News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

This Ontario Safety League is annoying me. Not because I think they'll succeed in shutting down the WaveDecks, but just because their argument just seems so ridiculous and obvious.

There are Darwin Awards for a reason!

Kirstopher wrote: I understand your frustration, but that's not a very mature response. Apparently it's okay to talk like this on this forum now

kristopher, in your old age do you ever wonder if anyone actually cares?

p5

They are the awards handed out to stupid people that do stupid things. Google it.

Not simply stupidity. It's given to people who through their stupidity get themselves killed and therefore help along natural selection by weeding out the idiotic amongst us so that they don't reproduce (ideally anyway I suppose, I'm sure some Darwin award winners have reproduced).

Swearing on the internet!? Now I've seen everything!

I would expect it on a place like SSC. To me Urban Toronto has always been a little more classy. According to the rules here, swearing is not allowed, which is where my comment comes from. I swear all the time, so I'm not bothered by it. I just think there are times and places when it's appropriate.

Here's the deal:

1) The Moderators are busy people, and do not get paid for moderating, and therefore cannot always be on the forum at every moment to nip stuff in the bud that may contravene forum rules.

2) Although several posts here do contravene forum rules, the frustration being leveled at the self-appointed Ontario Safety League practically screams out for such language to properly convey the contempt in which some of our members hold the OSL's pronouncements. The naughty, naughty words used can even be seen to have been carefully measured in their use in various posts in this thread.

Those two points made, we do not want this kind of language to occur regularly on the forum. As the point has now been made regarding OSL, any further instances of swearing in this thread with be expunged from the record. Not that you can't continue to complain, just moderate your own language here please when you do complain.

^^ Thanks interchange42.

Now is there anything you can do about the self-appointed "moderators" too? :D

Thank you Interchange! I noted the unusual swearing as well, and like you, I felt that in this case it was justified to a large extent. Usually, though, it's good practice to say something like "sorry for the language, I just can't help myself" or some kind of recognition that what you are saying is atypical.

As for the League, one sort of does want this collection of busybodies suffers some sort of horrible event at their offices some day.

Hey, it's Mississauga, anything's possible.

By the way, address all firebombs, grenades, feces, etc. to:

Ontario Safety League
2595 Skymark Ave, Suite 212
Mississauga, Ontario L4W4L5

Also, if an online form/survey/person in the street/creeper at club asks for your number, give them this one:

905 625 0677

Their mission statement is also laughably vague:

"The Ontario Safety League has attained a stature that has endured for nearly a century due to the league being founded on sound and timeless principles. The first and foremost principle for our lasting success is the League's timeless core values and enduring purpose."

So the list of 'lasting' and 'timeless' principles which form their mantra begins with their desire to have 'timeless core values' and an 'enduring purpose?'

"We, the staff and the Board of Directors are passionately dedicated to these same timeless principles and we have the personnel and the clarity of purpose to expand the League’s principles and values throughout the province and the country."

So you and your buddies have nothing to do but push an overbearing yet strategically vague agenda of 'safety' on those who actually can tie their own shoes?

"The ability to maintain order, yet embrace change simultaneously is the challenge that we have today. "

Ooooooh, 'maintain order,' as if we are on the precipice of some sort of 'revolution of unsafety' - I ask, what order must be maintained? and who should be the arbiter of this maintenance? I would assume from that statement that the OSL believes they alone should police peoples habits, ensuring that they don't hurt themselves when ordering a latte, painting landscapes or enjoying a new waterfront boardwalk. Furthermore, How do I know if I am properly 'maintaining order,' or is this something I should not worry myself with since the OSL has seemingly 'got it covered.'

But what insults me most is that they claim to 'embrace change.' The Wavedecks in particular represent the city Toronto is striving to be: a truly world class place which works with talented designers, both locally grown and internationally imported, who envision and create spaces which inspire, animate, arouse, enliven, motivate, touch, influence, exhilarate and provoke us.

The true challenge we have today is to minimize the OSL's legitimacy and influence. In that vein, I'll get the ball rolling...

BRIAN PATTERSON SEX TAPE SCANDAL!

Imagine being this guys child. If he has kids he probably makes them wear bubble wrap and helmets.

Last edited:
I could understand the concern if the really high wave decks didn't have railing, but they do.

Back