as I was one to coo over the "functionalistic" concrete/brick alley elevation of Addison On Bay--but not to the point of insisting that said entirety be frozen in amber.

Not to keep going on, but Urban Shocker's singular focus on aesthetics is likely the culprit here - it's certainly not the only driving force in any decision whether something ends up in a museum or gallery or on the Inventory. The decision to preserve is much more multifaceted than that viewpoint allows.

A few examples:

A sketch of a Inuit woman made by a 20 year old in Pangnirtung last year won't soon be in a museum or gallery, but the same thing from 1850 might well be, whether or not the 2008 version shows higher artistic merit or not.

An Egyptian artifact on display at the ROM might forever have sat in storage at the British Museum or in a museum in Alexandria, simply because of the scope of the collection there, not because of any intrinsic aesthetic merits it bears - the institutions are simply quite different.

I could go on, but the emphasis on mere aesthetics, quite aside from the doubtful propositions regarding expert opinion on this, is misguided in this case. US's strong orientation is towards aesthetics, and I appreciate that, but it's not leading him correctly here.

The status of any cultural institution, such as those Archivist mentions, rests on the quality of its display collections, so clearly aesthetic considerations are paramount. Where they have a wealth of significant artifacts they have the luxury of rotating their displays. In areas where they are weaker they must decide how much to display, if at all. These are decisions based on quality. A minor piece of common-or-garden faux Georgian from 1927 like the Kenson portico is unlikely to be given its own gallery like the Bishop White Gallery frescoes, for instance - even if it is donated and the ROM says thank-you-very-much because they're too polite to say no. Archivist himself points out the likelihood that objects of secondary significance won't be displayed, and probably de-accessioned.

The purpose of the design review process, as with any collegial peer review of creative work, is to have a second and third set of eyes look at a design. Be not afraid, Archivist - as Bruce Kuwabara pointed out at the TSA Design Review forum last week, "The 'crit.' is a fundamental driver of knowledge' regardless of whether it is at the student or professional level. One would be disappointed if it wasn't the elite of pracising architects employed to assess proposals by less assured architects on behalf of the public. From all reports I've read the Aura condo review was well recieved by everyone involved, and the architects at the TSA forum spoke well of how the process has gone to date.

Lisa Rochon is hardly the elite of practising architects. Maybe she likes the chintzy window treatments of that Pharmacy building because she's a frustrated interior decorator? Maybe she's just wowed by the chutzpa of the apparent nepotism involved in the commission? Who knows?

I doubt if the original recommendation about the Kenson said, "anybody with eyes can see it's worth preserving". More likely it was couched in the sort of bet-hedging bureaucratic jargon that one would expect; the sort of process that might have brought Rack House 'M' within an inch of being listed.

Both the AGO and the ROM are acquiring and showing contemporary art, and there's no reason why a 20 year old artist from Pangnirtung would be excluded from their collection. In fact they're both displaying new and old artworks side by side in several of their galleries.

Shocker, if you want to believe that the ROM collects pretty things, go right ahead. I won't disabuse you of the notion. Strangely, aesthetic considerations are entirely absent from the mandate of the institution, but this argument is moving into parody of itself, the bottom line is that you have a stongly filtered view of the world which is unlikely to change, even given that it overlaps only obliquely with reality. So be it.

Rubbish. Aesthetics are central to the ROM's mandate, which is based on collecting and displaying the arts and the natural world. The AGO is all-aesthetics-all-the-time. Both are also research institutions.

Their reputations are based on the excellence of their collections. If they were the aesthetic-free zones you claim, Toronto would be an international laughing stock.

First of all, I never claimed that the ROM is an aesthetics free zone, merely that their mission and their collection mandate makes no mention of collecting aesthetically pleasing objects. Aesthetics is one critieria, among many, that will determine whether something is acquired. This is not even arguable. Excellence and aesthetics are different things, which you mistakenly consider as interchangeable. That's all I'm saying.

As for Lisa Rochon, not only does she have a regular column in the Globe, published books on architecture, is quite regularly a panel member when architecture is discussed, and she's also been a jury member for architectural awards (sitting alongside Kuwabara, etc.), and in fact sits on the various design competitions in the city. Indisputably, she is among the elite you speak of. But, apparently because you disagree with a recent column she wrote, you've decided that she's not among the elite you speak of. This is just an example of what I would describe as a strong filtering process. Think about how absurd it is - here we're arguing about the position of Rochon in the architectural firmament in the city because happen to disagree with her on the Waterloo building. It begs the question - where's your publications? On which juries have you sat? How is it that you get to profess on who is elite and who is not? Why should I pay the least attention?

I have no problem with your strong emphasis on aesthetics, it's the filter by which you understand the world. But you should realize that the rest of us don't happen to live in your world, it's ours too.

Back