News   Aug 07, 2024
 217     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 208     0 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 2.3K     3 

Heritage Preservation and Aesthetic Judgment

Naturally. I'm sure you love watching me though. As a grey bat I'm very colour-full.

Maybe the mods will give you your own dedicated thread - Syn's Bat Cave. You can flutter about in perpetual darkness and not bump into things and tell us all what fun you're having with your sonar.

Previewed the ROM's Schad Gallery of Biodiversity this morning. As each new exhibit opens, the same minimalist approach has been taken with the displays. Beautiful objects are the focus, either from the natural world or the arts, and there is minimal background clutter. There are no dioramas in the Schad Gallery, for instance. You connect with the exhibited objects through their visual appeal, as in the rest of the Museum. It's a bit like going into any art gallery, really. And of course you can't reach into the display cases and touch the exhibits, they can only be appreciated for their aesthetic beauty.

With the Schad displays, the ROM makes the most of anything that is furry, or has feathers, or has a hide ( like the big white rhino ) and was once living. But the fish and amphibians on display are entirely artificial, creations of display artists. It looks as if a huge amount of care has gone into recreating exactly what these fish and amphibians look like. There is a small display of dead things, pickled in preserving fluid, and one can easily see why a gallery full of dead pickled things would have limited appeal compared to the aesthetically attractive models that have been so artistically created.

There's also an exhibit of pretty, pretty, pretty live things, living on a coral reef, and some live ants!

Back