News   Jul 22, 2024
 150     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 272     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Has T.O. gone to far in turning downtown residential?

"Vancouver and Portland are rapidly running out of parking lots (ie., "easily developable" sites) in their downtowns. Toronto has far, far more downtown parking lots than both of these cities combined. "

The majority of the vacant development sites are south of queen and east and west of the core. Not only are many on the smaller side for Class A commercial development but height restrictions are strictly imposed

But zoning can be changed. Look, for example the amazing transformation wrought by Barbara Hall's zoning changes on King Street.

There has to be enough room for at least 15 more 50+ storey office buildings downtown... which is a 30 year supply (minimum). That includes clearing out smaller buildings (like Sapphire would do). Then add your 15-20 storey buildings that can fit in dozens more places downtown, and assume some will be built in the vast portlands that are equal in area to the existing downtown... it's really premature to worry about Toronto running out of space.

I think Toronto is in pretty good shape, myself. There is a decent balance of residential and commercial, but they are not always next to one another. The CBD does seem pretty dead after work hours. I read an article a while back (the details of which I can't remember) that said Trump Tower will be a huge strategic development (if it goes up) in shaping the character of the CBD. It was billed as a catalyst of creating life down there after business hours. I tend to agree. I think as the first building to really try the CBD residential thing it faces an uphill battle but it may actually serve to open the floodgates for others if it can just get built. It was probably close to a year ago that I read the article.

I agree with OT that there isn't a "problem" with our residential/office mix, though it certainly is in transition. In most cities the financial district is quiet during off hours. This is true of London, Paris and New York, as much as it is of Toronto. It's an odd time to raise the issue, just as commercial developing in the core seems immanent.

I wouldn't say that Trump is the first, we have 1 King West right in the district, and you could argue that the Cosmpolitan is close enough as well. And actually, I'd tend to say that the Empire Plaza Condos were the real trail blazer for residential in the area.

I have never warmed to the widely held assumption that King and Bay needs "life after business hours".

What's with this fear of silence, and emptiness, and the possibility of enjoying the same space in entirely different ways at different times of day, and on different days of the week?

We dont bus in hordes of circus acrobats and marching bands to breathe life into residential neighbourhoods when Mom and Dad are at work and the kids are at school and the streets are deserted from 9 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday and every bit as quiet as King and Bay is on the weekend.

bb, so true. There's a pleasantly out of place feeling you get from walking around a very quite Wall Street or St. Mary's Axe on a Sunday, when all the stores and restaurants are closed and there are only Security Guards about, and a few workers smoking.

Exactly. A pox on the forces of mixed use and their dreary, homogenizing campaign to get every corner of the joint jumpin' equally, and in the same ratio, all the time, and forever!

We dont bus in hordes of circus acrobats and marching bands to breathe life into residential neighbourhoods when Mom and Dad are at work and the kids are at school and the streets are deserted from 9 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday and every bit as quiet as King and Bay is on the weekend.
Good point Babel, although I do think that a good case can be made that making the MINT a more all-day destination would better maximize the infrastructure in the area (primarily talking transit here).

I wish there was a series of weekend classical concerts in the TD Centre courtyard as part of the ongoing cultural celebrations.

Aaron Copland's evocative "Quiet City" would capture the mood of that part of town perfectly.

^^^The downtown CBD is very different from a sleepy residential neighbourhood.

Having said that, I think that despite the cost I can't think of a downside to having hordes of circus acrobats in my neighbourhood. I think you are on to something there. Miller might want to make it part of his upcoming "Buff and Flexible City" campaign.

BB - I never really thought of that but I do kinda like it.

Wow- nice a vague myles, nice a vague.

Back